PDA

View Full Version : How is your rythum?

Rod
04-07-2003, 09:40 PM
First an explanation. My rythum is slow with gradual acceleration. When I play well there isn't a hint of hitting at the c/b on any shot. I'm sure a lot has been written on the subject but it's worth bring up. The other day someone mentioned having a glass of water on top the cue and not spill a drop (sorry I forgot who). I have used the same phrase describing my stroke but we all know sometimes it's more like sitting on top a jack hammer. LOL

A few days ago I saw an old friend, Don Rose at Clicks. He was giving a lesson to a student and I was practicing. After he finished he come over and said Rodney what's going on, what's new with you? I said to the effect nothing new but I just don't feel like I'm getting through the shot right. He looks at a couple then said, well your not doing to bad, shape is good. Here is the shot, the o/b is about 2 ball widths or less from the side rail. START(
%AO1E8%BL7P8%CN0O8%DL4N1%EM1P2%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM1O3%I s0S0%Pi8U6
%UQ4C8%VO8E8%Wl6Z3%Xk1Z9%Yi9Z0%ZR3D0
)END

I said yes but something doesn't feel right, about that time I missed the shot. After shooting a couple more with decent position he said I see the problem. Don is the only guy I trust to notice the fine details, because he knows my stroke. He said your a tiny bit quick, not much but a little. Slow down on the delivery a fraction. I thought I did but it wasn't quite there so he slowed me to just above a snails crawl. LOL After 3 shots here was the results. START(
%AO1E8%BL7P8%CN0O8%DL4N1%EM1P2%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM1O3%I s0S0%Pi8U6
%UQ4C8%VO8E8%Wq9W5%Xr8V9%Yr6V3%ZR3D0
)END

I shot three in a row there and nearly froze 2 more on that rail. I switched table sides with the same effect. Now I'm not saying it's the best way for position because comming into the side rail first is the best option. What I liked was the slight slow down and c/b reaction. Well it just felt perfect and it made me feel good. I hit much crisper shots with less effort in a game later. It got so sweet and felt like the old me. Long follow or draw shots was handled with lack of speed and ease.

My point is, it is a given that 90 + percent of players do shoot to hard, accelerate to fast and miss shots or position in the process. Next time you play consider putting yourself in slow motion. When you think it's slow, slow down a little more for your metabolism / rythum. You may be doing yourself a big favor.

Rod

04-08-2003, 12:57 AM
For me, in competition, I may slow too much. Naturally, on a practice table, I play faster when I get "in rhythm" but in a tournament, I often don't allow this, fearing stupid mistakes... and when I slow down, trying to make every move deliberate, I start to think too much and miss the key shots.

It seems a "I am Earl Strickland, I am Earl..." -mantra works well for me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
04-08-2003, 12:01 PM
Perhaps I should explain a bit more. It's not that I slow down my play, in fact quite the opposite. Since I trust the very slight slower movement at the start of my forward motion my speed of play if anything is faster. It is little but it is my normal playing speed. It is definately not deliberate nor should it be. It needs to be established in practice, then carried it over to the normal game. This is what your doing when you hit "your rythum". If were not in sync then problems can start, we start thinking at the table. Big no no.

My description should have been a graph. It relates to timing of the stroke. It also relates to the gradual increase of cue speed within this timing. I'll just keep it simple because I really can't show speed. A was my timing of the backswing, B is time of forward motion to C which is impact and then to D which I relate to length of follow through. Someone made a graph of cue speed on google which is useful. Fred, Tom or others may have the link. As an example, here was my timing that was a little quick, then after as I slowed it a tad.

A--------B-------C-----D

A---------B--------C------D

That small difference in timing is what I needed to get through the ball and feel natural. It's not meant to be dead accurate, just a visual.

My normal timing is good here but the next line below that I would be really frustrated. As I explained above it was not that bad.

A---------B--------C------D

A------B-----C---D

Quite short and abrupt. This is the kind of thing I see except worse in the average player. We all have our own personal timing whatever that may be, some are quicker but normal. It would be boring if we all had the same stroke but the timing factor within that stroke has to be normal for you. That's what we all want because that's when we play our best. Take out a dash, or two max during your personal time line and you lose your feel for a good stroke.

That's what I mean by feeling like you in slow motion. Your really not it just feels slowed down and unhurried, which should feel normal. Unfortunately it is a plague to most players because they feel the need for speed to quick, both back and forwards. A slight pause at the back can help some but it is definately not a cure all for everyone. I probably should have left that out but some incorporate this move in there swing and the above is only one reason.
Hope this helps

Rod