PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful Pictures Cause Problems For CCB Readers

TomBrooklyn
04-06-2003, 09:43 AM
The recent trend on CCB to attaching billboard sized pictures to one's postings, has caused concern amongst many board members that it contributes to physical ailments, mental fuzziness, and spiritual depression in the general population of readers.

These large pictures, some with dymamic graphics are attached as a sort of signature to a writers posts. They are often visually enticing.

More information will be posted as it becomes available.

bluewolf
04-06-2003, 01:35 PM
Have not heard that. Are you projecting? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Laura

SPetty
04-06-2003, 02:45 PM
Another way to put it: While pretty or interesting to see once or twice, the pics take up more bandwidth, take longer for dialup CCBers, animated graphics are proven irritants to have on the screen while trying to read words, and if you like to peruse the CCB at work, it's much more difficult to clear or hide the screen when coworkers sneak up behind you. That is, they'll always see a big non-work-related picture while they might not recognize the non-work-related plain text.

I believe Tom may be asking for a tiny little bit of restraint in the overuse of the large animated graphics.

HTH

04-06-2003, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the pics take up more bandwidth <hr /></blockquote>

bandwidth is used from the server the pictures are being hosted at. It's takes no bandwidth out of anywhere else.

I will try to resize mine, I have a lot of tweaking to do because when I resize...it deforms the graphics /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

sorry if it caused u problems /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

04-06-2003, 03:07 PM
if our sigs are hindering your viewing experience, there's an option for you to view our sigs or not. It's in MY HOME
Do you want to view other user's signatures with their posts
Yes No /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif great feature!

bluewolf
04-06-2003, 05:51 PM
It is not to hard to resize in html. What editor did you use? I use front page which allows me to also use a version of HTML. That enables me to resize the pics based on the upload time without distortion. It does require of me, since I am not a professional web page designer to do a little trial and error, but it works.

Laura

9 Ball Girl
04-06-2003, 06:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> and if you like to peruse the CCB at work, it's much more difficult to clear or hide the screen when coworkers sneak up behind you. That is, they'll always see a big non-work-related picture while they might not recognize the non-work-related plain text.HTH <hr /></blockquote>

Solution: We have cubicles at work which makes it very difficult to know when someone is going to sneak up on you. I actually have a rear view mirror propped on top of my CPU just for that! Teehee

Wendy~~~objects may seem closer than they appear.

04-06-2003, 07:22 PM
hehehe i guess what I am trying to say is if I resize it, the face doesn't look the same. Sorry I didn't clarify /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif and I really don't want to redo her all over again..them pixels are argh enough to drive you crazy. For html editor I use any word program...I manually do everything, the hard way, that's how i taught myself and i can't seem to get off of it even though there's WYSIWYG programs, drag and drop etc.

9ball good idea on the rearview mirror LMAO! girl you got all kinds of tricks up your sleeve! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bluewolf
04-06-2003, 07:31 PM
I guess I just dont see why it would change her face. I have a site with pics of my dogs. When I resized their pics, all their faces looked the same. But is it different with artwork, which she is, rather than photos?

Laura

eg8r
04-06-2003, 07:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For html editor I use any word program...I manually do everything, the hard way, that's how i taught myself and i can't seem to get off of it even though there's WYSIWYG programs, drag and drop etc.<hr /></blockquote> Yuck. I have no ego or problem stating that I develop everything I have done in the past 3 years using Dreamweaver and Fireworks/Photoshop. I find my time is too precious to be laying out table tags all over the place just so I can get a layout that is useful.

eg8r

eg8r
04-06-2003, 07:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For html editor I use any word program...I manually do everything, the hard way, that's how i taught myself and i can't seem to get off of it even though there's WYSIWYG programs, drag and drop etc. <hr /></blockquote> Unless you are using some sort of photo/graphics editor you are not resizing your pics. All you are doing is making the pic "look" smaller. This is a huge issue to Jack Justis' site. His "thumbnails" look small. Ever wonder why it takes for ever to load the page, it is because he has just squished the viewable picture down using a table. This is not the correct way to resize a pic. You need to use a graphics package, I use Fireworks and Photoshop, and reduce the image size. You might find it useful to reduce the canvas size also.

eg8r

eg8r
04-06-2003, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if our sigs are hindering your viewing experience, there's an option for you to view our sigs or not. It's in MY HOME
Yes No great feature! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote> There is another great feature that is not built in, that is called courtesy. Why should someone have to change their settings just so they don't have to see a giant catoon picture of you? Another issue is that there are some people who use a low resolution setting on their monitors, I like 1280x1024 personally. With you pic, it takes up the whole screen. Just resize it, and if you don't know how, email it to me and I can make it much smaller.

Earlier you stated that your pic only takes up the bandwidth of the server hosting it. Right and wrong. It also uses up a dial-up connections bandwidth trying to load the stupid thing. If you would be so nice, make the thing smaller. If you wanna show pics of yourself, then put a link in your sig and we can go look at them if we choose.

eg8r

04-06-2003, 08:18 PM
You are right! yuck! but you know what is funny? LMAO the simple things with the WYSIWYG programs I have a hard time with. OMG sometimes I am screaming my head off cause I am html'ing and messenger goes off...bling bling bling, I don't want to ignore the person so I answer, get involved in the convo and make error and sit there trying to figure out why the heck my friggen thing ain't working LMAO sometimes it's just an extra space, period or character...I really need to start using dreamweaver. I used to use arachnophilia..at least it was color coded and you could see where you forget something. LOL

04-06-2003, 08:21 PM
I am using Paintshop pro and her face is all handmade pixel by pixel, when I shrink her, her friggen eyeballs looks like she is crossed eyed LOL when I redid her eyes and still tried to add small detail so it doesn't look like a blot looks like her eyes are too big for her face.

When I am not so tired I will fix it.

eg8r
04-06-2003, 08:24 PM
Macromedia is king. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r

04-06-2003, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There is another great feature that is not built in, that is called courtesy. Why should someone have to change their settings just so they don't have to see a giant catoon picture of you? <hr /></blockquote>

It seems like every post I make, you have something sarcastic to say. I was simply pointing out the feature, and why should someone change their setting? cause they are the one who is having the problems not me.

I am really a fun and nice person but it seems to me like once you have a run in with someone there's no stopping, nit picking at every post. Please stop /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Edit to add the quote LOL some reason it didn't take

eg8r
04-06-2003, 08:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It seems like every post I make, you have something sarcastic to say. <hr /></blockquote> It seemed that way to me when I was posting it also. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Actually I read a sense of sarcasm in your posts so I have posted a reply. In this thread I am making reference to the fact that I should not have to miss out on someone elses signature just because I do not want to see your huge pic. Your solution does not solve the problem. A smaller sig will result in faster load time for people with dial up. There are some people here with creative sig's and I would miss them if I took your advice.

eg8r

04-06-2003, 08:36 PM
sarcasim? /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif if you had the chance to talk to me in voice or person, then my words would seem different. I am a nut case really.... I am usually always cheerful, laughing but yet I speak my mind but one won't know the tone until he/she has spoken with me /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

yes with dial up it will speed up the loading time. I will work on it like I said when I get the chance. We just got back from bowling and my body aches cause I was trying to find my two teenage daughters in the bowling alley tugging along a bag with two bowling balls /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif 27 lbs to be exact..never thought that bowling alley was so huge LOL

eg8r
04-06-2003, 08:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
sarcasim? if you had the chance to talk to me in voice or person, then my words would seem different. <hr /></blockquote> Point taken. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

04-06-2003, 09:12 PM
if you have aol, yahoo, msn or icq..even trillian ROTFLMAO I could add ya if you want. Think I got all the messengers covered? LMAO! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif and to think I have at least 2 names for each to seperate my friends..man it's a mad house when I turn on trillian and all messengers with the 2nd name...it's like an emotional roller coaster ride hahahahha some happy, some are sad, some need help...etc

At times I sit there like /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif and watching everything blink and just log off LOL

Rod
04-06-2003, 11:15 PM
Pixels are a pain, I just touched up a thousand or more tonight, one by one. Using a wider brush just doesn't work for clarity sometimes. If I had a quarter for every pixel I'd just quit my job and retire, that is if I was working. LOL My eyes told me to quit.

Rod

TomBrooklyn
04-07-2003, 03:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Hawaiian Fantasy:</font><hr> when I shrink her, her eyeballs looks like she is crossed eyed<hr /></blockquote>The actress Lucy Liu looks crossed-eyed sometimes, but she still looks OK.

bluewolf
04-07-2003, 03:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> Unless you are using some sort of photo/graphics editor you are not resizing your pics. All you are doing is making the pic "look" smaller. This is a huge issue to Jack Justis' site. His "thumbnails" look small. Ever wonder why it takes for ever to load the page, it is because he has just squished the viewable picture down using a table. This is not the correct way to resize a pic. You need to use a graphics package, I use Fireworks and Photoshop, and reduce the image size. You might find it useful to reduce the canvas size also.

eg8r
<hr /></blockquote>

Good point, I do use paint shop pro quite a bit. But I did resize my pics using the html with front page and it did change the upload time. If you go to my site, the pics do not take a long time to load even with dial up unless you are running low ram, slow cpu and very little vram.

Laura

bluewolf
04-07-2003, 04:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Hawaiian Fantasy:</font><hr>I really need to start using dreamweaver. I used to use arachnophilia..at least it was color coded and you could see where you forget something. LOL <hr /></blockquote>

Gosh, I would die to get a copy of dreamweaver. When I checked on it a couple of years ago, it just seemed sooo expensive, and couldnt justify it because i already had frontpage. Is it cheaper now?

There was also the issue of domain cost. I had a domain at one time but since it was a personal page rather than a business one, it seemed kind of pricey. So, I have used angelfire,but have had a hard time with it. Supposedly you can upload front page to it, but sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt, and it doesnt take my updates.

The page that is listed in my profile was just a beginning of a page created in front page and uploaded to angelfire.

With the domain one that I was paying for, the updates went up like a snap. Guess you pay for what you get.

Laura

eg8r
04-07-2003, 07:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
osh, I would die to get a copy of dreamweaver. When I checked on it a couple of years ago, it just
seemed sooo expensive, and couldnt justify it because i already had frontpage. Is it cheaper now? <hr /></blockquote> No, it is not any cheaper. The only cheap cost is for students they only pay like 299.00 for the entire Macromedia Suite.

[ QUOTE ]
There was also the issue of domain cost. I had a domain at one time but since it was a personal page
rather than a business one, it seemed kind of pricey. <hr /></blockquote> You can find web hosts for as little as $8.00/month. As far as a domain, I think they are like only $15 to purchase a domain name.

[ QUOTE ]
So, I have used angelfire,but have had a hard time
with it. Supposedly you can upload front page to it, but sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt, and
it doesnt take my updates. <hr /></blockquote> While I am sure you know what you are doing, your post here is a little confused. Frontpage is your editor, and the web page is what you ftp to your site. I do not think you are trying to upload the frontpage s/w. As far as having trouble uploading your pages to Anglefire, I am not sure what is the problem. You might have size constraints on Anglefire. Other than that, it is probably in your ftp utility. I use CuteFTP instead of the built in FTP client that comes with Dreamweaver. It is a personal preference. The FTP client built in Dreamweaver works just find most of the time, just not all the time.

eg8r

eg8r
04-07-2003, 07:36 AM
AOL = eg8r (pretty creative I know. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

eg8r

heater451
04-07-2003, 07:37 AM
eg8r is correct, about HTML reducing the display size of a graphic--it doesn't actually remove the extra pixel-weight, nor does it add any compression.

If you are resizing in an editor, try to use you're 'highest level' file--that is, go back to the PSD (Photoshop) if possible. Otherwise, make sure that you are in RGB Color (P-shop Menu: Image&gt;&gt;Mode&gt;&gt;RGB Color). A JPEG is 24-bit color (full), so you shouldn't really have an issue, unless it's the graphic content itself. GIFs resize badly, and will definitely require changing the color mode, and then re-exporting another GIF. (Note: resizing a GIF occasionally affects the filesize adversely, due to sizing-induced "anti-aliasing", but since you would be down-sizing, the overall reduction in number of pixels should outweigh the increase.

===================

heater451
04-07-2003, 07:43 AM
eg8r,

Frontpage has an upload feature, like D-weaver does. It's supposed to streamline publishing, but you know how MS apps can be. . . .

bluewolf,

Doesn't Angelfire have a specific upload page, where you can upload individual files or Zipfiles? (Hopefully, you won't have to load a ton of files, although they may let you move a whole directory.)

===========================

Wally_in_Cincy
04-07-2003, 08:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Hawaiian Fantasy:</font><hr> if our sigs are hindering your viewing experience, there's an option for you to view our sigs or not. It's in MY HOME
Yes No <hr /></blockquote>

I leave pictures and sigs off almost all the time.

eg8r
04-07-2003, 08:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Frontpage has an upload feature, like D-weaver does. It's supposed to streamline publishing, but you
know how MS apps can be. . . . <hr /></blockquote> I am not a big fan of MS. MS, this is just a quote from somewhere else, is the only company that can sell the consumer a product that does not work, however the consumer cannot wait to get it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The dreamweaver FTP utility is nice to have and it does make it easier to develop a page and upload it right then and there, however it sometimes loses connection on me and it dies. This is only with large files. I can switch and use CuteFTP and never have a problem.

I do not use FrontPage, and the only time I have ever been exposed was in an E-Commerce course. I never even finished my final (group) project using FrontPage, I hated it. We did everything using UltraDev (Dreamweaver with DB utilities).

eg8r

bluewolf
04-07-2003, 09:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote heater451:</font><hr>

bluewolf,

Doesn't Angelfire have a specific upload page, where you can upload individual files or Zipfiles? (Hopefully, you won't have to load a ton of files, although they may let you move a whole directory.)

=========================== <hr /></blockquote>

As for your original question yes. applied for a web, uploaded the wolf pic and that is how I got my bluewolf to appear on ccb.

To upload or ftp to angelfire you have to 'enable front page' at their site. Then you go to your page you have created in fp, type in the appropriate angelfire addie followed by the name of your page or site. The directions from angelfire appeared to be for previous windows like 98 so I just went into front page where it said publish to ftp it. Thing is I had to use trial and error to get that to work and most of the time did not work for updates. To do an update, I had to go back to angelfire, re subscribe for another web under another screeen name and do it agin. Since I am not an expert, I had no idea why this wasnt working. I tried every trial and error I could think of. Like I said, when I had my own domain, no problem, just type in the password and publish.

Laura

04-07-2003, 01:56 PM
oh hey! http://www.the-webmall.com has a link for hosting.
500 MB storage, 20 gigs a month of badwidth, front page, all kinds of gooodies for $7.95 a month. 800 MB storage, 60 gigs of bandwidth with more goodies for $22.95

but this is what I love most! <font color="red"> You will never be automatically charged if you go over your bandwidth limit. You always have to pre-order bandwidth if you need more. </font color> they don't just add the BW and charge you for it /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

04-07-2003, 02:27 PM
ohhhhhhhh if you ever find someone to pay you by the pixels, let me know where to sign up LMAO I could make a living on 10cents a pixel /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rod
04-07-2003, 03:17 PM
SPetty,
I've never been on here while at work. I thought work was what it implies. LOL All along I thought everyone posted at lunch or after work. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif So you guys get paid to visit CCB eh?, well sign me up for one of those jobs! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Learn to toggle those windows faster and you won't get busted as often. ha ha

On a different note, I use to be on dial up and graphics really can put the brakes on.

Rod

Rod
04-07-2003, 03:21 PM
Sadly I know of no one. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif Even at a dime it sounds like a sweet deal.

bluewolf
04-07-2003, 03:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> SPetty,
I've never been on here while at work. I thought work was what it implies. LOL All along I thought everyone posted at lunch or after work. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif So you guys get paid to visit CCB eh?, well sign me up for one of those jobs! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Rod <hr /></blockquote>

Rod,

ww used to be on ccb all the time at work when nothing was going on. I never did have that kind of job. My posts were racked up at first when I did not have a job and now since I am an officially retired dawg mom, pool bum wannabee.

HF,

Thanks for the Link. I will certainly look into that.

Laura

Kato
04-07-2003, 09:44 PM
In a word Rod, "yes".

Kato