PDA

View Full Version : Buying a pool table

04-05-2003, 09:46 AM
I am looking for a new pool table for my teenage boys and would greatly apprieciate any help with the following questions:
1) I am looking at either an Olhausen 1 inch or an Olhausesn 7/8 inch table. The price range is between $2500 and $3000. Is the diffference in slate thickness significant in terms of playing the game? Is it significant in terms of eventual resale value.
2) Is a 4 x 8 table the most common size for a family pool table?
3) Is it worth it to buy a solid wood table as opposed to a particle board table., in terms of playing and eventually selling the table a few years down the road..
4) The table will come with an accessory package that includes balls, cues, and a rack, etc. What are some brand names for good quality pool balls, cues, etc, so that I can determine wether the accessory package is adequate.

Thank you very much for any help you can give me!

travin
04-05-2003, 10:10 AM
Hi, I'll answer the questions that I can, hopefully someone else will fill in.

1. There is a significant difference in slate thickness. If you knock into a table with 3/4 inch, the balls will move. A 1 inch table is much more stable.
2. Most people recommend getting the largest table that can comfortably fit in the room. You can go to www.brunswickbilliards.com (http://www.brunswickbilliards.com), click on products then tables and you will find an estimate for table sizes based upon cue size used and room size.
3. Solid wood tables are recommended. I am not qualified to discuss all of the pros and cons, except for the frame around the slate. If this frame is made of particle board, multiple replacements of the cloth will cause the frame to splinter and eventually disintegrate.
4. I am not familiar enough with all the different accessories to give advise.

Hope this helps,
Todd

Scott Lee
04-05-2003, 12:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjrich:</font><hr> I am looking for a new pool table for my teenage boys and would greatly apprieciate any help with the following questions:
1) I am looking at either an Olhausen 1 inch or an Olhausesn 7/8 inch table. The price range is between $2500 and $3000. Is the diffference in slate thickness significant in terms of playing the game? Is it significant in terms of eventual resale value.
2) Is a 4 x 8 table the most common size for a family pool table?
3) Is it worth it to buy a solid wood table as opposed to a particle board table., in terms of playing and eventually selling the table a few years down the road..
4) The table will come with an accessory package that includes balls, cues, and a rack, etc. What are some brand names for good quality pool balls, cues, etc, so that I can determine wether the accessory package is adequate.

Thank you very much for any help you can give me! <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> </font color> You got some good advice from Todd.
Yes, 8' tables are the most common home size table, although many people buy 7' tables too. Usually only serious players buy 9' tables, as they take up a large room (15x20). The thicker slate is better for playability, but doesn't have that big affect in terms of resale value, imo. Pool tables, by in large, do NOT hold their value. A reasonable quality home-style table like you are describing, even though it may cost you $3000, will NOT bring $3000 when the time comes where you want to sell it.
Like automobiles, you lose a certain percentage of value the minute the table leaves the store. Don't buy based on what you think it will bring when you want to get rid of it. Buy because you want to provide a quality playing environment for yourself and/or your kids. Todd was correct about solid wood vs. particle board...particle board will disintegrate eventually. As far as pool balls go, there are two good brands to look at: Brunswick Centennial and Aramith (the best Aramith balls are the Super Aramith Pro). Either set will run you somewhere between $125 and $175, depending on where you buy them. Both are top quality, and will last forever. The accessory kits sold by table dealers tend to run on the less expensive end, sometimes with sub-par cues and lower quality balls. I would recommend negotiating something off of the table and shuck their accessory kit. Go out and buy better quality cuesticks (Dufferin or Valley Supreme one-piece cues are excellent, and cost less than $20 each).
Hope this helps.

Scott Lee

04-06-2003, 12:52 PM
At the Allen Hopkins Expo in Valley Forge, we gave away a
$400 Meucci cue in our booth, then I gave a pool table to the Christian ministers, so they could promote their ministry in my booth, and they actually gave away my brand new table, having the fans come up &amp; play such stars as Tom Kennedy, Steve Lillis, Tom Dr Cue Rossman, and Jim Rempe &amp; Nick the Stick. Wonder Dog made every shot he attempted also, and twice, made the world class 2 ball bottle shot with his nose, once on the 3rd snap, once on the 5th snap. No other dog on earth, can make this shot.
Giving a brand new pool table away, was something that had never been done before in any show, any where. So for those who have attacked me saying I am selfish, may I ask you this, what did you give away at the Hopkins, even all of my lessons were totally free there. I was very generous, and there was not one peep of this on the board.
For the 2nd time, Wonder Dog stole the show, we had so many people around the booth, we blocked &amp; sealed off the entire aisle, and then had to tear down the drapes so people could see the shows from behind, and we sealed the aisle behind us as well. For those on the board who say I can't play, you obviously did not come by my booth, because I made every shot I attempted. In my business, it is not about making the shots, it is about drawing a crowd, and we drew the biggest crowds of any other booth there. Now do you see how silly this thing is when people are trying to tell you I can't play, this is ridiculous, I put my game &amp; abilities on display at the major pool shows for thousands to see, and my game is on prime time TV, 3 weeks ago, we were on two prime time TV shows in one single week. OK,who cares, people pay me to draw crowds, now somebody post that I can't do that either.
The table was on display, everyone saw it, and many got to play on it, so it will be easy to find someone who will tell you it played great. It had a 760 simonis cloth. The table was 8', premium leather pockets, a 3 piece l" slate, and is solid wood. My Expo show special on it was only $1500, for a 9' only add $100, tables similiar to it sell for 3 to 4K. This show expo price must be pulled very soon, so for those of you who were wanting a new table, this can be acquired even in a 7' model. People were saying, this was half off, what they thought the price would be. This deal, will not come around again, soon, going, going, gone.

For me, If I can buy a brand new table at the same price I can find a used one, I will go new every time.
Yes, sometimes you can find a used table that is a deal, but never buy a used table, unless you can play on it first &amp; check it out.
If you don't know tables, you could be buying a old worn out table out of a pool hall that could be like buying a old NYC taxi cab with a million miles on it.
Buying used tables is like buying used cars, you better know what you are doing, or you will end up with somebodys worn out junk they are just unloading on you.
To learn more about this fantastic table deal, see our web site for how to contact us, www.fastlarrypool.com (http://www.fastlarrypool.com)
Best Wishes, Fast Larry Guninger VENI, VIDI, VICI......

bluewolf
04-06-2003, 01:26 PM
Scott,

Where in the world did you find that cute little pool table?

Laura

Scott Lee
04-06-2003, 06:57 PM
Laura...that is courtesy of Hawaiian Fantasy! She certainly knows her stuff, and is very reasonable, if anyone else wants something like this.

Scott