PDA

View Full Version : What's more weight?

03-22-2002, 05:12 PM
I've been shooting pool for a a few years now, I'm like a high C - low B player. I have always gamble with players my own speed or better. I never ask for weight, I just want to play better and I believe that putting money on the game makes me focus more.

Well, I've gotten to a point where I have lesser players asking me to play, but they want weight. I give this one guy I play the last two. I've been successful playing him and he wants more weight. He asks for the last three. I don't like it, I think it's too much. My problem is, I don't know the next step in weight.

Can someone list the following in order of least weight - most weight?

Last two
Last three
Called eight
Wild eight
Called seven
Wild seven

How about games on the wire? What is your opinion on games on the wire versus balls per game?

I really appreciate your input. I just want to make a fair game, I just don't know how.

03-22-2002, 05:19 PM
If you are a significantly better player than your opponent (and you must be if you consistently
beat him while giving up the "last two"), then you can give him "games on the wire" without
suffering nearly as much penalty as giving up another ball.

If you are close to one another in skill, games on the wire become more significant.

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: NeedtoKnow:</font><hr> I've been shooting pool for a a few years now, I'm like a high C - low B player. I have always gamble with players my own speed or better. I never ask for weight, I just want to play better and I believe that putting money on the game makes me focus more.

Well, I've gotten to a point where I have lesser players asking me to play, but they want weight. I give this one guy I play the last two. I've been successful playing him and he wants more weight. He asks for the last three. I don't like it, I think it's too much. My problem is, I don't know the next step in weight.

Can someone list the following in order of least weight - most weight?

Last two
Last three
Called eight
Wild eight
Called seven
Wild seven

How about games on the wire? What is your opinion on games on the wire versus balls per game?

I really appreciate your input. I just want to make a fair game, I just don't know how. <hr></blockquote>

03-22-2002, 06:43 PM
Here's the order IMHO:

Last two

Called eight

Wild Eight

Called seven

Wild seven

Last three

7&amp;8

Personally I would rather spot someone the seven than give them the last three. reasoning is you can make the seven and if something goes wrong, the opponent still needs to make two balls instead of just one, which eliminates the 18 rail 8 ball for a win with the last three. Some will say that two money balls are more than the last three.
Hope that helps.

Drake
03-22-2002, 08:38 PM
I agree with Scott. Another factor to bring up is the break. For players at a B skill level and above, getting the Break is better than getting the Wild eight. This sheds some light on the subject of how a player's skill level affects spots. If your opponent loves to wing at combo's ....always give him a call ball spot. Another option that is often overlooked is changing the game. Try changing the game to 10 ball and giving him the Wild Nine Ball.

cheesemouse
03-22-2002, 08:55 PM
Scott,
Isn't there a weight less than the last two?

03-22-2002, 10:06 PM
Hey cheese, not that I know of. Well, personally, I always thought spotting the five was always a suckers game. Reason being if the opponent doesn't make the five in their first inning (excluding a saftey) I believe it is a high percentage that the better player will pocket the 5 in his first inning, hence eliminating the spot for the rest of the game, putting the pressure on the weaker player to run out and make the nine, should the stronger player relinquish control of the table.

cheesemouse
03-22-2002, 10:27 PM
The Shot,
That five is an interesting way to think of it but what I was thinking of is called 'the safe eight'. It is kind of hard to explain. When you give the safe 8 it means that the guy/gal can't lose the game if they make the 8 but they have to go on and make the 9 to win the game. If you make the nine it is a push. I've only talked two people into taking that weight and just out of spite I made one guy give me that weight and it helped me a bunch in what turned into a long session. Not many players know of this weight. Crazy, huh?

Drake
03-22-2002, 10:46 PM
That's pretty interesting. The craziest spot I've ever witnessed was a Pro, Luat, giving a guy the "two and stop" spot. Luat could NEVER shoot more than two balls in, On the third ball...he had to play safe. How about them apples???