PDA

View Full Version : rule question

Geoff
04-09-2003, 12:22 PM
could someone explain "push out" to me? When is this legal, what is the purpose, etc. There is a guy that I see in the local room and he will call a push out on any ball he cant see clean when we are playing. I am not completely familiar with this apsect of the game. Also, I have been told it is legal to push out only on the 1 after the break?? Are there different rules on this? What is the most commonly accepted rule? Thanks guys.

ChrisW
04-09-2003, 12:31 PM
Most common with Texas Express 9-ball

First shot after the break.
incomming player has option to shoot or pass.

The only thing close to this type of rule is in a ring game.
Here there is no ball in hand.
If a player fouls then the incomming player has option to shoot or pass it back to the one who fouled.

Chris

UWPoolGod
04-09-2003, 12:32 PM
You can only push out after the the break...if you made a ball and don't like the shot on the lowest numbered ball, or if your opponent broke, did not make a ball and you don't like the lay of the lowest ball on the table. It doesn't matter what you do besides scratch. You can pocket a ball, tie some up, break some up, tap it to a rail, nub it. As long as you don't foul.
I have played some players who call a push and then hit the cue ball with the side of their shaft left or right, so I call a foul on them.

Rod
04-09-2003, 12:43 PM
Today you can push out after the break. By the old rules you could push out on any ball. The gent your playing is playing by older rules. Of course you can play that way it's just different rules. It is more common to see this in a gambling game, though now you rarely see it played that way. I'm not sure of the year when it was changed, maybe someone else knows.

Rod

Carlton31698
04-09-2003, 01:01 PM
Did the rule change to speed up 9-ball for TV?

Rod
04-09-2003, 01:23 PM
Well don't quote me but I believe that was one reason, maybe the best one. 14-1 was dropped I'm sure for the same reason. No one wanted to watch the Miz, Segal or whomever run a hunderd or so. I guess it was to boring and was dropped by lack of sponsors. Question is would anyone watch it now? Probably not except for the die hard pool fans.

Rod

Ken
04-09-2003, 04:16 PM
Rod, One of the problems with straight pool is that it's more interesting if you pay attention. If you know the length of the run the shooter is on, the approximate score so you know what the shooter needs to get out, how close the opponent is to getting out. You can't just sit down and tell the status of the game unless a ref. is calling out scores and runs. With nine ball you can pick up on the status of a game at a glance so you don't need to pay attention. Often the score is on a wire and you can determine that also.

You just can't put something on TV that requires paying attention. Too many people are not capable of it or just won't do it and they will get bored easily.
KenCT

Rod
04-09-2003, 04:59 PM
Ken,
That's why I said die hard players or maybe should have said die hard older players.LOL Pay attention, yes that's asking a lot. If someone turns the tv onto pool with the great world 14-1 champions I thought it should have their attention. You find out the score at the end of each rack just like 9 ball. I can think of a couple more, the game looks to easy and it definately takes to much time for tv.
I can see it now, we've skipped ahead in this match due to time constraints. Someone runs the last 11 balls and it's over. If they cut it up I wouldn't enjoy very much, just like they cut up the 9 ball matches sometimes. Oh well just blowing a little smoke, this game will be lucky to get out of the stone ages.

Rod

Alfie
04-09-2003, 07:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Geoff:</font><hr> could someone explain "push out" to me? <hr /></blockquote>http://www.wpa-pool.com/rules/rules5.htm
5.6 PUSH OUT