PDA

View Full Version : Handicapped tournies...

Predator314
04-02-2003, 02:13 PM
I've never played in a tourney with handicaps. All the tournies I play in are heads up.

One of my friends was at a pool hall in Winston Salem, NC and played in a 9-ball tourney while there. It was a race to 7 and he had to spot everyone 2 games. He said there were a few really good players there and he had to spot them 2 games also.

Is this standard practice for an unknown to spot everyone games? This seems unfair to me. How do these handicapped tournies determine a player's ability if they have never seen them shoot?

Perk
04-02-2003, 02:17 PM
Around here, newcombers must be rated above average until proven otherwise. It is common to have some one really good slip in under the table, as well as having a newbie get overrated to start. Some tourneys even have a clause to adjust during the tourney.

L.S. Dennis
04-02-2003, 02:43 PM
Perk is correct. In most cases a tournament director has the ability to adjust a person's average before, during, or after a tournament.

Generally a tournament director depends on other people's opinion of a player's ability if the player is unknown to the director.

Here on the west coast we have the USPPA and the NPL as principal nineball handicap formats. For instance not too long ago Corey Deuell was in town and one of the USPPA handicap tournaments was about to begin. He decided to play in it and the tournament director put him at a 170 (a very high rating) and he didn't win.

The handicap system gives the lesser talanted player a sense that he/she has a chance to win which gives rise to the old saying,
'Even the blind chicken can find the corn!'

04-02-2003, 06:14 PM
Handicaped tournaments are well known on the coasts. around the texarkana area they are relatively new. the reason that i cannot disagree with is to give a chance to the regulars..... a couple of years ago here that became the only way to get a large tournament pot. to me it's good, anything that can help the road player and the pool room is a good idea to me. without handicaps the same three people win the tournament every time.. so much so in my case for perpetual third..third bird. it was money i counted on . there's one pool hall locally that the same girl wins with the handicap(she works there so somethings fishy :-) and also she benifits that all women get the 7 spot for nine or the 8. strange how at times that little spot can be huge on top of a handicap match. new players are assumed a three for male and two for women. road player money for a few times.
i severely dislike Tom Fitzmorris,
^v^