PDA

View Full Version : US Army Competition Billiards

9 Ball Girl
04-10-2003, 08:04 AM
Straight off of the AzBilliards site:

US ARMY Competition Billiards Team needs your help
The Cadets at The United States Military Academy at West Point are in the process of organizing an ARMY Competition Billiards Team. The team is the first of its kind at the Academy, so they are starting from scratch on just about every aspect. One area they are in particular need of help is acquiring sponsorships and or donations of equipment. The tables/cues that the academy has are few and nearly unusable. West Point and the Team would greatly appreciate any advice or help anyone can give us. Please contact Cadet Carmelo Colon III with any information and/or questions you may have.

DSAPOLIS
04-10-2003, 11:33 AM
As a former Military (US ARMY) champion, I can tell you with certainty that they (U.S Military Academy at West Point)can get their own stuff. This problem has been addressed before regarding the military competition system, and there are imaginary lines between The U.S. Military Academy at West Point, The United States Army, and the NCAA and all rules need to be followed carefully. BTW, whatever happened to having a good old fashioned car wash as a fundraiser? West Point has always puzzled me in this area. The Point has more than enough funds to purchase the material themselves, yet they want donations? I recently donated tables to Senior Citizen centers here in El Paso, and I feel that if items are to be donated, they should go to those who cannot afford to purchase them on their own, like rec centers for kids, senior citizens centers, retirement homes, Ronald McDonald House, etc. This is not to attack 9ballgirl, I'm just pointing out that there are ways that they can finance this themselves, and they already know that and stick their hand out anyway. Yet, the equipment that will be replaced will remain in their system (either financially, or accounted for as an asset)when the guys in the old soldier's home are playing checkers and gin rummy. Before I donated my tables, I did my homework, and believe me, as a veteran I wanted to help out the soldiers at Ft. Bliss here in El Paso, if I could. Fact is, they (the military)are well taken care of, even the cadets at West Point. They just have to convince the people in charge that the purchase of the equipment is justified, and the fact that we are discussing this here proves that they haven't done that. Usually, that means that there is a good reason why the purchase of the equipments/materials has been denied. As far as sponsorship, they need to follow proper guidelines or they will be in trouble before this program even gets off the ground. How do you get in contact with Cadet Colon? There are other avenues they can take in getting this equipment without spending a dime.

9 Ball Girl
04-10-2003, 11:35 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif Oh, I did not know that. But I'm definitely in favor of a good old fashioned car wash. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rich R.
04-10-2003, 11:57 AM
Blackjack, I don't know much about West Point, but I do not live too far away from the Naval Academy in Annapolis and I have visited many times. Based on what I've seen at the Naval Academy, I am inclined to believe every word you have written.
Also, keep in mind, these are not normal college students, struggling to make ends meet. They are all receiving a military salary while they are attending school.

cycopath
04-10-2003, 12:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DSAPOLIS:</font><hr>I feel that if items are to be donated, they should go to those who cannot afford to purchase them on their own, like rec centers for kids, senior citizens centers, retirement homes, Ronald McDonald House, etc.<hr /></blockquote>Or me? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

fast_eddie_B
04-11-2003, 02:51 AM
US Army Champion? Since when does the army have a billiard team? This i do not believe.

~go far play fargo~

fast_eddie_B
04-11-2003, 02:56 AM
As far as the prissy west point wanna be butter bars are concerned, I could give a rat if they need equipment. the us army does only two things good and they are occupy and maintain. not sports (for god's sake we couldn't even beat navy).

~go far play fargo~