View Full Version : davespooltools.com

Mr Ingrate
04-05-2003, 11:19 AM
This is what I do in my spare time.

http://www.davespooltools.com

Comments and suggestions please!

Popcorn
04-05-2003, 11:35 AM
Nice web site clean and easy. I like voice that greets you.

Scott Lee
04-05-2003, 12:01 PM
Way to go Dave! This is a great resource for anyone who wants to run any kind of tournament! Thanks for doing this for everyone!

Scott

Mr Ingrate
04-05-2003, 03:03 PM
Thank you,

That voice is the computer "HAL" from 2001, a Space Odyssey.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Nice web site clean and easy. I like voice that greets you. <hr /></blockquote>

Mr Ingrate
04-05-2003, 03:05 PM
Hey Scott,

Thanks for your kind comments. If you think of any forms, etc. you would like to see, please let me know.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> Way to go Dave! This is a great resource for anyone who wants to run any kind of tournament! Thanks for doing this for everyone!

Scott <hr /></blockquote>

snipershot
04-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Looks great Dave, simple and convinient for everyone to use, I'll probably get some use out of it as I hope to run a tournament here in my hometown sometime in the future.

Thanks,
Snipershot

04-05-2003, 06:23 PM
As a website developer/graphic designer, I must say your site is great! very easy to navigate and Nice layout.

Myself along with an Associate owns http://www.the-webmall.com. We are adding a billiard section and if you would like, We will be happy to add a link to your site /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Just let me know.

Wish you many success with your site

Rod
04-05-2003, 07:03 PM
Dave,
Nice looking site and easy to navigate. I will be needing a league schedule in the near future. I'm sure many will appreciate the work you have done. Between the site and the programs, your spare time must keep you busy.

Rod

Popcorn
04-05-2003, 08:03 PM
Yea, I recognized it. Do you know why they called the computer HAL in the movie?

smfsrca
04-06-2003, 12:47 AM
Having initially been upset by the use of their corporate logo in a film that featured a computer that killed several people, IBM was further angered when they discovered that the letters H, A, and L are only one letter removed from I, B, and M in the alphabet. Arthur C. Clarke, who said the letters stood for “Heuristically programmed Algorithmic computer” spent many years attempting to dismiss the rumor that this had been done intentionally, claiming as early as 1972, “we were quite embarrassed by this, and would have changed the name had we spotted the coincidence.”

Fran Crimi
04-06-2003, 07:22 AM
Ha! Great idea to use the HAL sound bit. That was one of my favorite scenes when Dave starts to remove HAL's memory and we see HAL regress to the point of singing "Daisy, Daisy..."

Very nice website. Best of luck with it.

Fran

pooldaddy9
04-06-2003, 08:03 AM
Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed your web site. It was very helpful, thanks Joel

Mr Ingrate
04-06-2003, 11:25 AM
Thanks sniperhsot. Hope it helps.

Mr Ingrate
04-06-2003, 11:27 AM
Thanks, I would appreciate a link. I'm going to add a links page and would be happy to reciprocate.

Mr Ingrate
04-06-2003, 11:29 AM
Thanks Rod,

It keeps me from getting stale and helps me enjoy my retirement. Now, I'm busy learning Java2.

Mr Ingrate
04-06-2003, 11:31 AM
Popcorn,

It is my understanding that HAL was derived from the letters immediately preceeding I, B, and M.

Mr Ingrate
04-06-2003, 11:35 AM
Hi Fran,

I've had various sound clips from the movie for a number of years. I wrote some accounting software for a Movie Payroll company and put in various voices when errors were made. One of them being HAL saying "It can only be human error." My favorite sound bite was when a user logged off and Arnold came on saying "I'll be back!"

Mr Ingrate
04-06-2003, 11:36 AM
Thanks Joe,

I hope you find it useful.

04-06-2003, 12:16 PM
I have an extensive collection of fine art, drawings, post cards, paintings of beautiful women, in lovely dresses, playing pool from the l920's, I would be happy to share it with you, perhaps you could get some idea's from these.

You were looking for a teacher, I live a long way away in
Atlanta, but I have been asked to come out to LA, &amp; film a 2nd prime time TV appearance in Burbank, at CBS. After the thing is in the can, I am headed your way. Once a year, I take a vacation &amp; go to the north shore to hang 10, then to Maui, then to Kauai.
When I come to Ha vie e, I normally skip the big Island, because of time. I love the Island, but you can't do them all. If you want, I can hop a shuttle over from Maui, and perhaps I can show your son some things, and even fit him in a cue that is right for his size &amp; weight. If you are interested see my web site, www.fastlarrypool.com (http://www.fastlarrypool.com), and email me. Fast Larry Guninger

04-06-2003, 12:27 PM
Fast Larry I would love to see those pictures /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I just love graphics and fine art.

North Shore wow! you don't mess around when you hang 10 /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif The winter swells are huge here in Hawaii 30 footers /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif When I see a wave that huge, I run LOL.

I have seen your site but I don't see how much you charge. If you were to hop over, how much will charge and such?

As for not being able to visit all the islands, I know the feeling. I haven't been to Kaua'i or Moloka'i yet /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif and I live here LOL. I sure hope one day you get to enjoy the beauty of Big Island. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif