PDA

View Full Version : League Homes, Alcohol Specials And Fun Factor

Sid_Vicious
04-13-2003, 10:15 AM
We've run smoking down the road a lot here, and rightfully so since it leaks into everyone's lungs, but what about drinking? I remember the most fun leagues back in my early days were the ones which had league specials for the bar. Now it seems that leagues get almost no incentives to "party" while they play league. The beer buckets are not specially priced anymore on league nights, and frankly I find this has, in part stifled some of the relaxed fun factor. I may sound like a degenerate, but I think that your league nights SHOULD have an atmosphere of kick-back. In fact I'll go as far as saying that I feel the lack of management to spur fun by not having league specials is a detriment to the livelihood and growth of league involvement. Many starting teams find it a little tough to pay $3 a pop for beer plus the league dues, and many of those players are having their one night out with the guys/gals,,,cuttin' loose a little with drinks, I truly believe aids and furthers new team development. sid~~~on the wagon presently, so no personal reasons here with this post

Tom_In_Cincy
04-13-2003, 10:21 AM
So Sid... does your drinking team have a pool problem? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sid_Vicious
04-13-2003, 10:30 AM
Yea yea that's it. Evil pool, BAD evil pool! ;-) sid

Kato
04-13-2003, 10:38 AM
Mine do /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato

Rod
04-13-2003, 11:11 AM
I've found many league players leave after their match. DUI is always a thought unless they have a designated driver. If rooms did offer specials to teams they might stay longer. That goes along with your thoughts some what.

3 bucks a bottle is a steep price to pay IMO. Our beers were $2.25 and they still are in most places around here. What we did is give every player on both teams 1 free drink. It had to be the same as their paid drinks. League players sure can't be in it for the money so what else is there but fun! LOL Come to think of it I haven't had a drink in three weeks maybe more. On another note I haven't hit a ball in same such time. I need to get out more. LOL

Rod

dg-in-centralpa
04-13-2003, 01:03 PM
Both leagues I play in give a free drink to each shooter. One league I sub for, gives us $20 to buy drinks for us as well as the other team. Sometimes we get pretzels or peanuts. When we're done shooting for the night, we usually end up playing 3 ball plus the punchboards, and get some of the other team involved.

stickman
04-13-2003, 03:39 PM
I normally have a few beers on league night, but I don't drink like I did several years ago, when I played on the funnest and best team I ever played on. Our sponsor bought us a few rounds when we played at home. When we got together, it was definately boy's night out. LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif It was all about kicking back and having fun, yet we still wasted the local competition, while we got wasted ourselves. I haven't played on a team like that since, and no one buys rounds for us. It's probably a good thing. I'm getting to old to carry on like that. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

bluewolf
04-13-2003, 05:52 PM
They don't have alcohol specials at our league. There is an APA burger, though, which is half price. We generally drink ice tea because that is free. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

If you get on a team that is good here(ie, captain knows the players well, and has good strategy on put ups), we have 9ft brunswick gold crown's and we play at the same pool hall everynight. And for you non-smokers, there is a very large non-smoking section.

Laura

04-14-2003, 03:56 PM
$4 pitchers and $2 bottles for my Tuesday night team. Can't beat it.

It's probably because the owner knows that the two teams in there make up half of the clientell on Tuesday's.