PDA

View Full Version : Draw shot question

Carlton31698
04-08-2003, 07:05 AM
When I draw the cb hard I tend to hit my self in the chest. I never do this on a normal draw shot, only when I draw the length of the table. I have a good draw shot, I get the shape I am shooting for, but it drives me crazy b/c I know I am doing something wrong. What should I do to fix this, or should I leave it alone? Thanks for your help /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

snipershot
04-08-2003, 07:11 AM
IMO, your getting the shape you want period. If you get the shape you want you must be doing something right as well, when I draw I can't consistently draw the CB specific distances, say to within a few inches of where I want to be, I usually end up about six inches off target. So if your getting the right position with the CB I would leave things as they are, that's just what I would do though.

Pizza Bob
04-08-2003, 08:21 AM
Sounds like you're poking at the cue ball - not using a smooth follow-through. If you jab and pull the stick back (which must be what's happening if you're hitting yourself in the chest) you are not going "through" the cue ball. Concentrate on follow-through, and don't jab/poke at the CB.

Adios,

Pizza Bob <---figures if he says it three times it is more meaningful

Fred Agnir
04-08-2003, 08:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Carlton31698:</font><hr> When I draw the cb hard I tend to hit my self in the chest. I never do this on a normal draw shot, only when I draw the length of the table. <hr /></blockquote>I'll go the other route and say that maybe you need to be hitting your chest on normal draw shots as well. The Finish and all. At least you're not dropping your elbow.

Fred

=k=
04-08-2003, 08:31 AM
i had this problem also.. instructor told me i was down to low on shot.. a little more upright solved the problem. k

ChrisW
04-08-2003, 08:45 AM
Wow! 4 different solutions so far.
Well I guess 1 more can't hurt.
I think you may be tightening up on your follow through.
Try to stay loose all the way through the shot.
This could be from being a little too anxious on your a long draw shots.

Then again I am not an instructor as some folks here are.
I am sure the best way to find out whats going on is to have an instructor watch you.
Good Luck.
Chris

bluewolf
04-08-2003, 11:12 AM
I do not know if this is what you are doing, but will give it a shot based on what I was doing at one time. I hit the draw correctly ie right place on the cb,but did not follow through, but then jerked back the stick so that the ball would not hit it. Since, in my mind,the harder I have hit the draw, the faster the cb will come back, in this case I jerked back harder and faster.

Someone showed me a trick around this. Complete the draw without fear of the cb hitting the stick. Simply lift the stick slightly (still in the finish position) and rotate the stick horizontally away from the path of the shot. It works for me and now I dont worry very often about the cb hitting the stick.

Aint an ole timer in the sport so it is just what happened to me.

Laura

Wally_in_Cincy
04-08-2003, 11:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> I do not know if this is what you are doing, but will give it a shot based on what I was doing at one time. I hit the draw correctly ie right place on the cb,but did not follow through, but then jerked back the stick so that the ball would not hit it. Since, in my mind,the harder I have hit the draw, the faster the cb will come back, in this case I jerked back harder and faster.

<font color="blue">And what does that have to do with carlton hitting himself in the chest? </font color>

Someone showed me a trick around this. Complete the draw without fear of the cb hitting the stick. Simply lift the stick slightly (still in the finish position) and rotate the stick horizontally away from the path of the shot.

<font color="blue">I don't think that's gonna make for a real pretty stroke. If you have time to do that why don't you just pull the cue back? If you're that close to the OB you're not gonna follow thru that far anyway. Why not just use a "nip" draw? What's the point? </font color>

It works for me and now I dont worry very often about the cb hitting the stick.

<font color="blue">I don't either. For different reasons. </font color>

Aint an ole timer in the sport

<font color="blue">..... </font color>

so it is just what happened to me.

Laura <hr /></blockquote>

JohnnyP
04-08-2003, 12:21 PM
I have this happen, too. I'm a lefty, and I'll launch my cell phone onto the table, if I forget to take it out of my shirt pocket.

Guess that means I'm not dropping the elbow. What about Allison? Her stick moves in a straight line, even on a long draw shot.

04-08-2003, 03:42 PM
I have a terrible draw shot the cue ball tends to jump up when ever i try to make a long draw, my friend tells me it is because I do not have a steady bridge. Can someone tell me of a good way to solve my bridge problem?

Fran Crimi
04-08-2003, 04:07 PM
There are a couple of possibilities but try this: Have someone stand directly behind you when you shoot and have them tell you if your lower arm is hanging straight down from your elbow. Chances are that it's angled towards your body and whenever you increase your follow-through you'll hit yourself in the chest.

This is often a sign of a reverse dominant eye situation, meaning that if your right-handed, your dominant eye is your left eye and you're trying to bring the cue under your left eye which causes you to tilt your arm inward towards your torso.

If that's the case, you probably need a slight stance adjustment by standing slightly more parallel to the cue. You may have been unconsciously inhibiting your follow-through for a long time, not even realizing why.

Fran

Alfie
04-08-2003, 06:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> If that's the case, you probably need a slight stance adjustment by standing slightly more parallel to the cue. <hr /></blockquote> Rotate more towards or away from the cue?

Fran Crimi
04-08-2003, 07:51 PM
What does your logic tell you? I'll tell you if you're right.

Fran

Rod
04-08-2003, 07:53 PM
LOL

bigbro6060
04-08-2003, 08:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote =k=:</font><hr> i had this problem also.. instructor told me i was down to low on shot.. a little more upright solved the problem. k <hr /></blockquote>

Different strokes for different folks for sure but i do disagree with this

Snooker players are right down on the cue and the best can draw huge distances on a 12 ft table

Alfie
04-08-2003, 09:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> What does your logic tell you? I'll tell you if you're right. <hr /></blockquote> My logic? LOL

OK, I have a 50/50 shot at this. Getting more parallel to the cue is the same as opening up the stance. (I know what opening and closing the stance means.)

Did I get it right? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

IMO, when the torso (i.e., a bent at the waist torso, not an erect torso. Although they could be the same depending on which torso axis in each case you use as a reference) gets more parallel, the feetsline (i.e., the line between the balls of the feet, not the general heel to toe direction line) gets more perpendicular; and vice versa. So it depends on whether you are talking about the torso or the feetsline.

Or are you talkin' about the orientation of hips?

bluewolf
04-09-2003, 05:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr>This is often a sign of a reverse dominant eye situation, meaning that if your right-handed, your dominant eye is your left eye and you're trying to bring the cue under your left eye which causes you to tilt your arm inward towards your torso.

If that's the case, you probably need a slight stance adjustment by standing slightly more parallel to the cue. You may have been unconsciously inhibiting your follow-through for a long time, not even realizing why.

Fran

<hr /></blockquote>

I have a slight dominance problem. So I try to keep the cue under my chin when shootie righty.The stance is very open or squarish or is that closed /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif. In lefty shooting,my stance is much narrower. Not sure either what you mean by parallel unless it is more both feet almost in line.But, which is parallel, the snooker square one or the other one? Logically the snooker type seems more perpendicular?

Laura

randyg
04-09-2003, 06:51 AM
What's wrong with that. Sounds like a complete stroke....randyg

Fran Crimi
04-09-2003, 07:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Alfie:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> What does your logic tell you? I'll tell you if you're right. <hr /></blockquote> My logic? LOL

OK, I have a 50/50 shot at this. Getting more parallel to the cue is the same as opening up the stance. (I know what opening and closing the stance means.)

Did I get it right? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

IMO, when the torso (i.e., a bent at the waist torso, not an erect torso. Although they could be the same depending on which torso axis in each case you use as a reference) gets more parallel, the feetsline (i.e., the line between the balls of the feet, not the general heel to toe direction line) gets more perpendicular; and vice versa. So it depends on whether you are talking about the torso or the feetsline.

Or are you talkin' about the orientation of hips? <hr /></blockquote>

I was referring to the feet being more parallel. If you think it through, by hitting yourself in the chest (right handed) your right shoulder is to too far to the right of the cue stick so at least 50% of your torso is directly above the line of your cue.

By placing the left foot slightly more ahead of the right and slightly towards the cue, your right shoulder is over your cue rather than to the right of your cue and your bent torso is more to the left of your cue. This enables the player to bring their left eye over the cue and still keep the right shoulder directly over the cue line. That's the key.

So the adjustment I meant was to actually face your cue a little more.

If you square off your stance more (feet opeing up closer to perpindicular) that makes it worse if you sight your shots with your inside eye, which is what causes the lower back arm to bend inward towards the body.

You may notice that Pro player Monica Webb has a bent arm when she shoots. She compensates by rolling her hand under her stick as she shoots to avoid hitting her torso. It's tough to do it that way consistently. I don't recommend it.

Fran

Leviathan
04-09-2003, 10:06 AM
'Lo, Carlton. I bet Fran's nailed your problem. But if you're still hitting your chest on the forward stroke--it is the forward stroke, isn't it?--you might not be striking the CB at the bottom of your stroke.

If your back hand swings forward beyond your back elbow before you hit the CB, you can easily cramp your cue (or your forearm) against your chest on the followthrough--especially when the followthrough is very long, as it may be when one tries to maximize draw.

I like to set the length of my bridge and the angle of my back elbow while holding the tip of my cue very close to the CB. When I do this, I automatically hit the CB at the bottom of my stroke, and I can complete my followthrough without cramping the stroke. Maybe something like this would work for you.

Good luck,

D.M.

04-09-2003, 10:16 AM
am having trouble drawing the whole length of the table can anybody help me?

Carlton31698
04-09-2003, 10:40 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I would like to thank everyone for the help. I think I am going to have someone record me while I shoot this shot to see exactly what I am doing then I cam use your advice to fix my problem. Thanks Carlton.

04-10-2003, 06:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote AsianX:</font><hr> I have a terrible draw shot the cue ball tends to jump up when ever i try to make a long draw, my friend tells me it is because I do not have a steady bridge. Can someone tell me of a good way to solve my bridge problem? <hr /></blockquote>
I do the same thing occasionally. It only happens when I'm too casual about the shot and don't really focus. To fix this I try to really concentrate on the shot-mainly tip placement and shooting through the ball with a good follow through. Hope this helps! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Alfie
04-18-2003, 01:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr>So the adjustment I meant was to actually face your cue a little more. <hr /></blockquote>Thanks, Francine.