PDA

View Full Version : Answers to a Pool Players Prayers

hhsaloon
04-07-2003, 12:01 PM
I was wondering if anyone else has read this book by Richard Kranicki and get any opinions. Is there all that much to the dominant eye theory for making shots? Blackjack, I read the Dominant Eye portion of your site and your reasoning, if I understand it correctly, as long as I can see out of both eyes and can focus properly, I should be OK. After reading the 115 pages of this book, I like your theory better. But because of the apparent study this guy put into this book with all the writing about left/right dominance, peripheral vision, pure eye aim, etc., I was interested in the opinion of the pool masses if it had any validity.

DSAPOLIS
04-07-2003, 12:42 PM
I have not read this book, but I have heard a lot of good things about it from other players. I have never claimed to be an expert on the subject of the dominant eye theory, and if you research where that excerpt is from (an RSB thread from 2000) my views on the subject were torn to shreds by others who obviously had opposing views. My theory is simple: You can concentrate on a million things at once, or just one thing. If you have to consciously prepare your stance, stroke, sighting, etc, your mind will be jumbled and concentrating on evertying except getting the ball into the pocket. Playing in the zone is characterized by the feeling of playing on autopilot. Dominant eye is good info, my dominant eye is the right eye. This means absolutely nothing as I always shoot with both eyes open and never knew the difference between the dominant eye or the non-dominant eye before having knowledge of which was which. The article at that site was taken out of context from a thread that offers advice on the subject by prominent individuals that have extensive knowledge on the subject, such as Lou Figueroa, Ron Shepard, Tom Simpson, and Bob Jewett.
here is a link to the thread (http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=02000cac.820bed13%40usw-ex0106-048.remarq.com&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DISO-8859-1%26q%3Dsapolis%2Bdominant%2Beye%26meta%3Dgroup%25 3Drec.sport.billiard)

I merely gave my opinion on the subject which states that it is only a factor if you consciously worry about it, and I compared it to walking. You don't cosciously worry about how to walk after you know how, but if I told you one leg was stronger than the other, your attention would drift to figure out which one is or isn't, and it's quite silly when both assist each other in completing the task. The body must work together. What if the eyes thought they were more important than the rest of the body, and they decided they were so good that they didn't need the rest of the body anymore? While working in unison with your body, your eyes are functional, but independent from the body they are quite useless. This is an interesting analogy that can be used to show how everything must work in unison, and can also aid teams in controlling egotistic players, as well as helping individual players develop a good support system to aid in the progression of the playing future, alas, none of us do it by oursleves.

NBC-BOB
04-07-2003, 01:34 PM
I just recently heard about this book and talked with a friend about it.I'm certainly not a pro and not as knowledgeable as others on this board.Having said that I think some people theorize to much and go over the top.
If your basic fundamentals are solid I wouldn't worry about
this. I think a lot of people don't apply the solid fundamentals and then go off the deep end thinking about what's wrong with there game.

phil in sofla
04-08-2003, 03:26 PM
He points out some things that are absolutely true, such as why you would undercut a shot if you stand more upright than usual. (An optical illusion gives the impression that the equator of the object ball and cue ball is higher than it is, and when you think the true edge of the balls is higher than their equators, you are aiming fatter than you should).

It is often said that a changed stance/head position can be the cause of otherwise inexplicable slumps in shooting accuracy, and by paying attention to the head position and height, making it constant, you can help avoid them.

mark wilson
04-09-2003, 09:22 AM
I have thought about the dominant eye and from discussions among top players determined that they are not concerned with the dominate eye. Without trying to assist the dominate eye it will do the "seeing" for you as it is the dominate eye.

ceebee
04-09-2003, 10:25 AM
I'd certainly like to know what knowledge is in this Book?

The dominant eye theory... ain't really theory for some of us. I learned to aim the Cue at the Object ball as I would a rifle barrel, so I have the Cue under my right eye (dominant eye). Seems to work for me.

The owner of my Pool Hall has an eye that is cocked out of focus... but he'll give you a "go for your dough".... beats me how he plays at all. We also have another gent that plays so out of kilter that it's amazing... but he too will give you your money's worth.