PDA

View Full Version : suggestions needed

marek
04-10-2003, 06:07 AM
Hi people!
Its been a while since my last post. I have been so busy that I just couldnt find free time to post. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif
First I have my results from nationals here for those who watch my progress. So I finished 5th in 8-ball and straight pool and 15th in 9ball. Considering circumstances (illness-flu) I was quite happy with the results but it could have been much better if I was ok. But its life...sometimes you get all the rolls, sometimes you dont... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Second I would like to ask for advice on the decision I have to make about my progress. I think I can say I have become a serious student to the game of pool. And one thing that I found is that my technique is not the perfect one. There are probably little errors in my stance but they dont bother me much as they dont seem to cause me many problems. But I think that I have semi-serious flaw in my grip as it seems that my wrist tends to be twisted little outwards. I tried to correct it by twisting my wrist little inwards and it helped but another problem arose. I had to think about that damn wrist all the time, the moment I forgot to twist the wrist it returned to original position. I practiced for 4 weeks to make it work but without success. Generally I lost my stroke consistency. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif So I tried to go back but it didnt work neither, it went just worse. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif Then I tried to move my elbow closer to my body so the cue goes directly under my left breast (I am lefthanded) and it worked just fine. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif So FINALLY here is my question: is it wise to go for TOTAL perfection in technique and spend my practice time mainly on perfect basics for some 6 months or is it better to accept the imperfection and spend my practice time on other areas of my game like position and pattern drills? The fact is that the grip error I mentioned above doesnt hurt my game much. It gives me trouble mainly after occasional training pause (2-3 days-mostly weekends) when it takes me some 200 straight-in shots to get in good shape again. Also I suspect this error may cause me problems when breaking as the break needs much harder stroke (hard stroke=magnified error) /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Any opinion on this problem is welcome!

ChrisW
04-10-2003, 07:23 AM
I doubt anybody really has the "perfect technique".
Many people may have a technique that is close to perfect for themself but won't work for everybody.
So it seems you may want to pick and chose which flaws need to be fixed and which don't.
If you see something you are doing that doesn't effect the outcome maybe it is just natural for you to do it that way.
Of course there is always some technigue that you can work on that will improve your game the trick is deciding which one.
I believe in, working on 1 technique problem that does effect my game while still working on all table skills. Once I feel I have mastered that technique I will go on to the next.

good luck
Chris

Ralph S.
04-10-2003, 08:05 AM
Marek, try gripping the cue not so tightly. You dont need a death grip on it. As far as your question about practicing your stroke and grip, yes, do so. It is one of the most important parts of how your over-all game will be. Also, congrats on the tourney, it looks like you done good.

marek
04-10-2003, 08:16 AM
I have done that (loosing the grip) long time ago....improved my draw shots tremendously /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Thx for advice anyway!

marek
04-10-2003, 10:43 AM
You are probably right.....nobodys perfect....we are not machines! ok! I ll crush my opponents with not-so-perfect technique anyway!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran Crimi
04-10-2003, 11:14 AM
Hi Marek,

It's nice to see someone with so much positive enthusiasm for the game as yourself. It's tough to stay positive through the tough times and I see that you are doing an excellent job of that.

As for your question, you don't have to have perfect fundamentals, but you do have to fix the big problems if you want to bring your game to the next level.

Your wrist twisting outward is an indication of a side-arm type stroke. I've seen players use this technique who start as young children who can't reach the table and must adjust their stroke to compensate for their lack of height. Other people just somehow develop this on their own without really being aware that they're doing it and for no particular reason.

It's hard to tell without seeing you shoot, and it may or may not hurt your progress. If you've been trying to address it, I suspect that you're instincts are telling you that it is hindering your progress. Go with your instincts.

I also suspect that the reason you may be having so much trouble breaking the habit is because you built your stance around it. By hanging your wrist straight down, you have now changed your cue position at the table. If you make the adjustment after you get into your stance, you are probably out of alignment with the shot.

It sounds like you're thinking about your body position at the table and that's a good sign, but you're not quite there yet. You're going to have to find a new approach into your shot that accommodates your new cue position and it has to start when you take your first step into your shot.

If you find the right foot position that accommodates a straight wrist, then you'll be automatically alligned to a straight wrist position.

So, my advice to you is to focus on your feet. Spend some time on how to step into your shot and where to plant your feet.

Good luck and keep the faith.

Fran

Rod
04-10-2003, 01:59 PM
Marek,
I think Fran gave you some very good advice. It's hard if not impossible to have good alignment if you adjust at the table. Most always I've found players conform much faster buy this method. As Fran mentions your stance is built around the cue and how it's held. Do you have access to a video cam? It's good to have visual feedback, you may make some little moves your not aware of.

Nothing more to add except from reading your past and present posts you have a great attitude and that alone is worth it's weight in gold. Keep up the progress, were going to hear about you winning a National Championship in the future!

Rod

HOWARD
04-10-2003, 05:31 PM
Marek,

If you can lay your hands on a hand held camera - while stroking be filming - put it in the vcr - dvd whatever - the
look may do the trick. At least you will not be trying to fix it by feel.

Howard

marek
04-11-2003, 04:49 AM
Hi Fran!
I feel really honored by the fact that you are trying to help me. In my country there are no pool teachers as pool is quite young sport here (10 years) so it is really amazing for me to get the advice from one of the best teachers in the world... /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif You are right that my instinct is telling me that the wrist may be the problem. The real problem is that my stroke is generally good enough to hide the ill-effect of the twisted wrist! I feel only occasionally that it can actually cause a slowdown in my progress. And you say that I have built my stance around it.....hmmm....that makes sense and finally it gives me the answer why it was so hard to make the change! Ok, I ll work on my stance and my foot position and hopefully I ll find that right position for me!
Thank you very much Fran!

marek
04-11-2003, 04:52 AM
Good advice Rod!
I ll try that cam.
Thx!

marek
04-11-2003, 04:55 AM
I ll see myself shooting.........oh no...what embarassing look!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Thx!

bluewolf
04-11-2003, 07:41 AM
I had the wrist turned out problem. I tried all sorts of things to fix it. Then one day, like a flash of lightning, I realized it was an alignment problem. Once I fixed the alignment, it never bothered me again.

Laura

Alfie
04-11-2003, 10:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> I had the wrist turned out problem. I tried all sorts of things to fix it. Then one day, like a flash of lightning, I realized it was an alignment problem. Once I fixed the alignment, it never bothered me again. <hr /></blockquote> How did you fix the alignment?