PDA

View Full Version : Szamboti cues

UWPoolGod
04-07-2003, 09:17 PM
I feel like I know a little bit about cues, but I am perplexed by Szamboti's. I see several of them on eBay right now and they are all over $4000 with bids up to $9800 on one of them right now. What is the deal with them? What makes them so popular and collectible? They look halfway simple. Are they just that good? Has he passed on? I am just too lazy to go search it out for myself.

Thanks
Todd

cueball1950
04-07-2003, 09:36 PM
Gus passed a while back and it is like owning a masterpiece i guess... He was a master and there were only so many made and maybe that is why the prices are so high. only so many made and they are being hoarded by collectors.....mike

Fred Agnir
04-08-2003, 06:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> I feel like I know a little bit about cues, but I am perplexed by Szamboti's. I see several of them on eBay right now and they are all over $4000 with bids up to $9800 on one of them right now. What is the deal with them? What makes them so popular and collectible? They look halfway simple. Are they just that good? Has he passed on? I am just too lazy to go search it out for myself.

Thanks
Todd <hr /></blockquote>If you know a little about cues, then you should know that people consider Gus one of the handful of greatest cuemakers ever, especially when you're considering past masters. His work inspired much of what you see today. For a while, so regarded was his half-splice that Balabushka bought spliced blanks from him. Along with George and Gus, not many other names are so highly regarded. Maybe no other cuemakers aside from Herman Rambow.

I think it would have been a tossup between Balabushka and Szamboti as far as the Color of Money cue went.

Get yourself The Bluebook of Pool for more information. All of the above facts give his cues "collectability."

Fred

DSAPOLIS
04-08-2003, 07:02 AM
The Szamboti I had was the finest hitting cue I had ever shot with. It was stolen almost 18 years ago. At the time I had too much beer, not enough sense.

Barbara
04-08-2003, 09:49 AM
His son Barry is also making some pretty fine looking cues, too. And as for the hit, all I can say is that it floats in my hand.

Barbara~~~dreaming of an 8-pointer in her future...