PDA

View Full Version : 9 ball rules question

Geoff
04-02-2003, 02:53 PM
If you are on the 9 ball, all other balls have been pocketed, and you pocket the 9 and scratch the cue ball, is that loss of game? Or is the 9 placed on the spot and incoming player has bih?
Also in 9 ball, if while shooting/preparing to shoot you mistakenly touch/move another object ball, is this a foul resulting in the end of your turn and incoming player having bih? I have seen people play this way, and I have also seen some play that it is not a foul?? I guess there are different rules. What would be the "normal" or most accepted way to play?

04-02-2003, 03:04 PM
1) Technically, the 9 ball is spotted and incoming player has BIH, but most of the time if the players are halfway decent shooters, it is pretty much accepted as loss of game.

2) If you move an object ball, your opponent chooses whether you move it back to where it was, or leave it, and you proceed to shoot.

Predator314
04-02-2003, 03:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Geoff:</font><hr> If you are on the 9 ball, all other balls have been pocketed, and you pocket the 9 and scratch the cue ball, is that loss of game? Or is the 9 placed on the spot and incoming player has bih?
Also in 9 ball, if while shooting/preparing to shoot you mistakenly touch/move another object ball, is this a foul resulting in the end of your turn and incoming player having bih? I have seen people play this way, and I have also seen some play that it is not a foul?? I guess there are different rules. What would be the "normal" or most accepted way to play? <hr /></blockquote>

Technically, if you pocket the 9 and scratch, the game continues... the 9 ball is spotted and the opposing player has BIH. Unless the opposing player is really bad, the game is over.

On the pro tour, I believe they cannot touch any ball or it's a foul. In most of the places around here, if you accidently move a ball, the opposing player has the option of placing that ball in the original spot. I played in a tournament last week that said it was only a foul if the moved ball is the next ball in order. It varies from place to place. I'm a fan of it being a foul. This adds to the difficulty of the game /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ken
04-02-2003, 03:24 PM
It sounds like you were playing Texas Express rules where you can touch any single object ball except the lowest numbered ball. Many tournaments use these rules and some still go by not allowing any ball to be touched but those are usually observed by a referee. It gets more complicated so here are the rules:

http://www.texasexpress.com/rules_sec6.htm

KenCT

Geoff
04-02-2003, 03:26 PM
thanks guys, I figured you were supposed to spot the 9, but most around here dont do it...just quicker to call it a loss.
I have been playing touch any other object ball, and its a foul, resulting in BIH..I too like the heightened difficulty. Do the pro women play this as a foul? I thought so, but I noticed a few times at San Diego Classic a player clearly touched another object ball, but no foul was assesed.

04-04-2003, 07:18 PM
Has it ever occured to you to go buy a rule book, read it, understand it, then carry it in your pool case. Fast Larry Guninger www.fastlarrypool.com (http://www.fastlarrypool.com) VENI, VIDI, VICI....

bell
04-04-2003, 08:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast Larry:</font><hr> Has it ever occured to you to go buy a rule book, read it, understand it, then carry it in your pool case. Fast Larry Guninger www.fastlarrypool.com (http://www.fastlarrypool.com) VENI, VIDI, VICI.... <hr /></blockquote>

Fast Larry
I want to buy a rule book. Where do I send to get one?

jjinfla
04-04-2003, 09:02 PM
Go to www.bca-pool.com (http://www.bca-pool.com)and click on products and on the right side there is the new rule book for 2003. spiral bound no less. Only $9.00. don't know what shipping is. Jake

Wally_in_Cincy
04-05-2003, 11:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bell:</font><hr>

Fast Larry
I want to buy a rule book. Where do I send to get one? <hr /></blockquote>

I'm sure Fast Larry will sell you one.

Wally_in_Cincy
04-05-2003, 11:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast Larry:</font><hr> Has it ever occured to you to go buy a rule book, read it, understand it, then carry it in your pool case. Fast Larry Guninger <hr /></blockquote>

Has it ever occured to you that you are an obnoxious prick?