PDA

View Full Version : Vacuums...Revisited

9 Ball Girl
04-05-2003, 02:26 PM
So about a 2 months ago I bought a Hoover bagless vacuum. I'm not happy with it. First, it doesn't suck up any dirt from a tile floor like my old Hoover baggy used to. Second, when I vacuum my bedroom which is carpeted, I constantly have to pick up little things that it didn't suck up. So I turned the thing over while it's on and the roller brush isn't spinning. Nothing is stuck in it. But the worst part of it all is that it blows out dirt throught the sides of the receptacle cup and makes everything in my room dusty!

In any case, I'm going to make the plunge and buy the new $200 Roomba (robotic vacuum).

Sid_Vicious
04-05-2003, 02:29 PM
They have a mini size for the table? ;-) sid

Karatemom
04-05-2003, 02:31 PM
You probably broke the belt. They're easy to replace. Whenever Chris would vacuum, that would be twice, we would have to replace the belt before he finished. Why, you ask? Because he would go over the rug without holding it down or moving it first, and the vacuum would suck it right up, put tension on the belt, and SNAP!

Needless to say, he won't be vacuuming again for a long, long time, and I won't have to change any vacuum belts, hahaha.

Heide ~ more mechanically inclined than Chris likes to believe

Sid_Vicious
04-05-2003, 02:36 PM
I used to walk away and leave my Kirby a'hummin on the carpet and my belt consumption was the pits. Upon smelling burned rubber a couple of times I learned that leaving it sit there was a problem...sid

TomBrooklyn
04-05-2003, 03:45 PM
I read some on line reviews of vacuumes before I bought my Hoover upright a couple months ago, and a number of people did say the belts broke pretty often. But they only cost about $2.00 and are easy to change. I haven't broken one yet, but I have a couple of spares ready for when I do.

Karatemom
04-05-2003, 04:32 PM
As long as Chris doesn't use the vacuum, our belt will last us a long, long time. But just in case, we have spares as well.

Heide ~ boy is she gonna get it when CC reads this, LOL

Karatemom
04-05-2003, 04:33 PM
Yeah, the hand held vacs /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. Of course, I would bet a shop-vac would do wonders on a filthy table.

Heide

L.S. Dennis
04-05-2003, 05:10 PM
I bought a Sear canister vac a while go the works pretty good. It also came with a separate small attachment with a little beater brush that works great on my pool table.

Between this and shooting the balls with a little silcone spray once in a while it makes this old Granito cloth seem like Simonis 760!

Rod
04-05-2003, 07:45 PM
Yes I know why. My clean up man use to do similar. By the time I run across the room the belt was smoked. I always kept a good supply of spare belts. What amazed me is you could hear the vacuum slow up or bog down. That's like letting out the clutch with the brakes on. LOL

~~ rod never figured one needed a degree for this stuff

9 Ball Girl
04-06-2003, 11:21 AM
Hmmm. I didn't think of the belt because I've only used this vacuum 3 times. I do get that nauseating burning smell after I used it the 2nd time. Grrrr....

Wendy<---not domesticated enough to know how to change a belt /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Fred Agnir
04-07-2003, 09:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Hmmm. I didn't think of the belt because I've only used this vacuum 3 times. I do get that nauseating burning smell after I used it the 2nd time. Grrrr....<hr /></blockquote>Definitely the belt or belt-drive system.

Fred &lt;~~~ expert at burning belts and their nauseating smell