PDA

View Full Version : Tryng to master knowledge to mechanics!

CarolNYC
04-13-2003, 03:23 AM
When you know the knowledge but have not yet mastered the mechanics, do you shoot with what you know is right?
For instance, on my league you can call upon help 3x in a match-the first time, my team coach(Tony Robles)stands beside me and listens to what Im thinking-if its correct, he'll say"thats the shot!"Thats all good because then I know Im thinking correctly!
The next time I call upon him, I tell him what Im thinking and its just impossible-UGH!He tells me snap that 4 ball in and come around 2 cushions for the 5-heres the layout-the one ball is the 9ball cause I lost it somehow setting it up!
START(
%Ar3P7%BL7P8%CJ5O4%De8L5%Ef2Y9%Fk8E0%Gh5J0%HL2N7%J K0Q2%KJ5P7
%LJ5Q0%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5P0%PF7K4%Us2Z7%Vf5M4%Wg5D2%X f0K0%Ys2J7
%Zg8D1
)END
The 4 ball splits the pocket like it had eyes,cueball goes two rails to get on the 5 and then I miss the damn 5ball!OMG!
I second guessed what I knew was right and said the totally wrong thing, so the question is"Do you go with what you KNOW is right?"
Carol~was definitely NOT in the nothing zone!

TomBrooklyn
04-13-2003, 04:02 AM
Wei Table (http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html)

Tom_In_Cincy
04-13-2003, 07:44 AM
Carol,

Its always a good idea for the experienced player to go with the first impression. But, there are times that hindsight will tell you different. Checking out the lay of the table, considering all the alternatives (make the ball, shape, or play safe and which way to play safe)is always the first thing I do. Sometimes I focus so hard on just one aspect (making the ball) I over look a dead combo on the nine or that easy safe.

Its just one of those things about this game that keeps your intreset and makes you want to play again. Don't get to hung up on it and just use it as a learning experience.

That was one great cut on the 4 ball and to get shape on the 5 was a huge bonus.

BTW.. the 9 ball was hidden in the group of balls you left in the rack area.

jjinfla
04-13-2003, 07:31 PM
Carol, You didn't tell us what shot you were thinking of trying. The 9 ball is off the table at the bottom by the middle diamond on my wei. Jake

CarolNYC
04-14-2003, 03:19 AM
Hey Tom,
Thanks-I will definitely use it as a learning experience!:)
The fact was, my opponent left me this table, I looked at it and questioned my ability to cut the 4-ball, so when I called upon "coach" I sugggested playing safe by kicking 4-ball back up table and bring cueball behind 6-ball, which was IMPOSSIBLE,ha ha ha,because I didnt have enough angle and wouldve either doublekissed 4 ball and left it open or kissed off 7-ball UGH!If your reading this Jake, thats what I was thinking!:)
I wasnt confident with the shot until I was told to "snap it in!" ha ha ha-Tom, I will chalk it up-from here on in,Im taking the shot -whats the worse that could happen,I miss,right?:)
Thank you! Have a great day!
Carol~could use a set of earplugs connected to a coach,ha ha ha ha!

CarolNYC
04-14-2003, 03:24 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Thanks Tom,
I dont know whats up with my "wei" table-it had snow,now no snow,good heavens!:):)Its gotta be the mouse!I'll have to talk to Wei!
Carol:)

Popcorn
04-14-2003, 09:57 AM
There are sort of rules you learn to play by, Don't get straight in, stay off the rails and so on. But often the right of wrong of a shot may be decided on the spot depending how you feel at the time and rules go out the window. What is right at one time, may not be right at another. Hind sight is not always a good indicator either. You could do the worst thing and have it work out and get burnt by a good decision, good or bad results can can fool you. The main thing as you become a better player, is a good sense of yourself. Try playing with side bettors, sometime. When things work you are a genius, when the don't you are an idiot, in their eyes anyway, actually league play may be like that. I don't play on leagues, but I bet it takes a thick skin to play on a league sometimes.

Eric.
04-14-2003, 10:50 AM
IMO, I try to make a realistic decision i.e.:

Is the shot riskier than the safe?

What is the consequece/table lay if I miss(will I sellout or get a good 2 way shot)?

What is my ability to make the shot?

How is my shot making today?

The first 2 choices should be the same, always, the second 2 can vary from time to time. That is where I think that knowledge and ability might be a problem. I think that knowing the shot and knowing your ability to execute it on that day is the key.

I'm sure some others here may have more suggestions, these are just a few that work for me.

Eric >decisions, decisions

CarolNYC
04-14-2003, 02:48 PM
Hey Eric,
Thats it-Im not watching Winnie the pooh no more who always "think,think,thinks!" ha ha ha-honestly, I feel devastated when I lose on my team(others rely upon you)I mean, I will give 110% but,-I think Im cut out to play individually-I dont know how to handle the mentality-all I can do is give it my best!
I just have to applaud ANYONE who is a teammember! Way to go!
Carol~will have to watch inspector gadget!:):):)

CarolNYC
04-14-2003, 02:52 PM
Hey there,
"thick skinned league players"-Absolutely-and I will remember your words"good sense of yourself"!
Thank you very much!
Carol~remembers!:):):)

Rod
04-14-2003, 03:21 PM
Hi Carol,
Yes I think Mr Gaget is the answer. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif looking at your diagram, if you can make the c/b do the thing it's doing there then you don't need any help! LOL I know I'd hit the 7 if not then the 6. You must be a magician. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

~~~ rod thinks Carol's drawing might be a little off

DSAPOLIS
04-14-2003, 05:04 PM
My response is assuming you are playing 9 ball as the situation on the table, and your question is very unclear. You don't say what game you are playing.

My advice would depend on YOUR confidence level with this type of shot. I penned a writing entitled When to Play Safe where I go into this subject of making a decision. From the lay of your table, I cam up with the solution of merely send the 4 ball under the 5 ball and placing the cue ball on top of the 6. This is a diagram of what he comes to shoot at.

Wei 9 ball Egg (http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/9egg/)

START(
%Dh5Y8%Ef2Y9%Fk8E0%Gh5J0%HL2N7%Ir2O9%Pi3C9

)END

Here is a diagram of the route and how easy this is to perform.

START(
%De8L5%Ef2Y9%Fk8E0%Gh5J0%HL2N7%Ir0P5%PF7K4%Us0S9%V f5L9%We0L0
%XG3K4%Yh6D7%Ze3K5%[m9X8%\s4T6
)END

All you have to do is hit the four at the right angle and kill the cue ball on the rail. Even though this is not a complete lock up, the direction he is kicking the 4 ball in will be AWAY from the nearest pocket (an insider safety secret). Even if the cue ball comes out too far, he will not have a shot at putting the 4 ball in that corner pocket. He'll either be kicking the 4 ball into the 5 ball (thus breaking up the cluster) or they will have to hit the 4 ball off the rail, either banking it, or returning a safety. Either way, you guarantee yourself a return to the table, unless he makes a stab in the dark Hail Mary shot. If you were playing 8 ball, ignore what I just wrote. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarolNYC
04-15-2003, 03:58 AM
I like those layouts-Thank you!
And yes,indeed it was 9-ball-even if it wasnt, I wouldnt ignore what you write!:):)
Im sure I'll come upon this pattern again,someday,and I'll remember this safe move!
Have a great day!
Carol

CarolNYC
04-15-2003, 04:04 AM
Hi Rod,
Ha ha ha-why do you think I missed the damn 5-ball? My adrenaline was so high that I made the 4,ha ha ha ha-(believe me, the last thing I need is adrenaline!)definitely a kodak moment LMAO!
Carol~checking times for Gadget!:):):) Stay well!

DSAPOLIS
04-15-2003, 08:41 AM
BTW Carol,
Nice shot on the 4 ball. I think it is important to point out the different in my style of play compared with Tony's advice. In that situation, I'd have seen the lock up forts, and probably would have stuck with it as it was easy to execute. In the same situation, Tony would have gone for the 4 ball and risked the two rail position (gutsy move). Myself, I like to wear down my opponents with safeties, combined with offense. In this situation, my reasoning is that if I missed the 4 ball or ran into the 6 or 7, I'd have given the game back to my opponent. In the same situation, Tony would "have to go for the shot." He's just that type of fighter. It's an interesting contrast in styles, but both work for us individually, proving that in most situations, there is more than one right answer. Also, I have some tips that can enable you to make that 5 ball the next time, Choker!!!!LOL

Steve Lipsky
04-15-2003, 09:04 AM
I was wondering if anyone could do a test on the "old" WEI table vs. the "egg" table.

When I opened Carol's diagram on the egg table (the only one my home computer can access, for some reason), it looked like the shot shown was breaking about 50 laws of physics /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif. (You know I love you Carol!) But I'm wondering if maybe the shot is showing differently on the smaller scale table?

Thanks,
Steve

Rod
04-15-2003, 09:22 AM
Steve,
It looks the same on both tables. Read my post below if you choose. I said if she can do that with the c/b, she doesn't need any help! LOL Rod thinks Carol ( luv you gal) had a lttle problem with the diagram. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CarolNYC
04-16-2003, 03:19 AM
START(
%AJ2Q7%BK1Q8%CJ2Q1%De3L1%Eg3Y0%Fm6D7%Gg9J4%HJ2Q5%I q6S6%JJ7Q4
%KJ5P7%LJ2R3%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OI9R5%PH3J8%Ui0D7%Ve6J6%W s8[1%Xf0L9
%[r3K2%\j1D5%]m5V3%^r3L8
)END
Hey Steve,
I set it up on my table as best I could,AGAIN, and hope you can see it better! The shot was "low-left hard!
love you right back!
Carol:):):)

CarolNYC
04-16-2003, 03:26 AM
Absolutely,
UGH-choked,jumped up,stroked with total stiffness-you name it, I did it on the 5-OMG-ha ha ha ha ha-(you would have thought I didnt know how to play),ha ha ha ha-Im going to have to start counting,1-1000,2-1000,3-1000...........ha ha ha,before the next shot and just CALM DOWN!
Thank you-you stay well!
Carol~just gonna chill:)