PDA

View Full Version : "Poolhall Junkies" Was it any good?

Predator
04-04-2003, 12:09 PM
I just ordered an all-regions DVD of the movie and was just wanting to get an honest review of the movie from a "Pool Players" perspective. I know the critics say that is sucks, but, that is their job to be critical about it! If you've seen it, please be honest and tell men if it ROCKS, or not. I should get it from Australia in a day, or so. If you want a copy, go to EBAY and order an ALL REGIONS copy, there are still plenty to go around. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

eg8r
04-04-2003, 12:12 PM
I don't know if the search function is working, but this has been discussed here several times.

There are some who like it, some who do not. I know this is not a great answer, but a simple search should help out.

eg8r

Deeman
04-04-2003, 02:29 PM
Reviews were all over the place, some thought it was pretty good some said it sucked. However, In my opinion, a pool movie that sucks is better than a none-pool movie that sucks and we sit through a lot of those, don't we? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Predator314
04-04-2003, 03:13 PM
Where did you order the DVD and when does it come out?

Ken
04-04-2003, 05:59 PM
After reading Deeman's post it seems to me that he didn't mention ordering it.

Predator in his post says he ordered it from Ebay in Australia and will get it in a day or so: "If you want a copy, go to EBAY and order an ALL REGIONS copy, there are still plenty to go around."

leylantravel seems to be the one selling them:

http://search.ebay.com.au/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&category0=112 32&query=poolhall+junkies&ebaytag1=ebayctry&SortPr operty=MetaEndSort&ebaytag1code=15

04-04-2003, 08:10 PM
Any pool flick, is better than no pool flick, anything that promotes the game, and helps bring attention to it, is a good thing, even if it is a Dog doing it. Wonder Dog....
I watch TV, my favorite channel is Animal Planet, but my master sometimes puts on the Hustler movie or the Color of Money on VHS tape for me to watch. I even like the Baltimore bullet, that one was cool.

Scott Lee
04-04-2003, 09:01 PM
I saw it three times and loved it every time! Good flick!

Scott Lee

L.S. Dennis
04-05-2003, 12:53 AM
Wish we had a chance to see it out here in San Francisco, but they pulled the opening release date on us!

q4summit
04-05-2003, 01:44 AM
It was good. Not great, not spectaculer, not amazing, but good. When you left you wanted to hit the pool hall.

Marc

Predator314
04-05-2003, 08:47 AM
US TV's can't view PAL format can they?

Ken
04-05-2003, 09:15 AM
That is usually the case. Unless you have gotten an expensive TV with both capabilities you probably can't play those DVDs being sold from Australia.

You can buy an expensive converter but if you don't know that you have one of these alternatives you probably don't.

The seller claims that new TVs have the PAL capability but I doubt that they are very common. I don't buy "new" anything so I don't know how prevalent they are.
KenCT

cycopath
04-05-2003, 10:14 AM
I'd just wait for the thing to be released here. As fast as it's been pulled from the theatre surely it'll be out on VHS/DVD soon.

q4summit
04-06-2003, 06:01 AM
I really believe they are doing the "big fat greek weeding" buzz to selling the movie. That movie was in theatres for EVER. I think PHJ will be the same, all through summer.

Marc

bell
04-06-2003, 07:19 PM
PHJ was a total failure as a movie and did nothing to help pool. A cheap knokoff of "color" with bad acting and a cheap use of four letter words which did not help the plot. Pool shots were all speeded up for no particular reason other than to generate dumb viewer ooohs and aaaahs. Generally, phoney and not real pool which would be much better than jacked up graphics.