PDA

View Full Version : Ferrules: Performance Comparisons And Contrasts

TomBrooklyn
03-23-2002, 02:42 AM
Is there a list of available ferrule types with a comparison of their properties and performance attributes anywhere?

Tom_In_Cincy
03-23-2002, 12:59 PM
"FERRULE - The ferrule fortifies the tip area of the shaft and reduces impact vibration. It is tapped, threaded and glued onto the end of the shaft, then turned down to match the shaft size. Ferrules come in two basic design; cap, and thru. Cap ferrules cover the end of the tenon, while thru ferrules are completely hollow, allowing the wood tenon to make contact with the tip. Ivory is often used for the ferrule on high-end cues, yet linen-based phenolic resins and plastics are also common. The design, physical property, and length of the ferrule effect the laying characteristics of each cue"

cheesemouse
03-23-2002, 01:16 PM
Tom_In_Cincy,
I understand you are serious about your pool, pool equiptment, the integrity of the game and I think that is wonderful and needed but would you do me a favor.....write me a Haikus /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif http://www.animation-station.com/animatedgifs2/anim3086.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
03-23-2002, 01:20 PM
NO WAY, Never, not in a million years

cheesemouse
03-23-2002, 01:24 PM
Tom,
I have a brother who is an engineer and I have trouble finding his funny bone too... Just having some fun on a beatiful day. Nothing personal.

Tom_In_Cincy
03-23-2002, 01:29 PM
Not a problem.. I have younger brothers that always try to get one up on me.. and they succeed too many times. I guess I am use to it by now..

TonyM
03-23-2002, 04:27 PM
Tom, I published an article on ferrules for Chalk and cue magazine some months ago. All of the information that you want was there. Contact Sherri Richardson at cnc@netcom.ca

She might have a copy of that issue for you. If not, I might be able to E-mail you a copy.

Regards,

Tony

TomBrooklyn
03-30-2002, 01:13 AM
Tony, Thanks for the tip on the ferrules. I emailed a request to Sherri for a copy of that article today.

In the meantime, are there any particular ferrules recommended for break-jump cues. Conversely, are there any to avoid for that application? I will be trying a phenolic tip at this time; but want something good for a very hard leather tip also.

TonyM
03-30-2002, 01:46 AM
"In the meantime, are there any particular ferrules recommended for break-jump cues. Conversely, are there any to avoid for that application? I will be trying a phenolic tip at this time; but want something good for a very hard leather tip also."

For jumping only, I think that you want a very hard ferrule, and probably you want to add some mass also. So a melaimine ferrule, capped with a thick wall would be good. Or even a metal ferrule. For breaking, you want a ferrule that can withstand the impact. Melamine is not the best for this. Linen phenolic is o.k., so is Micarta. The basic fiber ferrules used on Dufferin house cues are basically indestructable (but they can mushroom, and swell with moisture). Aegis is not bad for a break ferrule. I've long thought that a brass ferrule would work well for a break cue.

Normally I'd say avoid Ivory (it can be brittle, especially with a phenolic tip).

For breaking you want toughness, while for jumping you want hardness (or stiffness). Metal seems like the best compromise to me.

Tony

TommyT
03-30-2002, 12:30 PM
My break cue has a cueball ferrule. It hits like a sledgehammer and plays similiar to ivory. Bob Dzuricky of DZ cues did a great job.
TommyT