PDA

View Full Version : slump

04-08-2003, 10:06 AM
so i was curios if anyone has experianced a really bad slump after playing consistantly for two weeks i lost all my good bank shots its very frustrating. i recently bought a 19oz Action cue after playing with house cues all my life but i cant blame the arrow just the chief. the cue is strait but my minds always on the form during my draw and aiming for a good leave. any advise please? after 3 molsons my game is back on track. thanx

04-08-2003, 10:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
any advise please? <hr /></blockquote>

Use the "check spelling" tool.

Mike

Mike

eg8r
04-08-2003, 10:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Use the "check spelling" tool. <hr /></blockquote>
Awww that is nice. Our 1 perfect newbie is already correcting others. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Good job, Tebjumpper, I am sure you have helped him with his banking question.

eg8r

eg8r
04-08-2003, 10:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
so i was curios if anyone has experianced a really bad slump after playing
consistantly for two weeks <hr /></blockquote> I wonder how bad a slump could be after that short of a time playing.
[ QUOTE ]
i lost
all my good bank shots its very frustrating. <hr /></blockquote> Keep practicing the bank shots over and over until you get them. You might want to look into getting a local instructor to help you.
[ QUOTE ]
any advise please? after 3 molsons my game is back on
track. thanx <hr /></blockquote> If your game is getting better after drinking, then I think the only thing changing is your perception of your game, not the quality of execution. I know some people that will have a drink to help them relax, but none of them need 3. If they needed 3 beers to help them relax then the problem is a little more serious than just being nervous before a tournament.

I say all this in jest, just keep practicing. 2 weeks is such a small point in time, you really are not getting a good look at the issue. Maybe for two weeks you were playing over your head and banking all over the place. Maybe during the first two weeks you really were not noticing the missed shots, but now you have changed and are only looking at shots missed. There are a lot of variables that could be happening.

eg8r

bluewolf
04-08-2003, 11:49 AM
Well I do not drink beer so cannot relate to that part. Used to get smashed all the time though unrelated to pool. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I have been playing seriously since last august and even in my short pool career have had times that I did not have a desire to play. I tried to drag my butt to the table if only for a couple of racks a few times a week until it subsided and I was motivated. I know that sometimes a person is frustrated, but usually something was going on inside of myself to cause me to feel this way. I cannot say anything about you, for one thing I do not know you, but I can list a few things that have been factors in lack of motivation for me from time to time and not all at once. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

1)Physical illness
2)Burned out or issues at work
3)Issues with SO or someone close which occupy my mind
4) Family troubles such as someone else who is sick, money troubles or the sh*t hitting the fan, everything wrong all at once.
5)Un realistic expectations of my progress resulting in disappointment

IMO, all kinds of mental things can come into play for me. If something, anything is occupying so much space in my head then there is little space left for pool. For me this mental stuff can be pool related or pool unrelated, but it still occupies that space. When that happens, I lose motivation and have even gotten down on myself from time to time.

Like I said, I dont know you. I dont know if any of this will ring a bell for you but if it doesnt something somebody else will say probably will.

Laura

eg8r
04-08-2003, 12:39 PM
bluewolf. I am not attacking you in any with this reply, but what the heck does your lack of motivation (at times) have to do with being in a slump and unable to make a bank shot? Stage1 never mentioned losing his motivation, at least I did not see that in the post.

eg8r

Rod
04-08-2003, 12:57 PM
I'll just say this, playing consistant for two weeks is a very short time. I don't know how long you have been playing pool but it's bound to happen to newer players. Seasoned players stay consistant for long periods then something can go wrong but usually not for long.

Just go back to the basic fundamentals, even seasoned players do such. When a person gets frustrated it magnifies what they do wrong. Slow down and regroup and think about what your going to do before you get in your stance. Not while your at the table. It all will fall back into place in a short time.

Rod

04-08-2003, 01:39 PM
Hello,
slumps are a normal part of the game and can occur without any known reason at the professional level. don't become overly fixated on poor shooting.

i've found two options for me that have worked: take a break for awhile until you miss playing dearly.. then start regular practice sessions. or you can just play/practice through the slump, using different drills than normal. leave the banks alone for awhile. don't worry the angles and hit comes back. it's a mistake to associate drinking with better performance for many reasons. in a tournament a couple of beers can help make one less nervous but i've seen this often and personally experienced that pool and drinking become linked. this can cause a more permanent slump in stroke. play through it/practice differently or take a break.
best regards,
^v^

Scott Lee
04-08-2003, 02:13 PM
Great answer, Rod! Hope we get to hit a few balls when I come through Phoenix the end of this month. Email or PM me your phone number, and I'll do the same.

Scott

04-08-2003, 03:33 PM
thanx(thanks) for the replies, when i meant consistently for me at least is i stepped up from once a week to at least four times a week. unfortunatly i dont have room for a table in my pad to practice drills but i appreciate the advise guys. im not exactly getting smashed bluwolf /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif but it does help me focus a little better lol

Fran Crimi
04-08-2003, 03:37 PM
Don't rule out the new cue. There may be a little more flex in the shaft than with the house cues you were using. That could be a big difference in the way you feel the shot. Try shooting with the house cues again and see if it makes a difference. If it does, you may want to consider getting another cue with a stiffer shaft.

Fran

Rod
04-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Great to hear Scott, I look forward to it. At least it will be before the heat wave! I'll get a PM off shortly.

Rod

eg8r
04-08-2003, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i dont have room for a table in my pad to practice drills but i appreciate the advise guys. <hr /></blockquote> I don't think I would want a pool table on a pad. I tend to like a more solid surface. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Just kidding.

Like I said before, keep playing and practicing.

eg8r