PDA

View Full Version : Inside cut rail bank shot .. hits CB on rebound ??

Snyder1
04-03-2003, 08:03 AM
This is the one shot that frustrates me to no end ... imagine a ball near the rail and is set up for a fairly easy bank shot into a side pocket, BUT requiring an inside cut (outside cuts are no problem with this shot). Imagine the line is pretty good, should be an easy bank shot, but the ball hits the cue ball practically every time on the rebound off the rail. I've tried more & less pace on the CB, english, draw with NO success. Is there any way to make this shot without hitting the cb off the rail, or should it be avoided (seems to come up alot in 9 ball). Thanks /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Predator314
04-03-2003, 10:12 AM
Try using some inside english and draw the cue ball to get it out of the way. Using the Wei Table (http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/%7Ewei/pool/pooltable2.html) try this shot.

START(
%AN7O5%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%Pg9V9
)END

Put the cue ball on the spot and object ball exactly one diamond up from the side pocket and one ball width away from the rail. To bank it in the side you need to use bottom inside english. The inside (right) english will put left english on the object ball. When the object ball strikes the rail with the left english, the bank will shorten up. The bottom english on the cue ball is to draw the cue ball away from the object ball.

Paul_Mon
04-03-2003, 11:10 AM
Your shot on the WEI table was a full rack of balls. Try this

START(
%Aa6E2%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%Pg5O9%W[8Z4%X`2C2%eA5b4
)END

This shot requires a soft stroke

Rod
04-03-2003, 11:20 AM
Your diagram did not show up however I know the shot. The key is in speed. When the o/b is on or closer to the rail the angle will only give up so much because there is not time to get the c/b out of the way.

dddd
04-04-2003, 02:06 AM
This shot is not easy. Cue ball will cross the path the object ball takes is asking for contact. Every time probably. You shouldnt try to follow or even stop the q ball its just asking for trouble
Previous post mention draw to pull q ball away from the crash zone!
This is good.
Depending on angle that may be the only way.

If the q ball has a good angle possible cross the ball and spin the object on a good angle.
Also possible changing ratio of speeds (jacking up and shooting q ball) on one of the 2 balls in question will change crash zone.
Possible 2 rail bank as well.

But I believe the best is what the previous post mention!

Snyder1
04-04-2003, 01:03 PM
I'll work on it ...

JS