PDA

View Full Version : Pool and weight lifting

UWPoolGod
04-03-2003, 03:30 PM
I have always had, not a bad draw shot, but definitely not as good compared to some. I have always felt that unless absolutely necessary, try not to use draw..just keep the right angle and flow through to the next object ball. Some of my friends swear by it religiously.

I was playing last night and noticed that while playing that when I draw the ball it isn't a bad or non-fluid stroke that stops my follow through...it is my forearm hitting my bicep. I work out alot and have some decent biceps that I guess are getting in the way. I am picking up my custom 60" cue in a few months. My question is: When I get that cue (or now for that matter), should I grab further back on the cue to get a longer stroke arc...or just deal with it and play the way I have? I already grab on the buttcap of a 58" cue

Todd

04-03-2003, 03:39 PM
I don't know the answer to your question but geeez you must be huge! 60" cue? yeow! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

UWPoolGod
04-03-2003, 03:45 PM
I am about 6'3" without shoes on, up to 6'4" with shoes on. I have always been half uncomfortable shooting with a 58" cue...feels like a toothpick. Plus I always have to grip the cue with my pinky hanging off the buttcap.

04-03-2003, 04:31 PM
Most players change the position of their rear hand depending on the shot. Personally, I find that I can achieve draw easier with my hand on the end as opposed to it on the wrap. JMO.

SpiderMan
04-03-2003, 05:00 PM
Part of it may be your stance and/or body position. I'm about your size (6'3"), with 37" sleeve length, and have dealt with and gotten around some of the height-related issues. A few things to check:

1. Are you bridging an abnormally long way from the cue ball? If so, you are using up a lot of the available stick length in front of your bridge hand, which will naturally require you to grip further back.

2. This is the most common "tall guy" problem I see regarding follow-through interference. At a poolroom with windows or other mirror surface, make your normal bridge and stance, getting down on the shot as if to shoot. Now look at your body in profile. If you move the tip forward until it almost touches the cueball, what is the position of your forearm and upper arm? Is your forearm nearly vertical, and does it make something close to a 90-degree angle with your upper arm? Many tall guys will find that the angle is much more acute, with their arm already bent into a "hairpin", making it impossible to achieve a good follow-through without forearm-bicep interference. Another hint that you have this problem is if your elbow is up noticeably higher than your shoulder with the tip at the cueball. If you're doing this, you may need to adopt a slightly more upright stance. This will get your shoulders higher above the table so that you don't have to "hairpin" your arm in order to stroke those shots that require a lot of motion.

SpiderMan

UWPoolGod
04-03-2003, 05:06 PM
I usually have only about a 6-8 inch bridge length from the cueball. But that is good advice to look at myself in a mirror..I will digital tape myself next time I am at my parents and see if that shows anything. I may need to stand a little higher, I will check it out tonight. Thank you SpiderMan...your my heroooooo.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Todd

Eric.
04-03-2003, 05:10 PM
Hey Todd,

Here's a thought-your weak draw might be in your stroke (stay with me for a minute). I workout too. I notice that if I'm doing Biceps(curls,etc), it kills my finesse on the pool table. In fact, my 'touch' is off for a day or two. If I have a tourney coming up, I don't workout for 4 days before. Maybe your workouts are killing your draw stroke?

Here's another thought- maybe your timing is off. IMO, on the draw shot, you need a light grip with your hand pressure increasing at the moment of cue to CB contact, then follow thru the CB a few inches to finish your stroke. If your forearm is hitting your Bicep, maybe you need to bridge closer to the CB (or get off the steroids /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif). How long is your bridge? I can usually get a decent amount off draw with both a compact or a long stroke.

Eric >my 2 pennies

04-03-2003, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Eric &gt;my 2 pennies http://www.tracylyn.com/~ohanasims/osemotes/2cents2.gif<hr /></blockquote>
http://www.tracylyn.com/~ohanasims/osemotes/cheese.gif

Eric.
04-03-2003, 05:23 PM
'

UWPoolGod
04-03-2003, 05:36 PM
Eric-
I mean my draw stroke isn't bad...I can draw length of the table+ if I need to, but it just seems like I put too much effort into it on long draw shots. I do like your idea of my grip possibly being too tight. upon follow through.
I appreciate all of you ideas

Todd

Ralph S.
04-03-2003, 05:56 PM
I dont think the working out with weights is really all the problem, I would tend to believe its more in the stroke. I dont go to the gym and lift, I get enough of a work-out at my job. I work in a foundry, very physical manual labor. I too, am a very big guy, with just a little of it coming from not being late for dinner LOL. My stroke and mainly the draw are just fine. Sometimes after a very heavy week at work , I need a couple racks to tune up, but the problem is very short term. Work with the stroke and concentrate hitting as low as possible on cue ball. Follow through, dont stab it. At 6'2" and 300 lb., if I can draw the rock all over the place, I know you can too. Just takes some practice. Hope this helps.

Barbara
04-03-2003, 08:51 PM
Todd,

Weight lifting is not bad for you or your pool game. I'm just getting back into it for shape, and I'm loving it again!

If you're just hitting your bicep only on your draw shot, then you're doing something different on that stroke than you would be on any other stroke, and that's not right.

To help you with your stance and stroke, I would suggest that you have someone videotape you from a side angle - your stroke-hand side. Put a cue ball on the table and cue up to the cue ball, take your warm up strokes, then shoot.

Think of your pool stance as a triangle. The cue stick makes up the bottom of the triangle - the base. Your grip hand through your forearm should be perpendicular (90 degrees) to the floor as you're cued up to the cue ball to make the hit. Your bridge arm/hand should be the hypotenuse (the opposite side of the right angle -- in this case, your hand/grip on the cue).

Now this is where different shooting styles vary - where your upper body (upper torso and head) aligns with your bridge arm/hand. Some people prefer to stand taller over their shots while others put their chins on their cues for better sight. It's a matter of preference, but your bridge arm make the hypotenuse of the triangle.

But the most important aspect of your stroke is that when you're hitting the cue ball, your stroke arm is perpendicular to the floor. It's the most accurate hit you can make on a cue ball and where the most impact will be on the cb. So if you're still hitting your bicep, then maybe you have to alter the triangle a little and stand up a little straighter with your back. just make sure you're not putting too much forward pressure on your bridge arm.

HTH,

Barbara

04-04-2003, 06:39 PM
when people see me play, they marvel at the fact that I just touch the ball, with 80% less power than they employ, and draw the CB table length. Power, muscles, weight training have nothing to do with this, it is all acquired knowledge &amp; technique. What I do best, is teach the draw, come see me at the Power Source Pool school, we sell power cheap. www.fastlarrypool.com (http://www.fastlarrypool.com) VENI, VIDI, VICI....

q4summit
04-05-2003, 03:36 AM
LOL I love Fast Larry! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Marc