PDA

View Full Version : Barringer Jump/Break Tips

04-10-2003, 02:25 PM
I ran across this on ebay. Has anyone tried these custom jump/break tips? If they're as good as the testimonial makes them sound, then they look pretty sweet. Custom B/J Tip on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3602916532&category=21 210)

Rod
04-10-2003, 04:21 PM
I haven't tried one so I have no comment. The testimonial sounds like the adds on The Golf Channel though. Old joe pounds one deep testing a driver and says, wow this is amazing. I'm going to throw away my old driver, which in fact is a new TI Taylor Made! LOL All the others testing have similar, somewhat dumb sayings.

I'm fairly sure these or similar tips are "hot". Meaning the c/b leaves the tip somewhat faster. Is it as accurate?

The question I have (for our Physics guys ) is how much faster can the c/b leave? Because it leaves the tip faster does that mean it actually travels faster? I know you would need more info on materials speed etc. Are we talking 1 or two mph?

Another thing that bugs me, other that the fact they may not stay on that long, is the word HIT. It encompasses that word and meaning into the break hit/stroke. Most likely anyone with such tip is interested in power but the sacrifice of power is always accuracy. The only way I'd be interested is if I could take a little off my already slowed break and still have the same speed. Just rambling

~~~ rod, not interested in absolute power

SpiderMan
04-10-2003, 04:43 PM
Rod,

I think the key to most of these specialty tips is to minimize dissipated energy. They tend to do it by making the tips harder and harder, so that they do not deform when they hit the ball.

A tradeoff seems to be miscues. As the tip deforms/conforms less and contact times get shorter, plus the hard slick surface doesn't hold chalk as well, I notice more and more "chatter" and miscues.

One pretty decent compromise that I have personally tried is the bakelite tip as supplied on the Lucasi jump cue. It's rock-hard, but the fibers that terminate at the crown seem to provide some chalking ability. Sid V and I put one on his Stealth jump cue, with excellent results. I've not tried one on a break cue.

Anyway, the break/jump tips on Barringer's web site appear to be made of the same material as the Lucasi tips, but Hawley's charges $20.00 for a Lucasi tip and Barringer's only wants $7.50 for their own.

SpiderMan

Sid_Vicious
04-10-2003, 05:11 PM
Once I can be sure that the quality control of the Barringers $7.50 tips are Ok, I'm still curious enough to get one and put it on my break stick, and see what it breaks like...sid~~~you know me, I'll try playing with it just because it's hard

Rod
04-10-2003, 05:16 PM
Thanks Spidey,
I understand the concept and know holding chalk is limited. I was looking for c/b speed related to cue speed given the hardness of a material. So far I know of nothing they claim by controled tests that proves increased ball speed. Although it should, that's all it means, it should. Now if thats only a mph or two then I hardly feel it's worth the trade off. I can get an extra 2 mph if I wanted, just use a firmer stroke. But then there could be a trade off. A jump cue is different and the effect should be easier to test and see.

Rod

Rod
04-10-2003, 05:18 PM
Well just make sure that elbow is in prime condition. LOL

Sid_Vicious
04-10-2003, 05:36 PM
That thing's got me retro-fitting my Goldwing, putting on foam grips and cruise controls, anything I can think of to take the abuse away from my tendons on that side. I'll be ready for that tip sometime after everyone gets back from Las Vegas...sid

SpiderMan
04-10-2003, 08:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I'll be ready for that tip sometime after everyone gets back from Las Vegas...sid <hr /></blockquote>

"Everyone" means you too, Rod. Got a map yet?

SpiderMan