PDA

View Full Version : Lost My Ass on this Tip Job!!!!!

SpiderMan
04-08-2003, 10:35 AM
Our VNEA city (Dallas) singles championships was held this past weekend, Saturday and Sunday. I was shooting really well, and at the end of the day Saturday I hadn't lost a match. They sent us home, noting that all the money matches would be played the following day and videotaped.

On my way home, the tournament director called on my cell phone and said that one of the players had an emergency tip repair, could I please bring my tools in the morning and help him out. His tip had broken and he had to have a LePro so he could finish the tournament. I said OK, just tell him to show up an hour early and I would take care of it.

Next day, I set up behind the tournament counter, and this little guy came up with his cue. Sure enough, it was a LePro worn down about as thin as a dime, with a chunk half the size of a bb gone from the edge. He noted that he wanted his new tip cut down thin, so that it wouldn't be a big change for him. So I put on the tip and called him over, and we trimmed a little at a time until he was satisfied. The new tip was now almost as thin as the one I cut off, but at least it didn't have any missing pieces. He thanked me, paid me the going rate plus a $5 tip, and went away happy.

I blistered my first opponent, getting 3 runouts on the video. Great, when I'm in a slump I'll have something to watch and remind myself that I used to play pool! I'm in the quarterfinals.

Next draw - the little guy with the new tip. We make a few jokes about tip jinxes, he wins the toss for first break. He breaks and makes about 3 balls. Then he runs out. It's alternating break. I slam about 3 in on the break, my next shot is a thin cut in the side to break up a cluster, and .... the 8-ball sneaks into the corner pocket. We make another joke about jinxes. He breaks and runs again. I'm down 3-0. I break and make nothing. He starts running balls again, but misses a tough cut. I'm stuck up against my own ball, can't make a thing. So I sabotage and push my ball (the only ball I can hit) up against one of his balls. Not a bad play, but he has another shot which he pockets, and then he runs out again! I'm down 4-0, he's on the hill, and I've only shot in maybe 3 balls the entire match! And it's his turn to break!

He gets a great break, balls spread everywhere, I'm about to get skunked, but he rattles a ball somewhere near the end of the run, leaving me a wide open table which I run out. 4-1, at least I'm not skunked.

Next game I break and make something, can't run out but I play safe early. He runs down to two balls plus the eight then scratches going for a breakout. I safe him three times in a row, each time breaking out one of my balls and sticking him behind another of my balls or the 8. Then I run out to make it 4-2.

I don't remember the details of the last games, but he never got off the hill and I came back from a 4-0 deficit to send him to the loser's bracket. I then beat one more opponent and was alone at the top of the winner's bracket.

Meanwhile, this little guy with the LePro was coming up the other side, beating the pants off guys that scare me, 5-0, 5-1, etc, until we're facing each other again in the finals.

He has to double-dip me to win, and he does ... 5-1 in the first set and 5-2 in the second. I think he missed maybe three balls in the 13 games we played. I'm playing the best pool of my life and he went through me like sh*t through a goose. With MY OWN TIP!!!

SpiderMan

Barbara
04-08-2003, 10:43 AM
Oh Spidey, that was cold. Really cold.

Barbara

eg8r
04-08-2003, 10:48 AM
LOL, that sucks. I would have asked him if I could see that cue one more time. When he showed it to me, I would cut the tip off and tell him I don't approve of the way he treated my work. LOL

Maybe you could blame the TD. Certainly first place would have paid you more money than a tip repair. The TD tricked you into a losing situation knowing full well you could not beat this guy if he had a good tip. ROTFL.

You were had from the beginning.

eg8r

wolfdancer
04-08-2003, 11:03 AM
..and all this with a LePro???? Just imagine what he would have done with a good tip.
My Predater came with a LePro, and it just didn't hit right.We've got 4 regulars that play with Predaters, and no one liked the "hit". Replacing it with a Triangle solved the problem...I guess a LePro on a Predater, is like putting Firestones on an Explorer

9 Ball Girl
04-08-2003, 11:27 AM
Spidey, I would've asked him for a gapper! What the hell, without you, he wouldn't have won, right? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Deeman
04-08-2003, 12:50 PM
Spiderman:

Remind me to have you replace all my tips from now on! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dee

Rod
04-08-2003, 01:09 PM
Well the guy obviously could play so you had a worthy opponent. Fate would have it you replaced his tip. Great finish on your part though. Had you of won that would be two years in a row, right?

It reminds me of drag racing years ago. A guy had a problem with fuel cavitation ( but didn't know it )getting close to the finals. I looked over his setup and noticed his fuel filter. I told him to take the filter off it was to small for his injected setup. He did and won his next round and so did I. We met in the finals and he squeaked past me at the end. What a bummer. Well he won fair and square so I can't say much other than he was the better driver that day. Of course he would have never made it past the next round with a sour motor. Ah tips, filters, whats the difference, we would still do the same thing the next time.

Rod

Sid_Vicious
04-08-2003, 03:21 PM
I came out with a different view point SM, is there merit in the way the guy cut the new tip down to his desired shortened height? How about helping me take one of my many spare shafts with a fairly fresh tip, and you can recreate the same finished product on my tip, chopping it down to your remembered picture of his finished tip.

DISCLAIMER: I am not trying to say this tip style is a beat all, but it sound like this guy was pretty sure of himself, consumating in the win.

Sid

SpiderMan
04-08-2003, 04:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Well the guy obviously could play so you had a worthy opponent. Fate would have it you replaced his tip. Great finish on your part though. Had you of won that would be two years in a row, right?
Rod <hr /></blockquote>

No, this is my first year to play VNEA. I think the other tourney you were remembering was the APA state singles down in Austin last year.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying my tip was the reason he played well. I'll go one step further and confess that he was better than me, a lot better than me, and that if we played a hundred matches he'd probably win 70. I was playing the best pool of my life, which got me to the finals, but still he was better.

The only reason I beat him the first time was that he missed a few key shots and I was left with a clear path out. In the finals, he gave me almost nothing. Anyway, now I'm trying to recruit him for my BCA team. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan

snipershot
04-08-2003, 04:38 PM
That loss will probably stand out a bit more than all the others, oh well I guess you win some and you lose some. At least you lost to a good player and didn't get skunked either so it could have been worse.

bell
04-08-2003, 05:53 PM
Ouch, Spiderman, I feel your pain. At least you know you put on a great tip.

Rod
04-08-2003, 06:28 PM
I don't blame you he sounds like a real good player. Good luck!

Rod

Rod
04-08-2003, 06:35 PM
Sid,
It's not uncommon. He took off an old hard tip. A new full size LePro would feel mushy. In an effort to retain a similar feel he had the tip cut down so there isn't as much "meat" to compress. That plus some people just don't like tall tips. To me a tips plays best when it's half worn out. I always shave mine down just not to that extent.

Rod

eg8r
04-08-2003, 08:39 PM
Could all this great pool playing be happening because of the practice you had while playing at the wonderful PettyPlace pool hall?

eg8r

pooldaddy9
04-08-2003, 08:43 PM
Got to be proud of your own work. How much did you say you charged to put on a tip? I need all the help I can get...

sneakypapi
04-08-2003, 11:50 PM
Hey I like Le Pro tips, the only thing I dislike is it never seems to keep it's shape for a long period of time. Otherwise, the playability is not too bad for the price.

Eric.
04-09-2003, 08:10 AM
Hey Spidey,

One word:

E N D O R S E M E N T S /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric

Tom_In_Cincy
04-09-2003, 08:53 PM
Spiderman,

If I am ever down your way.. I will have my cues.. and will want you to re-tip them.. this is one thing I know for sure... Big TIP included, of course.

SpiderMan
05-02-2003, 08:23 AM
Here it is a month later, and last night I decided to play in the handicapped 8-ball tournament near my house. It's a pretty decent tournament, always a full field of 32 players, only $5 entry (no greens fee), and the house doubles the pot. It's always been a pretty decent place to collect my weekly allowance, though doing so has bumped up my handicap.

I currently give most of the players in the tournament the 8-ball (think about it, in a game of 8-ball that's a huge spot, not having to shoot the 8 so you can play your last balls in any order). The lower-ranked players get the 8-ball plus one game on the wire in a race to 3 (winner's side) or the 8 and one on the wire in a race to 2 (loser's side).

Anyway, I sign up for the tournament and who do I see but my friend with the shaved-down tip having dinner near one of the tables. I check with the TD to make sure he knows this guy is a player, so he's handicapped correctly. I'll be playing him even.

After the draw, I see that we won't meet until the semifinals on the winner's side. Sure enough, about 11 pm we draw one another and he shot the lights out. Now I'm on the loser's side, but I clawed my way back through the bracket to face him in the finals.

First set, I beat him to even the score. It's getting late now, and our final match on the "losers" side is set as a race to one! I got the break and failed to run out, then he finished me off to take 1st.

Now, to pour salt in my wounds, the tournament director pays us off and informs me that my 2nd-place finish pushed me into the next handicap level. Next week I'll be giving the 8-ball to that guy that I've never beaten!

Life ain't fair, is it?

SpiderMan

Predator314
05-02-2003, 08:38 AM
I believe I would have cut his tip off by now. Or spit in his chalk /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ralph S.
05-04-2003, 11:14 AM
And I thought I had been hosed in the past...that is beyond brutal SM. I feel for ya.

ceebee
05-05-2003, 09:58 AM
...in 1964 (I hope my memory isn't failing me), Arnold Palmer throws his Putter away after a bad round in the Tournament of Champions. Tony Lema picks it up &amp; returns it to Palmer. Arnie tells Tony "You can have it, I don't want it anymore".

Tony goes on to beat Arnold Palmer, in the last round of the Tournament of Champions. In fact Tony Lema goes on to win a lot of Tournaments with that Putter.

Sometimes we accidentally give our fortune away.... cb

bluewolf
05-06-2003, 07:29 AM
I hate that feeling.But, spidey, it does sound like you beat him well the first time

If I at least win one game, even if I lose, I feel better. I also feel better if it is on the wire. Many of my games are on the wire, but when they sink the 8 and I still have 3-4 balls on the table, that sucks too.

Laura