PDA

View Full Version : no pool halls round here

snook
04-08-2003, 02:49 PM
i live in sullivan indiana(there you go stalkers...) and theres no pool halls here, theres two either way from me but its a half hour drive. i have a ten foot snooker table on my basement i play on everyday and i enjoy that but theres just not much solid competition up here. iim only looking for some friendly games and it seems pretty hard to find. about the only solid action is the legion on tuesday nights and theres about five of us who play on a horrid little six foot table with almost no rails. but to my question......

would it be possible for me to set up some sort of small "league" or long term tourney at the legion? i was thinking everbody being signed up by a certain date, then draw for your apponent and sign up for a playing time throughout the week with a race to five or whatever then the bartender for the evening could write down the winnder with both players aproval. i understand it would take a few weeks to finish but i was just wondering if you all thought it would work.

*by the way. ive been reading on here for about a week and really like what i see. glad to be a part of everything here.

Deeman
04-08-2003, 03:03 PM
Snook,

Welcome to the CCB. I think it would be great for you to start a weekly game league and have someone keep score. A league is much more involved and is more work than most people imagine. I would not have a league director's job for all the money in the world.

Maybe, if you just started out with a few people, like you mentioned, if interest was there, you could form a league with APA, BCA or one of the other groups later. You might even consider a small in-house tournament each week as that would be easier to run. Just get a bracket sheet and sign people up. You could just charge enough to cover the pool time and keep it simple. If you want to draw better players later, you could expand this as well when it becomes appropriate.

Good Luck....

KevinT
04-08-2003, 08:40 PM
Hi Snook,

I live in Marshall, Illinois, just across the state line from Terre Haute. Have you ever been to Imperial Lanes? I went there about a week and a half ago. They have one snooker table, several 9 foot tables, and a few 7 or 8 footers. Seems like a pretty nice place. There is a place hear in town, Monk's Place. They have a few snooker tables, some 9 foot tables, and a few 7 and 8 foot tables. It is only open Thursday through Sunday. I haven't been to any others places around here. Do you ever play anywhere in Terre Haute? Please let me know if you do.

Kevin

snook
04-08-2003, 08:49 PM
ive played at imperial, nice place. make sure you ask for a table on the left if your ever there, their reserved for the "veteraned" players and are in much better shape. my only problem is that its a half hour drive for me and i dont really want to do that every week on a week night. how far is the place wheere you live? i might try and come over one weekend

pooldaddy9
04-08-2003, 09:00 PM
Bout the way it is around here. That is why a few of us started our own game night. We have been playing a partner eightball ball game on Tues. nights since 1993. Amazing it has lasted this long. Of course it helps by firing up the BBQ grill when they come but it is worth it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

KevinT
04-08-2003, 09:15 PM
Marshall is about 40 miles from Sullivan, about 16 miles from Terre Haute. My dad used to work at a newspaper in Sullivan. He drove there every day. Also, I found it interesting that you have a snooker table in your basement. Most people would only have a pool table. Just thought that was interesting.

Kevin

snook
04-09-2003, 02:22 PM
i might bring some friend up sometime. yea the snooker table i have is the one tindall(if your familiar with sullivan) used to have in his upstairs room, he had that and a matching 8 foot regulation table. we play with regulation balls on our snooker table though, its pretty interesting. were selling it if you know anybody looking for one. its 3 piece slate its a brunswick gold crown first generation in great shape. i could use an estimate on what its worth though, thanks

ChrisW
04-09-2003, 03:18 PM
You could set up a "ladder challenge"

Start with a few guys, Whoever wins more game/matches is on top of the ladder.
Anybody can challenge anybody on the ladder and their name will be added to the ladder. So the more wins you get the higher up the ladder you go.

Or have a kind of a king of the hill thing where the top guy has to take challenges until someone knocks him down.

Just a few ideas
I really haven't tried either one so I don't exactly how they would work.

Chris

KevinT
04-09-2003, 09:12 PM
Hi Snook,

How much do you want for the table? I would like to have a snooker table, probably can't afford one. Someone on this board might have an idea what it is worth, or there is probably a price guide somewhere out there on the internet. Let me know!

Kevin

snook
04-12-2003, 08:05 AM
just make an offer

KevinT
04-12-2003, 09:40 AM
I don't know how much to offer. How much did you pay for it?

Kevin

snook
04-12-2003, 09:43 AM
well honestly i dont know what we paid for it, because it is my fathers, he told me he was wanting to sell it and buy a regulation sometime soon though. i will ask him what he paid when he gets home from work tonight. but i can tell you it was appraised by jay orner billiards (largest pool table company in indiana if not more) at at least 5 grand.

KevinT
04-12-2003, 09:47 AM
5 grand is too much for me. Thanks anyway. I figured I probably would not be able to afford it, but if it had been real cheap and I didn't ask I'd be kicking myself later.

Kevin