PDA

View Full Version : Straight Pool Q, jacked-up shot

Wally_in_Cincy
04-05-2003, 02:52 PM
Straight Pool Question

I'm talking about a jacked up shot where the CB is frozen against the back of the stack. You're shooting a ball in the lower corner pocket. But you not only have to use the bridge but you're bridging over about 3 balls. Yikes.

Use 2 bridges, one on top of the other?

Use the "spiderman" style of climbing halfway onto the table?

Or is it possible to use a "dart stroke" sometimes used on a jump shot? Anybody ever tried that?

This shot comes up quite often. Howz about it all you 14.1 veterans.

BTW has anybody tried that "Adjust-a-bridge" gadget yet?

TIA

eg8r
04-05-2003, 03:12 PM
Wally,

I saw Cory Deuel use a bridge to accomplish a similar type shot. He put the bridge on the table, then rested his finger tips on the bridge and jacked up and made the shot.

eg8r

Wally_in_Cincy
04-05-2003, 03:30 PM
Thanks gator.

That's the kind of stuff I was looking for. Something outside the box, to use an overused phrase /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

eg8r
04-05-2003, 04:49 PM
I have an accu stats tape of Cory using the bridge this way. It was just like he was bridging off the table except his hand was bridging off the wood part of the bridge.

eg8r

Rod
04-05-2003, 06:16 PM
It depends. I've used two bridges but sometimes it's hard to see where the ferrule is and you can't touch another ball. Also have used a table brush, if it's worn some it's better. Sometimes a floating bridge hand does the trick but I've always shot underhanded.

Rod

#### leonard
04-06-2003, 09:40 AM
Wally learn to play opposite hand, I was 5ft 7 at my tallest and never used a bridge on those shots. I won a tournament game by taking a scratch along the back of the rack and my opponent just fouled the cueball figuring that he had me and I bridged the whole rack and he let out a scream I forgot you play left handed.####

Jay M
04-07-2003, 05:14 AM
I use two bridges in this situation. But I do it a bit differently than most people. Rather than putting the heads of the bridges on top of each other, I put the shaft of the second bridge in the slot on the first bridge. This lets me elevate the second bridge to however much I need by just pushing it forward. Scott saw me do this while he was down here. It's actually very stable since most house bridges are very rigid.

Jay M

bluewolf
04-07-2003, 05:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote #### leonard:</font><hr> Wally learn to play opposite hand, I was 5ft 7 at my tallest and never used a bridge on those shots. I won a tournament game by taking a scratch along the back of the rack and my opponent just fouled the cueball figuring that he had me and I bridged the whole rack and he let out a scream I forgot you play left handed.#### <hr /></blockquote>

Easier said than done but not impossible. Whitewolf is totally right dominant, yet has learned to play reasonably well left handed. I am pretty ambidextrous and play leftie pretty often. Even though I am pitiful at shape, I have been known to play an entire match without using the mechanical bridge.

Laura

bluewolf
04-07-2003, 05:47 AM
Wally,

I might not be getting the shot you are talking about. How do you usually jack up your bridge? Behind the ball or beside the ball and slightly rotated?

Laura

Fred Agnir
04-07-2003, 07:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> Wally,

I saw Cory Deuel use a bridge to accomplish a similar type shot. He put the bridge on the table, then rested his finger tips on the bridge and jacked up and made the shot.

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>I've seen this by other pros also. I'd call it a foul.

Fred

eg8r
04-07-2003, 07:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've seen this by other pros also. I'd call it a foul. <hr /></blockquote> Excellent. Any reason why? Maybe a rule that states the explicit use of the bridge?

I don't read the rule books, so this is why I ask you.

eg8r

Wally_in_Cincy
04-07-2003, 08:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> Wally,

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

Do you mean placing the bridge perpendicular to its normal position by placing the buttcap and bridge head on the long rails?

eg8r
04-07-2003, 08:48 AM
I am not the best at visualizations but here goes. Cory placed the bridge on the table perpendicular to the direction he was going to hold his cue. (note in this position he could not use the bridge the proper way because the bridge head was facing down table). The bridge laid as flat on the table with no part on the rails. After the bridge was laid down, he used his normal bridge (in the jacked up position) resting his finger tips on the wood partion of the bridge.This helped him raise up a couple of inches.

eg8r

Fred Agnir
04-07-2003, 08:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> [ QUOTE ]

I've seen this by other pros also. I'd call it a foul. <hr /></blockquote> Excellent. Any reason why? Maybe a rule that states the explicit use of the bridge?

I don't read the rule books, so this is why I ask you.

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>Inappropriate use of equipment.

Rule 1.3 USE OF EQUIPMENT
Players may not use equipment or accessory items for purposes or in a manner other than those for which the items were intended (refer to rules 3.42 and 3.43). For example, powder containers, chalk cubes, etc., may not be used to prop up a mechanical bridge (or natural hand bridge);

So, I interpret that to say, you can't use the mechanical bridge to prop up your natural hand bridge.

Fred

Wally_in_Cincy
04-07-2003, 09:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>
Inappropriate use of equipment.

Players may not use equipment or accessory items for purposes or in a manner other than those for which the items were intended (refer to rules 3.42 and 3.43). For example, powder containers, chalk cubes, etc., may not be used to prop up a mechanical bridge (or natural hand bridge);

So, I interpret that to say, you can't use the mechanical bridge to prop up your natural hand bridge.

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

The way eg8r desribes Corey's use of the bridge is something that I have been shown by more than one experienced player.

If it's a foul why would the referee or opponent have not called it in Corey's match?

Wally~~curious /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
04-07-2003, 09:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jay M:</font><hr> I use two bridges in this situation. But I do it a bit differently than most people. Rather than putting the heads of the bridges on top of each other, I put the shaft of the second bridge in the slot on the first bridge. This lets me elevate the second bridge to however much I need by just pushing it forward. Scott saw me do this while he was down here. It's actually very stable since most house bridges are very rigid.

Jay M <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks Jay. I'll try that. And the other good suggestions as well.

eg8r
04-07-2003, 09:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Players may not use equipment or accessory items for purposes or in a manner other than those for which
the items were intended (refer to rules 3.42 and 3.43). For example, powder containers, chalk cubes,
etc., may not be used to prop up a mechanical bridge (or natural hand bridge);

So, I interpret that to say, you can't use the mechanical bridge to prop up your natural hand bridge. <hr /></blockquote>
I understand your interpretation, and I don't dispute it. The only question I have is that it says "etc" before it mentions use of a mechanical bridge. While "etc" could be all encompassing and include everything the face of the earth, I think they some more examples would have been better. Another reason why I question this rule as reasoning for judgement is in the examples themselves. The rule is mentioning examples that would not normally be left in the field of play during a shot. The mechanical bridge however is used/left in the field of play during a shot. For me personally the rule is not an exact fit for the situation. Had the rules said you cannot use "powder containers, chalk, mechanical bridge, etc" then I think it would be a closer fit. Like I said, the other examples are not normally found on the playing surface during a shot, which differentiates themselves from the mechanical bridge.

eg8r

Fran Crimi
04-07-2003, 10:09 AM
Wally, I would interpret it as a foul as well. Im not sure that anyone has officially challenged this particular use of the mechanical bridge yet. It's so unusual that if a referee saw it, he or she may not know what to do about it on the spot. And if the opponent doesn't step up to challenge it, the ref may be inclined to let it go due to not knowing for sure.

I think once it gets brought out into the open and discussed, it'll probably be announced along the way that it's illegal.

Fran

eg8r
04-07-2003, 10:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If it's a foul why would the referee or opponent have not called it in Corey's match? <hr /></blockquote>
In the match, Cory's opponent (I think it was Jeremy Jones) did not even question this use of the bridge. I think if it was illegal then a ref would have been called over to watch the shot. This never happened which is why I think the rule that Fred listed might not fit this situation perfectly, ie chalk and power containers are not normally left on the playing surface while the mech bridge is left there.

eg8r

eg8r
04-07-2003, 10:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wally, I would interpret it as a foul as well. <hr /></blockquote>
Fran do you base this also on the rule Fred stated? I am by no means saying it should be a foul or not, but maybe just being the devils advocate.

To me that rule is stating it is illegal to use a piece of chalk or powder container. If that is applied to this situation, then sure it is illegal because you do not put a powder container on the table and bridge off it. However, a mech. bridge is left on the table during the shot.

Is there a rule describing the only correct use of a bridge, and does the rule state examples of mis-use of the mech bridge?

eg8r

Fran Crimi
04-07-2003, 10:28 AM
I think it's an illegal use of equipment for a reason other than which it was intended. I think it falls into the same category as leaving your cue on the table as an aiming device or placing the chalk on the rail as an aiming tool. The mechanical bridge is to be used by your cue stick and not your hand.

Fran

qSHAFT
04-07-2003, 06:22 PM
It is possible to elevate a normal extension to any height you require and going over the top of any balls without touching them, I am surprised no one has mentioned the method before, maybe it is more popular with the snooker crowd.

Simply make a loop of your thumb and index finger around the base of the extension in your bridge hand. The trick is to use your finger as an elevation pivot point underneath the extension and use the palm of your hand to firmly ground the base of the extension so the cross is standing to attention in mid air. By changing the pivot point of your finger you can obtain different heights.

It is surprisingly stable with the right equipment. The quality of the dow essentially dictates how much wobble you get but I have used it successfully even with a good bit of wobble, just gota wait for it to die down before shooting.

Cheers - qSHAFT