PDA

View Full Version : 8 Ball v 9 Ball

bigbro6060
04-06-2003, 08:59 PM
I have started to play more 9 Ball but i am definitely mainly an 8 Ball player. I love the positional challenge of 9 Ball, there's definitely more long range positioning, but tactically i think 8 Ball is heaps more exciting than 9 Ball. 8 Ball games can be a real chess match when played at a high level. 9Ball it really is either take a shot or play safe.

From a beginner's point of view, 8Ball looks much easier, you have heaps more balls to aim at, but at the higher level, there are so many tactical and positionally subtleties in 8Ball

I should add that i play the uk style of 8Ball with reds and yellows. The top UK 8ball players are great cueists indeed. Chris Melling has got to the later stages of the World 9ball champs before.

04-06-2003, 09:23 PM
heheh for me I love 8 ball (at the moment anyway) only because I am just learning to play and I have more options of what ball I can shoot in (being they are spread out all over the table LOL). /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif My son is the same but some reason he won in 9 ball today, the best 2 of 3. Some boy his age asked him to play with him.

Hopster
04-06-2003, 09:25 PM
I like 8 ball myself but not in bars. Its a great game, you got to think a lot like in straight pool and as you said the chess aspect is there. Definetly got to use your head.
I have never seen the english form as you describe, sounds interesting.

dg-in-centralpa
04-07-2003, 02:15 PM
Personally I likje 8ball better because I hate to lose 9ball to a banger who slops it in after missing a shot and having the cb run three rails and get lucky on the 9 ball.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gifBeer - making all women look good at 2am.

Fred Agnir
04-07-2003, 02:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Personally I likje 8ball better because I hate to lose 9ball to a banger who slops it in after missing a shot and having the cb run three rails and get lucky on the 9 ball.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gifBeer - making all women look good at 2am. <hr /></blockquote>Play better players.

Fred

dg-in-centralpa
04-07-2003, 02:28 PM
Fred, This is true except I was in a league at the time. Oh well... that league is long gone.

Predator314
04-07-2003, 02:47 PM
I prefer 9 ball over 8 ball because it's just more fun (to me). I like One Pocket over both 8 ball and 9 ball though.

04-07-2003, 03:47 PM
Most of my friends in college play primarily 8-ball, so that's what I play most often. However, I'll always try to get someone to play a race to 5 in 9-ball after we have exhausted 8-ball (after a great number of hours).

Mike

eg8r
04-07-2003, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Most of my friends in college play primarily 8-ball, so that's what I play most often. However, I'll always
try to get someone to play a race to 5 in 9-ball after we have exhausted 8-ball (after a great number of
hours). <hr /></blockquote> Wow, this is in stark contrast to the 2 universities I have attended and the CC I went to. I am making reference to the players that played everyday and pool was a little more important to them than their studies. I played at the Reitz union at the Univ of Fl, and you did not see near as many 8 ball games as 9 ball games. In saying this, I am only referring to the regulars that frequented the room often or were at higher skill levels than just anyone off the street stopping in to play a game. Same to be said at UCF.

I think I only played a tournament game of 8 ball once in my college career. This was a year that we were trying out for the ACUI team and 8 ball was going to be the game that year.

eg8r

eg8r
04-07-2003, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Personally I likje 8ball better because I hate to lose 9ball to a banger who slops it in after missing a shot
and having the cb run three rails and get lucky on the 9 ball <hr /></blockquote>
Eventhough this is a less than desirable outcome, I do not experience it all that often. I do find more combo attempts on the 9 when playing low skill level players. There is another issue that people blame on the game instead of their own abilities. Too many people will run a table and then leave the 9 hanging, then state, "that is why I hate this game." It is not the games fault that your concentration went down the toilet and you missed the shot. While I partake more than my fair share of luck shots and 9 balls left hanging, I do not blame the game. I sort of like this subtle oddity. It is a game of skill and possibly precision, however if you screw up once you could sit and watch for awhile.

I also think you should be working to the point in your play that the lower skilled player is not put in this position very often. Meaning..The more racks you run the less of a chance the other has to make a luck shot on the 9.

eg8r

Brent
04-07-2003, 04:37 PM
I like pool /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Heck I even like Snooker and Russina Pyramid..just let me play /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif But what concerns 8 or 9. Well lately my game is better than ever and table opportunities come up in 9. I used to play only 8 but now I play 9 even more. They both are great but sometimes 9 pisses me off. When u run the whole table and miss the 9 or 8. In times like these I really think that something is fooked up /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Then I just calm down and win the next game..hopefully hahaha /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bluewolf
04-07-2003, 04:43 PM
Maybe I am saying the same thing but if I cannot get several balls in a row, I often intentionally miss with a legal hit to put my opponent in the position that he/she cannot got 6,7,8, 9 or combo in the 9. That is how I, as a weak player play 9 ball which I have only played 3 times. I guess as I get to be better, I will go more for the run.

The only game I play in league is 8 ball and it certainly does seem to have a lot of strategy, especially at the higher levels.

Laura

dg-in-centralpa
04-07-2003, 05:31 PM
eg8r- you are correct in trying to run more racks or hanging the 9. If I sucked in a match I don't mind saying so. I probably lost 10 games that year in league because of people not able to make a shot and just hitting as hard as they can and hope for the best. Our 9 ball league did not survive, unfortunately. I love the game. That's why I go to VF every year. I definitely lost a couple by hanging the nine. This happened to me at VF this year. I gave up to many games on a combo. At least the guy I lost to made it in the money round.

snipershot
04-07-2003, 05:42 PM
About three quarters of the games I play are eight ball, I like nine ball very much as well but mostly play it at home. When practicing I always play nine to help improve my CB control as this is my main weakness. The thing I like most about eight ball is definitely the "chess match" part of it, outsmarting your way to a win is great because the other player can play a great game and still lose leaving him/her trying to figure out exactly where they went wrong. I prefer eight ball but never have a problem shooting a good game of nine as well.

L.S. Dennis
04-07-2003, 08:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Personally I likje 8ball better because I hate to lose 9ball to a banger who slops it in after missing a shot and having the cb run three rails and get lucky on the 9 ball.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gifBeer - making all women look good at 2am. <hr /></blockquote>Play better players.

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

Or better yet just adopt 'Grady's Rules' of play and eliminate most of the luck from it!

eg8r
04-07-2003, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I often intentionally miss with a legal hit to put my opponent in the position that he/she cannot got 6,7,8, 9 or combo in the 9. That is how I, as a weak player play 9 ball which I have only played 3 times. I guess as I get to be better, I will go more for the run.
<hr /></blockquote> I find your use of the word "often" a little humurous given you have only played the game 3 times.

If I do not have a shot, I play safe. I also try to make sure there is not a simple shot at the 9 when I leave the table. I think it is also more rare than a standard to just hit the balls has hard as possible and knock the 9 in (this was in reference to another post, I was too lazy to go and quote).

eg8r

eg8r
04-07-2003, 08:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They both are great but sometimes 9 pisses me off. When u run the whole table and miss the 9 or 8. In times like these I really think that something is fooked up <hr /></blockquote> I understand the pain as I have been there plenty of times. I have also, probably and equal number of times, been the benefactor of such a situation. You win some you lose some. I have noticed, if I leave the 9 hanging, I was not concentrating on the game. This is not the games fault it happened. Actually it seems to be a built-in reminder that the shot at hand is worth a little more concentration.

eg8r

bluewolf
04-07-2003, 09:10 PM
I can see that you would find my choice of the word 'often' humorous. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif"Laughter is good for the soul". /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Laura

Perk
04-08-2003, 08:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> I often intentionally miss with a legal hit to put my opponent in the position that he/she cannot got 6,7,8, 9 or combo in the 9. That is how I, as a weak player play 9 ball which I have only played 3 times.
Laura <hr /></blockquote>

Well, this sounds kinda like the good old fashion hustle. Someone taught ya well. If ya are playin for some money against someone of lesser value, it is "SO" easy to miss early in the rack, let them run some balls, then you can barely or "luckly" win the game. The Mark will play for hours this way.

Just my twisted thoughts while at work.

04-08-2003, 09:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, this is in stark contrast to the 2 universities I have attended and the CC I went to. I am making reference to the players that played everyday and pool was a little more important to them than their studies. I played at the Reitz union at the Univ of Fl, and you did not see near as many 8 ball games as 9 ball games. In saying this, I am only referring to the regulars that frequented the room often or were at higher skill levels than just anyone off the street stopping in to play a game. Same to be said at UCF. <hr /></blockquote>

eg8r-

I go to a very small liberal arts school, and there are only a handful of serious players. We have a pool table in each residence hall, but no pool club and few regular tournaments.

Actually, right now we are in the middle of an 8 ball tournament that has been going on since the end of February. I could best describe the current status of the tournament as DORMANT.

This is not the type of place where people take pool ahead of their studies.

However, I usually play a few hours a day (whether it is practicing alone or playing 8-ball).

Mike

eg8r
04-08-2003, 10:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> often intentionally miss with a legal hit to put my opponent in the position that he/she
cannot got 6,7,8, 9 or combo in the 9. That is how I, as a weak player play 9 ball which I
have only played 3 times.
Laura [ QUOTE ]
Well, this sounds kinda like the good old fashion hustle. Someone taught ya well. If ya are playin for some
money against someone of lesser value, it is "SO" easy to miss early in the rack, let them run some balls,
then you can barely or "luckly" win the game. The Mark will play for hours this way. <hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote>
I think what BW was saying is that she has only played the game 3 times. This in itself is enough information. If you read anymore, then you will see that in those 3 games at least once she came to the point in which she was unable to finish the run. At that point she played a safety. I don't think it was a way of hustling since she has only played 3 times.

I don't think often should be used, heck it has only happened 3 times. A different approach to use if the need to post anything, would be to state, "Since, I am a beginner and have only played the game 3 times, if I was in that situation I would think about attempting to execute a safety to the point where no shot legal shot on the ob is easy, and absolutely no easy combo would be left available."

Perk, in response to your reply about the "mark", I guess the thief will continue to play for hours also.

eg8r

eg8r
04-08-2003, 10:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I go to a very small liberal arts school, and there are only a handful of serious players. We have a pool
table in each residence hall, but no pool club and few regular tournaments. <hr /></blockquote> As far as pool is concerned that sucks. LOL I am sure you are there for the education and that is all that matters.

eg8r

bluewolf
04-08-2003, 10:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> <hr /></blockquote>
I think what BW was saying is that she has only played the game 3 times. This in itself is enough information. If you read anymore, then you will see that in those 3 games at least once she came to the point in which she was unable to finish the run. At that point she played a safety. I don't think it was a way of hustling since she has only played 3 times.

I don't think often should be used, heck it has only happened 3 times. A different approach to use if the need to post anything, would be to state, "Since, I am a beginner and have only played the game 3 times, if I was in that situation I would think about attempting to execute a safety to the point where no shot legal shot on the ob is easy, and absolutely no easy combo would be left available."
eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

eg8r. Very well put. That is accurate. I am a beginner. I played one game of nine ball at randygs pool school with an sl4. This was my first game. Then at the CAT rournament at Laurel, MD, dr d so graciously agreed to play me nine ball 6 times. Then I played a sl3 in an open tourn, which was 3 games. So yes, I have only played on 3 separate occasions not counting playing on my home table with ww.

I know my limitations. I know that I am pretty good on all short shots and fair on long straightins. I am inconsistent on long cuts. I have gotten as high as 75% of them one day and 25% the next.

Knowing myy limitations, and this would not work against a run out player obviously but has worked against players who dont typically run out to some degree. I have tried in my short career /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif to leave them as much junk as I can, make them take all the hard shots, clear off some balls so I have a better chance of getting to the last couple of balls and the nine or get a combo off of the nine. Of course I try to set it up so that they cannot combo off of the nine at the same time. For some reason I can think three shots and/or safes ahead. My physical game has definately not caught up with my brain, however.

Hope one day it will. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Laura

04-08-2003, 05:24 PM
To be perfectly honset, neither game is worth 2 dead flies. If you want to develop skill as a beginner or further your skill as a more advanced player.... play one-hole or 14.1 on 4.5 inch pockets. Nothing else to say.

snook
04-08-2003, 07:52 PM
whats 14.1 and 4.5?

eg8r
04-08-2003, 08:32 PM
If you are asking in reference to snook's post, then 14.1 is another name for straight pool, and the 4.5 is in reference to the pocket size. 4.5" pockets are pretty tight.

eg8r

bluewolf
04-09-2003, 06:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote enso:</font><hr> To be perfectly honset, neither game is worth 2 dead flies. If you want to develop skill as a beginner or further your skill as a more advanced player.... play one-hole or 14.1 on 4.5 inch pockets. Nothing else to say. <hr /></blockquote>

I thought one-hole was for advanced since you have to be good at shape, banks, and kicks and of course defensive play. That is, of course, why I am not playing it yet, because I can only do very basic shape and very easy short banks and I cannot even consider those banks in my reprtoire of skills until I can do them 80% ot the time.JMHO

Laura

Deeman
04-09-2003, 06:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote enso:</font><hr> To be perfectly honset, neither game is worth 2 dead flies. If you want to develop skill as a beginner or further your skill as a more advanced player.... play one-hole or 14.1 on 4.5 inch pockets. Nothing else to say. <hr /></blockquote>

Laura,

One pocket is probably a game that would frustrate you right now. However, it is the best teacher of defense and you would get better at banking and strategic play much quicker with this game. It would not only frustrate you but your opponent if he/she was a much better player.

However, most of us probably play one pocket before we are ready and that, in itself, has raised the level of some player's games. If anyone really waited until their game was "ready" to play more advanced games, they might not ever get to the skill level needed to play well. I say, try a few games and you will start to understand the finer points of the game or at least how difficult it can be in comparison to nine ball and eight ball.

bluewolf
04-09-2003, 07:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman:</font><hr>

Laura,

One pocket is probably a game that would frustrate you right now.

However, most of us probably play one pocket before we are ready and that, in itself, has raised the level of some player's games. If anyone really waited until their game was "ready" to play more advanced games, they might not ever get to the skill level needed to play well. <hr /></blockquote>

I think that op more fits my 'brain'. I do practice banks and kicks too and am getting better at the easy ones. I think the thing that holds me back from pursuing op is that I am still inconsistent on the long difficult cuts. My goal is to be able to get consistently like 80%, the cuts on 2/3 of the table. I am excluding things like 90 degree ones, which I only get now and then cuz it will take a long time to get good at these. If I can be consistent on getting in cuts that are 3/4 length shots or less, I will feel good. Dont know how long this will take, and to be hones, I dont care, as long as I get there. Right now, I do work more on short cuts, side pocket cuts and easy banks, with much less practice on the long ones.
A person has gotta walk before they can run. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Laura

Popcorn
04-09-2003, 07:36 AM
Although I play a very aggressive game of one pocket, one of the beauties on one pocket is, you can build a game around you skill level. Not every one pocket player plays the same style game. That is why many older players like the game, they can still compete even with diminishing skills. I think the real reason beginning players don't play one pocket is they want to make balls and improve their playing skills. You, if you win, will only pocket 8 balls in a one pocket game that may take 30 minutes or more. Not much fun for the beginning player trying learn general pool skills. One pocket is not really a game for a player with no developed pool skills yet, but still may be fun to play sometimes for a change of pace. I don't see that it would improve a beginners game much though. Beginners are interested in learning to pocket balls and play position, which lets face it, if you can't pocket balls and play some position you can't play any game. I am not sure the thinking in one pocket would be much help in other games either. Some would say it will help you safe game. I am not so sure, in one pocket you are only defending against one pocket and you may play what is a good safe, yet have a completely open table. This safe may not apply to any game but one pocket. In one pocket even a missed ball may improve your chances of winning the game. It is very different then most other games. Just my opinion

Kato
04-09-2003, 07:47 AM
Laura, most people are inconsistent at long, difficult cuts. It shouldn't stop you from playing any game. I'll play any game regardless of my inconsistencies. The game is supposed to be fun. So forget about your short comings and play any game, regardless of the outcome. All you need is the desire to learn.

Kato

bluewolf
04-09-2003, 08:39 AM
I am inconsistent on long cuts otherwise okay in shooting(but better on the 4 3/4 ones at league than the 4 1/2 ones at home). Since I practice everyday this is getting better and also the simple shape. My shape is weak. I can get cb on the end of the table I want on the side of the table I want if you can imagine 4 zones. This usually gives me a shot on something but even though I know the preferred order the balls should be shot in, my shape is not good enough to get on the next preferred ball and not good breaking up clusters. Scott tried to teach me some of that.

So that is how it is now. Zones make sense to me now from bernes tape so I am trying to increase the zones I can put my ball into any of 12 zones on the table, that for me is kind of a long term goal to work towards over the next six months. Also to get 80% on shots I am weak on, not counting the real high level ones like reverse banks and 85+% cuts.

I am actually good at cb ball speed control ie hitting it as hard or soft as I want. What I lack is knowledge and experience of when to do this or that and how it will come off of the rail and where it will end up. I am better at predicting this with soft speeds however.

Some of my problem has been that I got so good at safety early on and that to me it was so much fun that I forgot to try to get the balls in aggressively. I literally let them get in most of their balls. I did not care as long as the eight was still there. Then I kept hiding while I picked off my balls one two three at a time until the 8 or the 8 and one ball was remaining . . But I was losing in part because my game was lopsided and I stopped practicing defense and started practicing offense but still love safes.

The only time I practice safe is when I am playing ww. Of course he wins, but if I get in most of my balls against a great player, feel I did pretty good.

It is so weird, I sit and watch the matches and to a good player near by I ask what ball order they would shoot, and how would they get off the rail to the next shot and if it looks like a hard shot to get on the 8, I will ask how they will do this. Since these are my teammates, they are glad to talk about this while watching. So even though I do not practice safe, I watch a lot and ask good players how they would play the table. I figure all this will come in handy down the road when I have developed my other skills.

Thanks popcorn for your feedback.

Laura

bluewolf
04-09-2003, 08:41 AM
Thanks kato. Now wouldnt it be nice to be so good at shape that one could make a long cut into a short one with consistency?

Laura

Kato
04-09-2003, 09:03 AM
Laura, sometimes you have no choice but to play shape for a difficult cut shot, sometimes that's what you come to the table with. As amatuers we are not going to be perfect, many times we are going to be less than good. It's pool, you take the good with the bad. I'm not an advanced 1 pocket player, don't mean I won't play. You have a table at home. You could play with Whitewolf if you want. Since you like to play safe that game would be perfect for you.

Kato~~~does not like safe, likes aggressive. Sometimes the best way to make it to the losers bracket.

bluewolf
04-09-2003, 09:59 AM
Thanks Kato. Of course I do have a handicap advantage and that is why I was able to beat the two fours I played. They were both very good shooters, one is now a five. They are both shooters and like a fast paced knock em in game. They both were better shooters than me, the one who is now a five was way better. I am convinced that the ONLY reason I beat them is because all of those safes slowed the game down so much, it drove them totally bonkers.

It is not a tribute to my shooting ability as much as my ability to frustrate these types of players. It will be nice, though, when I can win due to being a good shooter. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Laura

Icon of Sin
04-09-2003, 11:08 AM
Im a 9 ball guy myself, Just like the quick win possibilites

Tom_In_Cincy
04-09-2003, 03:44 PM
DeeMan.. good post,

I'll add,

One Pocket will make you execute almost all you know or think you know about your skills. Which will also enable you to see areas, where you need practice. Its a very good game for feedback on your skill assessment.

Banks, cuts, cue ball control, cluster and table management, strategy, defence and most of all "patience" (something we all need to improve, remember how much we hate slow players?)

Many of the newer players that have taken up One Pocket have learned to transfer that new found knowledge to their 9 and 8 ball games. And, have found that they are better off, doing so. You might be surprized how many One Pocket shots come up in 8 or 9 ball.

14.1 is equally a game that you can learn and take your new knowledge to your 8 and 9 ball games.

Sid_Vicious
04-09-2003, 04:07 PM
One local 1-P player, who was a 9-ball player first and then moved into 1-P(seriously) for a year or so, stated the other day that 1-P totally screwed up his 9 ball stroke. I'm sorry, but I can't find enough value in any game that alters most of your other game's strokes the way that I've heard 1-P does...sid

Tom_In_Cincy
04-09-2003, 08:42 PM
Sid,

I have heard this same statement from very good players, here in the mid-west.

I just tend to disagree. I play both and I don't see a degregation of any part of my stroke because of the differences of the game. But, I do see how some players can claim this as an excuse of not being able to compete in 9 ball. There isn't enough '9 ball type' of shots in One Pocket, to keep up an all-around good stroke.

If you mix up your games on a regular basis, you will be able to keep in stroke for all games. This is the positive aspect of playing different games. You become a better 'all around' player. Focusing on just one game (or even 2 different games) will limit your exposure to the many options at your disposal while competing.

And there is another aspect to consider. Its a new game, and you will be NEW to it, like you were when you first started playing pool. It can be a very humbling experience, but well worth it. You will find that One Pocket will easily identify weaknesses and strengths. You will also find that you get more turns at the table and that you have to make the best of each turn (just like 9 or 8 ball) or you have to pay the penalty.

Like any game of pocket billiards... its the challenge that keeps us coming back..

ras314
04-09-2003, 10:10 PM
eg8r, when were you at the U of F? I graduated in 65. Don't remember the name of the old wooden two story pool hall across the street but straight pool was the game. Dang floor moved every day, was a real challenge.

I Couldn't win there but made eating money downtown playing 9 ball. Still don't like 8 ball.