PDA

View Full Version : Is it too heavy?

04-03-2003, 04:59 PM
hehehhe you all are going to get sick of me asking 5 million questions /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

But I have a McDermott and if I remember right it's 20 oz. and if my memory serves me right the guy was saying something about 12pt? I don't know what that spec is for but I am sure it means something heeehhe I want to give it to my son and wanted to know if he needs a smaller cue stick or if this one will work. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan
04-03-2003, 05:02 PM
No, I don't think it's too heavy. It's not the stick weight relative to the player size that's important, it's more the stick weight relative to the balls. Unless he's going to be playing with abnormally light balls, he shouldn't use an abnormally light cue.

SpiderMan

04-03-2003, 05:11 PM
ok cool! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif ty /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif he's gonna be happy when he gets home. I hope it works for him.

Some of you might be thinking "why the heck she got a McDermott and don't know how to play?" well... when hubby was in the military and we would shoot for fun, the pro shop had this realllyyyyyyyy nice McDermott with a black panther on it and at the bottom had two panthers fighting. I collect anything with wild cats HEHEHHEHE so I had to have it.

Hubby on the other hand has a Meucci, Dufrin (sp check) that he uses to break and a McDermott. He used to play a lot a while back... like ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh 12 years ago. I would love for him to teach my son but we hardly see him now. He works on the other side of the island (2 hour drive each way) and we see him for a whole 5 min when he gets home. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif he's no pro at pool but he is stern so he teaching my son wouldn't be a good idea LOL...

Ken
04-03-2003, 05:36 PM
12pt probably refers to the shaft diameter near the tip. 12 millimeters diameter with a "pro taper" meaning that the 12 mm size is maintained constant for a certain distance back from the tip. Someone else could tell you more about how far back that constant diameter is continued. That's the smallest size that they offer but it is fine for him to start with until he plays enough to tell if he really prefers a different size.

Many cues have a weight screwed into the back which can be changed if you want a different weight. 20 oz. should work well. A lighter cue is a little harder to control because it's easier to move it off line during the stroke.

Once he plays for a while and starts breaking hard he might want a lighter cue for speed and a thicker shaft for strength just for breaking.
KenCT

04-03-2003, 06:08 PM
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ok cool! wow so many things to learn about but very interesting

Sid_Vicious
04-03-2003, 07:08 PM
How would you describe your son,,,age, height and weight. Only way it would be too heavy is if he's tiny(imo.) sid

04-03-2003, 07:12 PM
his stats are:
Height: 4' 9"
Weight: 84lbs

Scott Lee
04-03-2003, 07:40 PM
Hawaiian Fantasy...The cue will be fine to use. Normally we instructors teach a 90 degree/right angle for the arm holding onto the cue. This would mean that when the cuetip is touching (or close) to the CB, your back forearm should be perpendicular (straight up and down) to the table. This allows for a smooth, fluid backswing, and followthrough. With your son being a little shorter, he may need to hold the cue a slight bit farther back, in order to utilize the weight of the cue for the throwing motion of the stroke.
To put it simply...it is better to use the weight of the cue and timing, to stroke through the CB, than to have a tight grip, and muscle the cuestick through the shot. One key for your son, is to watch carefully that he follows through ALL the way to the end of the stroke...this means his grip hand will finish on or near his chest, and the tip will finish on or near the cloth (regardless of where he aims on the CB). This means a light grip on the cue, and a slow backswing, with little or no elbow drop at the end of the stroke. Many young (and older) players have a habit of stopping the natural followthrough motion. You must flex your bicep/tricep to have this happen, so as long as he doesn't flex his muscles when he shoots, he shouldn't have any problems. Like was said earlier, the weight of the cue doesn't really matter that much...the quality of the stroke is FAR more important.

Scott Lee

Sid_Vicious
04-03-2003, 07:55 PM
Good to go! Have fun, learning is the best part...sid

04-03-2003, 07:55 PM
WOW! very informative! thank you so much! are you planning a trip to hawaii any time soon? LOL

*continues to look for vacationers on their way to hawaii* hehehe

Scott Lee
04-04-2003, 12:51 AM
HF...As all my friends know...I accept any and ALL round-trip plane tickets, especially to Hawaii!

Scott Lee

04-04-2003, 12:55 AM
hehehehe scott I bet everyone would love a trip to Hawaii to school a boy for a few days. If I pay for your trip, you need to stay here for a year LMAO!

Scott Lee
04-04-2003, 02:56 AM
HF...Well, a year in Hawaii wouldn't be TOO hard to take! LOL

Scott

Rich R.
04-04-2003, 05:35 AM
Scott, that sounds like an offer you can't refuse. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Predator314
04-04-2003, 09:36 AM
I've got that same cue. Mine is about 10 years old. It was my first "good" cue. I have it hanging on the wall in my bedroom. You cannot tell it's that old at all. No scratchs, dings, or anything.

I just retired that cue 3 years ago when I bought my Helmstetter. I just retired the Helmstetter for my new Predator.

04-04-2003, 09:40 AM
hehehe my first and only one but most definately a beautiful piece. The deep forest green just blended in with eveything.

How does the predator feel?