PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Chalkers Billiards?

bell
04-13-2003, 04:06 PM
Chalkers Billiards, an upscale room in the financial district of San Francisco has vanished. A once bueatiful room and home of pro Billy Aguero, is gone although the web site remains which cost me a long trip from LA to SF to find out. Anybody know what is happening?

L.S. Dennis
04-13-2003, 06:15 PM
Yes, what's happening is that it went out of business. I think while they were in the process of shutting the place down there was some story of them "just remodeling" but in the end they just shut down.

If I'm not mistaken Billy Aguerro went north to Cotati and is involved in running an 8-ball league although I could be mistaken about that.

You're right it was a beautiful billiard room but just could not cut it in San Francisco despite all the corporate parties they did.

Now San Francisco is down to the three billiard rooms of any consequence. And one of those recently lost their lease and is on a month to month basis at the moment. Non of the players go to that one anymore anyway!

bell
04-13-2003, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the response. I am really sorry to see Chalkers bite the dust. I guess the happening place is across the bay at Felts in San Ramon.

L.S. Dennis
04-14-2003, 08:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bell:</font><hr> Thanks for the response. I am really sorry to see Chalkers bite the dust. I guess the happening place is across the bay at Felts in San Ramon. <hr /></blockquote>

Bell,

Probably the "happening place" in San Francisco is still Family Billiards over on Geary street. It's the place that all the road players come to when passing through town. I've seen Corey Deuel there as well as Fabio Petroni.

There's also Hollywood Billiard which was the old Cue Club during the Tony Annigoni days which was the old Cochran's billiards years ago. Lots of history in them walls, unfortunately you have to pack an AK-47 just to get near the joint!

Eric.
04-14-2003, 09:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote L.S. Dennis:</font><hr>

There's also Hollywood Billiard which was the old Cue Club during the Tony Annigoni days which was the old Cochran's billiards years ago. Lots of history in them walls, unfortunately you have to pack an AK-47 just to get near the joint! <hr /></blockquote>

Just because you have bums sleeping by the fenced lot next door doesn't make it a bad place /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif (sorry, I forgot that S.F. isn't NYC)

Eric

Wally_in_Cincy
04-14-2003, 10:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote L.S. Dennis:</font><hr>

....You're right it was a beautiful billiard room but just could not cut it in San Francisco despite all the corporate parties they did.....<hr /></blockquote>

Well somebody was making some money because the owner of that place was a well known collector of high-end cues. Unless she was wealthy already before owning Chalkers.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

PQQLK9
04-14-2003, 10:30 AM
Yes it was a beautiful room but they would not admit my daughter who was 12 at the time (she was with her mother and me).Oh well she enjoyed touring Alcatraz Island.
Sue Bachman was the owner or managing partner and used to write a monthly article for BD on how to operate Pool Rooms.I always enjoyed her articles but when I met her at a tournament in Charlotte and mentioned to her that I had just played at her room the previous night I barely got a hello from her. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Eric.
04-14-2003, 10:36 AM
I don't know the whole story but I do know that rent in the Rincon Center or was it called Renaissance, is not cheap! It was a nice place, though. The paintings, the long tapestry(sp?) drapes, nice. Almost too nice.

Eric

UWPoolGod
04-14-2003, 10:50 AM
but I do know that rent in the Rincon Center or was it called Renaissance, is not cheap! &lt;-- Eric

Yeah that was the same reason the 211 club in Seattle closed down. High rent, and lack of parking downtown killed their customer base. They also didn't play loud music for the casual players to enjoy going there. It was 21/over, I started going there when I was 19. It was a pool players paradise. The only lights on in the place were at the desk and the table lights...all you could hear was pool balls being hit. A true classic of an old time, dark pool hall. Man I miss that place.

Photoguy
04-14-2003, 03:29 PM
I would imagine that the not admitting your 12 year old daughter had to do with what type of Liquor license Chalkers had . . . As far as Sue goes, I agree with you. For somebody who wrote a regular article about the billiard business, she knew nothing about customer service. The best thing about that club was Billy Aguero. I took many group and private lessons from Billy, bought many items from her pro shop, played there regularly and whenever I saw her, she acted like she had never seen me before. . . Billy is apparently involved with Buffalo Billiards in Cotati. To what capacity, I don't know.

L.S. Dennis
04-14-2003, 07:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Photoguy:</font><hr> I would imagine that the not admitting your 12 year old daughter had to do with what type of Liquor license Chalkers had . . . As far as Sue goes, I agree with you. For somebody who wrote a regular article about the billiard business, she knew nothing about customer service. The best thing about that club was Billy Aguero. I took many group and private lessons from Billy, bought many items from her pro shop, played there regularly and whenever I saw her, she acted like she had never seen me before. . . Billy is apparently involved with Buffalo Billiards in Cotati. To what capacity, I don't know. <hr /></blockquote>

Ditto to just about everything you said about Sue (or Marteen) as she wanted to be called toward the end. Not many people were happy with her customer service, and not the most welcoming person you'd ever want to meet.

Regarding Holleywood Billiards don't misunderstand me, I love the place. One of last billiard emporiums of yesteryear that is left in the country. Great atmosphere once you get up the stairs and inside the place. It's getting to that point that's the problem! I've always said that place in any other location would be a gold mine! Still a must visit for anybody visiting San Francisco.!

JosefS
04-15-2003, 03:37 PM
So what's the going rate now at Family Billiards and Hollywood? I haven't been there in a long, long while.

L.S. Dennis
04-15-2003, 07:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JosefS:</font><hr> So what's the going rate now at Family Billiards and Hollywood? I haven't been there in a long, long while. <hr /></blockquote>

To be honest with you I don't have a clue what the going hourly rate is for either of those places. The money I spend there goes for tournaments and food and beverages.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

JosefS
04-15-2003, 10:53 PM
Thanks anyway. I'm sure someone will know.