PDA

View Full Version : Cut shot aiming technique

Yuppie
04-02-2003, 10:56 AM
I've found that this works for me on shots that I'm not familiar/comfortable with.

Draw a line on the outside of the object ball and aim your CB so that it meets that line and the object ball. Kind of like the ghost ball technique, but seems to be a little more precise for me.

START(
%JP0J8%KR2^9%P\0G2%WC4D3%XR5M0%YQ7K2%Z`4E5

)END

What else works for people?

L.S. Dennis
04-02-2003, 11:16 AM
Some 40+ years ago when I was in my early teens 'Tugboat Whaley' took my under his wing and show me some of his little secrets regarding pool shots. One of the things he showed me was his aiming technique on really tough cut shots. What he said to do is to draw line (similar to the one you showed on the wei table) a half a cue balls width through the object ball and aim at that spot with a center cue ball shot.

Just one thing that he showed me that I never forgot and still use from time to time.

Hope this helps

Perk
04-02-2003, 11:17 AM
I wouldnt be able to focus on that method, only because that line of contact is actually behind the object ball. I pretty much use the feel for the cut more than any system, but when i get a particular cut that is not in my muscle/feel memory, I usually use the straight line point of contact method.

I tryed to show it with the WEI...I use the green aiming point to pocket that particular shot you showed.
START(
%JP0J8%KR2^9%P[8G4%WD0D0%XS3L7%YM5L6%Z[3G3%]L2M5%^^4F4

)END

Just my thoughts...I hope that WEI table shows what point i was tryin to make..

04-04-2003, 07:20 PM
Pot a million balls, then you won't have to ask this question any more. Fast Larry Guninger www.fastlarrypool.com (http://www.fastlarrypool.com) VENI, VIDI, VICI.....

HALHOULE
02-26-2006, 07:35 AM
USE A PROFESSIONAL AIMING SYSTEM AND YOU WILL NOT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS POCKETING AND BANKING BALLS ACCURATELY AND CONSISTENTLY.

HAL HOULE

shakeybake
03-03-2006, 06:13 AM
What professional aiming system do you promote Hal, and where can one be obtained?

mybreak
03-03-2006, 09:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast Larry:</font><hr> Pot a million balls, then you won't have to ask this question any more. Fast Larry Guninger VENI, VIDI, VICI..... <hr /></blockquote>

These insightful words of advice from an instructor of pool. Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. Why would anyone pay for a lesson on aiming or anything with this guy? Just hit a million balls and your problems are solved.

Scott Lee
03-03-2006, 11:56 AM
You do realize that FL's post is three years old, don't you? Plus, he's been banned from this forum for a long time, because of his brash, obnoxious attitude. Now you have an inkling of why few people do seek him out... besides, he's not really an instructor, he's an entertainer.

Scott Lee

supergreenman
03-03-2006, 02:01 PM
sort of off topic, but I wonder how many balls I've shot in my lifetime.

Anybody care to guess at thier potting total?

dr_dave
03-03-2006, 02:52 PM
mybreak,

As Scott Lee points out, this thread IS VERY OLD. For newer (and sometimes lengthy) threads dealing with aiming systems and issues, see the links under "aiming" in the threads summary area of my website (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/threads.html).

Regards,
Dave

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mybreak:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast Larry:</font><hr> Pot a million balls, then you won't have to ask this question any more. Fast Larry Guninger VENI, VIDI, VICI..... <hr /></blockquote>

These insightful words of advice from an instructor of pool. Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. Why would anyone pay for a lesson on aiming or anything with this guy? Just hit a million balls and your problems are solved.
<hr /></blockquote>

jjinfla
03-03-2006, 05:16 PM
Actually what FL said has been said many times before. All by pros. Even Mosconi. All have made a few million balls. And it does make sense. The more balls you sink, the more automatic it becomes. The shot becomes intuitively clear.

Mike Sigel recommends using outside english on every cut shot.

I calculated that I had crossed the 1 million mark this year. After 7 years of playing just about every day.

Jake

mybreak
03-04-2006, 06:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> Actually what FL said has been said many times before. All by pros. Even Mosconi. All have made a few million balls. And it does make sense. The more balls you sink, the more automatic it becomes. The shot becomes intuitively clear.

Mike Sigel recommends using outside english on every cut shot.
Jake <hr /></blockquote>

I thought Sigel recommended using INSIDE english on every cut shot.

Hitting one million balls won't do anything for a player if they're doing something wrong and just ingraining a bad habit. Nor will hitting one million balls do anything if they haven't a clue to what could or should be done that works more effectively than what they may have stumbled upon.

"Just hit a million balls" is a totally flawed cliche and an absolutely ridiculous statement, especially coming from a supposed instructor whose job is to shortcut the learning curve before hitting even 10,000 balls.

jjinfla
03-04-2006, 04:32 PM
I saw the "use outside english" in Sigel's latest DVD that he and Kevin Trudeau put out. Of course I am sure that all goes out the window when he is playing certain position shots.

And it should be "sink" a million balls, not just hit them.

And of course, doing that does not make anyone a pro. I am proof of that. I am just average, or a cut above, with no hope of getting much better no matter how many balls I sink.

Knowing all the theories in the world doesn't mean squat if a person can't put them to practice on a table.

Jake

mybreak
03-04-2006, 05:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> I saw the "use outside english" in Sigel's latest DVD that he and Kevin Trudeau put out. Of course I am sure that all goes out the window when he is playing certain position shots.

That just goes to show they're all full of crap because he wrote an article in BD a couple of years ago about aiming and shooting in the article he said INSIDE english.

And it should be "sink" a million balls, not just hit them.

That doesn't matter either. You still have to be doing it correctly and also using the most effective way of making the shot which may very well be beyond one's level of knowledge.

And of course, doing that does not make anyone a pro. I am proof of that. I am just average, or a cut above, with no hope of getting much better no matter how many balls I sink.

Well said.

Knowing all the theories in the world doesn't mean squat if a person can't put them to practice on a table.

Even better said!
<hr /></blockquote>