PDA

View Full Version : Holy Cow, Bluewolf on the move!!!!!!!

Kato
04-09-2003, 10:58 AM
Without even stopping to say goodbye /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif Bluewolf blew right by me in posting as she's now over 1900. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif All I can say is Tom Cincy, your days are numbered. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Kato~~~moving down the list.

SpiderMan
04-09-2003, 12:06 PM
I clicked on this thread expecting to read that Bluewolf had moved up to SL4!

SpiderMan

bluewolf
04-09-2003, 03:12 PM
I am worried about that sl4 coming sooner than I am ready, when the apa drops off my 10 worst matches. Two more and I will have 20. If it is true that they drop the ten worst, that gives me 9 wins out of 10. Being a three is fine because I can beat just about all of them. A few can beat me too if they play better that night. But the only fours I could beat in a dead even match are the cruddy ones that play like threes or just happen to be having a bad night.

Hopefully my innings will keep that from happening since they do not count the safes I make. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sorry, Kato, maybe I will slow down so you can beat me. Afterall, you are awfully cute. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

SpiderMan
04-09-2003, 04:13 PM
Don't worry BW, nothing groundshaking will happen when you finish match #20. I think when you get to 21 the oldest one is dropped. Only one match gets dropped each week thereafter.

The SLs may be based on the 10 best, but I think it is always the best out of the most recent 20, or however many you have played if less than 20. So the only way you will go up on week #20 will be if you are already on the edge and your match #20 is good enough to push out one of the lower ones from the average. 10 bad matches won't suddenly get dropped in one week.

That would explain how you can "go up" even after a losing night. Once you have 20, every time you play a new match an old one (from 20 matches back) gets dropped, regardless of how good or bad it was. So it is possible for you to play bad and go up if the old dropped match happened to be even worse than the one you just had.

Think about it, if what they did was drop the 10 worst, then after a few years they'd be using dozens and dozens of your matches, even those from back when you were a 2.

Similarly, if the 21st match back was the best you ever played, when it gets dropped you could in theory go down even if you just won.

BTW, I'm not sure the number is 10 out of 20, but I'm sure Scott Lee knows since he was an APA operator.

SpiderMan

bluewolf
04-09-2003, 06:56 PM
Ok thanks. There are so many rumors about how apa works. It is hard to tell. Sometimes they seem to do weird stuff but it probably just seems that way.

Laura

WaltVA
04-09-2003, 09:21 PM
BW, SpiderMan is correct, they hold your last 20 matches and your S/L is based on the best 10 of these, so you won't see an overnight change. Remember, a S/L is just a number to facilitate comparisons; it doesn't correlate directly to what you can do at the table. Just keep working on your game and don't worry about your S/L. When you do move up, your game will already be there for you. Good luck -

Walt in VA

TomBrooklyn
04-09-2003, 09:44 PM
For months you've been concerned the APA was holding your SL too low. Now your worried about them making it too high? Is your livelyhood dependent on your ranking, are you playing to have fun, or do you really enjoy analysing the ranking system of the APA?

Ever watch children playing games or sports in your local playground. How worried do they look whether they win or lose? Do you see any of them discussing their wins and loses for more than a few moments immediately after the game. They may celebrate a win or sulk for losing for a minute or two, and then what do they do. They start another game. Children are experts at having fun, more expert than adults.

There will be a loser every game. Every game. Thats a lot of losers. There is a 50% chance of losing every time one starts a game, all things being equal. The better the player, the more games they will have lost, simply because they have played more games. The will go their whole life losing about 40-60% of their games, because the better they get, better the opponents they will match up with. If they win much more than that over the long haul, they are not playing opponents that provide them with a challenge. If they lose much more than that, they are playing over their heads all the time. The most fun and excitement occurs when both sides are almost evenly matched.

Your ranking is only a mechanism to make the matchups more even so both players have a chance to win. Play more pool. As soon as you finish a game, start another one. Children play so many games they don't have time to remember to keep track of their wins and loses for more than a few minutes. Take a tip from the experts.

Wally_in_Cincy
04-10-2003, 06:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr>

....Being a three is fine because I can beat just about all of them.....

the only fours I could beat in a dead even match are the cruddy ones that play like threes ......<hr /></blockquote>

If you get much better you'll be on all fours

ww might like that.

HTH

Wally in the Natti~~a dog person