PDA

View Full Version : Mottey cues

TommyT
04-02-2003, 10:35 AM
Can anyone share their opinions on Mottey cues?. I cashed in a mutual fund that was bleeding money and have decided to buy another high end cue. Do they hold their value. At first I wanted to get a Southwest but see a Mottey that looks pretty good. The Southwests I've seen on E-bay seem to be overpriced. Should I hold out for a reasonably priced Southwest or buy the Mottey?

Thanks,
TommyT /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Jimmy Mendoza
04-02-2003, 10:41 AM
Mottey builds a great cue and they will more than hold their value.

Paul_Mon
04-02-2003, 01:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TommyT:</font><hr> I cashed in a mutual fund that was bleeding money and have decided to buy another high end cue. Do they hold their value.
Thanks,
TommyT /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

No they don't Tom. Try investing in sow bellies.

Paul Mon~~~glad to help

04-02-2003, 03:09 PM
definitely Mottey. i see Southwest cues losing thier value drastically in the next few years. there's an awful lot of Southwests out there now and alot of hand-made copies that hit the same if not far better. i'd ignore high prices for Southwest's made after 1995. i'd pay an extra thousand for pre 1995 for the quality and hit, not to collect. and ebay,??? i'm doing searches on Southwest's there every two days and there are many good deals... far less money than finished price and far less considering waiting 3 years for a limited custom cue. i was on the list as i caught Southwest fever like many others and cancelled my order after it was delayed twice. that was five years ago and probably a good investment but i want to play with my cues not store them perfectly. a shame that cue collecting has become 3/4 of the way to wine collecting. just drink the stuff, celebrate a sunny day and drink the cellers down on a picknic. to cue hoarders...use the damn things..that's what they are made for. investements are better left to diverse stocks and bonds. thank goodness the newest pool movie wasn't a hit as cue prices would be even worse. delays are all fixed as cue production there is a little factory now. i've seen it and i don't want a cue that people don't care to create. i'd rather cue making be a passion not a production line. i've seen very good deals on ebay for post 1995 Southwests. 1800 for what you'd pay 2100 for to get the fun of waiting. the cue and name and hit and care of Southwests, i'll say it, are far differant now than When Mr. Franklin was alive. i want care and concern in my cue, regardless of price. Mottey still offers that and luckily doesn't have a friggin production line. visit next time your in Las Vegas and you'll never buy a new one. visit Mottey and you will.
best regards,
^v^

04-02-2003, 03:26 PM
P.S. 1995 or earlier Southwest cues actually hit as well as thier mystique.. which reminds me.. although i'll probably edit this post or delete it later. Mysticue is probably the best value in the world on cues now, you have long Balabushka, Rambow trained lineage melded with true creativity from a kind interesting person that completely cares to make a good cue. the best i've seen in my little life. Brad Zaccone makes the best cue available and if your worried about an investment than don't buy but your in that price range. it's true modern lovely smart versions of Kersenbrock cues. my .02 a level or three above Mottey
^v^

Cueless Joey
04-02-2003, 04:00 PM
Paul can't make cues forever. He is getting up there in age I think. His cues will pick up value for sure.
I am not impressed with post Jerry SW's at all.

dg-in-centralpa
04-02-2003, 07:28 PM
Ever think about a Richard Black? He's getting up in years and all his cues are handmade and great to play with. His seem to hold their value. He makes a cue that resembles a Balabushka. I bought one 2 years ago and don't regret it. I was using a midrange Predator from 1999. The Predator is now my break stick.

dddd
04-02-2003, 11:07 PM
buying cues with mutual fund money seems to me to be problematic
wont it be like the fund you just exited from?
the cue wont bring money in.
to me jennymae fannymae or bank, insurance, or conservative bond funds will generate a return.
it just doesnt seem right to spend retirement cash for current pleasure.
just my humble opinion.

TommyT
04-03-2003, 11:43 AM
It's discretionary income. I won't be going without because of this. You sound like my wife. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

TommyT