PDA

View Full Version : How Much do u DRINK when u play League/Comps ?

bigbro6060
04-14-2003, 01:17 AM
I know this guy who can down beer after beer and still play top pool!

I just have a couple to calm my nerves

not many other sports you can drink and play hey

UWPoolGod
04-14-2003, 02:26 AM
I don't know. Usually if I am going to play in something that means alot I don't drink at all. If it is a fun league where all of your teammates are drinking (because they know it is a fun league) then I may have a few. But I still am in it to win for my own personal ego. So like you, I may have a couple. Tonight I just got done with a 8-ball pool tourney where they have $1.50 any kind of beer, so I put down 5 or 6 ambers. I still won based on the caliber of people playing, but if several certain players had shown up, I wouldn't have drank as much. Once I got to point I drank a couple more waiting.

If I had played in a serious pool league, where my teammates were in it for money, or a trip to Reno/Vegas...I wouldn't drink.

JMHO.

Todd

Rich R.
04-14-2003, 04:34 AM
I drink constantly, while playing in my leagues.

Oh, my drink of choice is Diet Coke. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

TomBrooklyn
04-14-2003, 06:03 AM
Fran Crimi knows. She has a list of everyone. She probably won't say though as it is priviledged research information that she may use in one of her upcoming books or articles. Besides, I don't know if she will be posting to CCB anymore. She said that if the WPBA thread got out of hand, she would leave. Well, it got far enough out of hand that the Moderator eliminated the whole thing. I don't know if Fran will count that as having gone too far or being a null.

Kato
04-14-2003, 06:47 AM
Anywhere from 0-6 beers. Lately my drink of choice has been bottled water.

Kato

DSAPOLIS
04-14-2003, 07:15 AM
None, perhaps water. Sober since 12/06/86.That might not impress you, but it impresses me!

TomBrooklyn
04-14-2003, 07:34 AM
I usually drink one Lemonade, sometimes two. They didn't always have Lemonade, but now they make sure they always have it for when I come in. I play league in a pool hall that has a bar, but it's not primarily a bar.

Ocassionally I'll drink beer, but rarely on league night. Once I have one, I'm usually good for two to four more.

Sid_Vicious
04-14-2003, 07:43 AM
Competition($$$) or leagues? None these days. In the days gone by, I've drank enough to change the outcome of my winnings, on the negative side, I learned the hard way and now I'll just have diet coke or water while playing anything really competitive...sid

Kato
04-14-2003, 08:16 AM
Actually Dave, that is impressive.

Kato

Barbara
04-14-2003, 08:17 AM
Tom,

Fran will be back.

When I used to play in my league I would down a beer per hour. The match would usually run 3 hours.

I've seen girls that couldn't shoot worth a hoot sober and after they had a couple beers and shots, you didn't want to play them because they would just take a whack at anything.

Then they was this one time - in my first try in Vegas at the BCA tourny where I finished 17-24th - where my 9 am opponent shows up with two beers in her hands. I knew I was going to win that match.

BTW, weren't you supposed to get me one of NYC's best hot dogs while I was at Corner in exchange for the nuts you got at VF?

Barbara~~~now Tom owes me 2 hot dogs /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ralph S.
04-14-2003, 08:30 AM
As for what I drink, its the hard stuff. Coke or Mt.Dew. My dad is a recovering alcoholic so I have been through it all and seen it all. By the way, congrats Blackjack, IT IS IMPRESSIVE.

bluewolf
04-14-2003, 09:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DSAPOLIS:</font><hr> None, perhaps water. Sober since 12/06/86.That might not impress you, but it impresses me! <hr /></blockquote>

Great job David. That is 16 years by my calculations. There is something about that month. I got sober in december also. I have a good friend that got sober on Pearl Harbor Day.

Laura

TomBrooklyn
04-14-2003, 09:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr>Barbara~~~now Tom owes me 2 hot dogs /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>Barbara, you said you didn't want any Nathans hot dogs because they could not sustain the trip through New Jersey without suffering. You will have to select something less perishable or notify me up when you are passing by in your boat and I can have something fresh ready. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif The Pecans were super. Sweet and cinnamony, very filling too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

04-14-2003, 03:49 PM
When I started playing leagues I would drink a fare amount. At least 8 beers and a couple of shots. The problem was that our league would start at 7 and I would sometimes not have my match until 10:30. Now I'm having trouble standing let alone trying run more than two balls. Then driving home... nothing but trouble.

Anyway, things change and I'm a big water fan now.

stickman
04-14-2003, 05:34 PM
I normally drink 3 to 6 beers on league night, usually about a beer an hour. Six is about my limit. If I play in a tournament, I will usually drink soda or limit my beer to 2. I only drink when I go out and like to play pool or dance. I don't get into just sitting and drinking. These days, I sometimes drink in conjunction with doing other things. When I was younger, I sometimes did other things in conjunction with my drinking. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

snook
04-14-2003, 07:24 PM
i used to drink one or two playin with the "older guy" and my dad when we would all play on a saturday afternoon, but if i did i couldnt leave the house the rest of the night(i'm 16) but now i dont cuz my girlfriend doesnt prefer, she told me i could if i wanted, but my grandpa was an alcoholic until he was put in rehab and my dad was but caught himself before he got bad. so i figured i might as well stop while i'm ahead and not have to worry about family jeans

*. Sober since 12/06/86. THATS IMPRESSIVE i think december of 86 was just a good year, after all i was born the second of it /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fred Agnir
04-15-2003, 06:56 AM
I mostly drink a mixture of cranberry and grapefruit juice. Or cranberry and orange juice. It's refreshing and hyrdrating, but harsh enough that I don't down glass after glass.

Fred

Predator314
04-15-2003, 08:22 AM
Normally, I don't drink (to get drunk). I will occasionally have a beer.

However, I was shooting in a tournament in Orland, FL last year and ended up getting hammered. There was too much wait time between matches and the drinks were cheap. It was all I could do to make walk to the table. I ended up getting 6th in the tournament. With a pretty strong field of over 100 players. I really wish I wouldn't have gotten drunk that night. I could've done a lot better. I still shot good, but my head wasn't "clear".

cheesemouse
04-15-2003, 12:44 PM
In tournament play I drink beer till I get it just right on the dipstick then I nurse it till the day is done......

Michelle
04-15-2003, 01:29 PM
Somehow, I started playing pool in a bar (as a small child in a very small town), then when I started playing again in college, I was underage, but my boss' bookie managed a pool hall, so he pretty much got me in there all of the time, and as an underage college student, of course i drank! So I guess I began playing pool because of drinking, and not the other way around! And now, I work at the pool hall, so...I have gotten used to drinking and playing, and about a beer an hour doesn't phase me, even in minor tournaments.

But, I won't drink at major tournaments, like in Vegas, or Vegas qualifiers. Then I usually drink water, try not to get too much caffiene in my system, and if I get really nervous I do a shot of Jim Beam before the match!

Michelle
04-15-2003, 01:31 PM
But, now we should hear from SPetty and her tequillas! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bigbro6060
04-15-2003, 05:18 PM
as long as you have total control over your drinking and i do, i actually don't really like alcohol, i mainly drink the 'girlie' drinks like Stollies and other mixer drinks, i think a few drinks just helps your body relax and removes the tension resulting in a more fluid stroke.

Harold Acosta
04-15-2003, 05:28 PM
I drink Vodka or Gin (made of grain not sugar cane) with orange or pineapple juice in 10 or 12 onz cups. Aproximately 2 or 3 per hour at first. In 3-4 hours, will do approximately 10 drinks, depends on how strong they are served. $30 to $40 a night plus a pack of cigarrettes.

Drinks cost $2.50 to $3.00 bucks. Beer cost $1.25 or $1.50 for a 10 onz can. Coors, Bud, Bud Light plus the local beers (Medalla and our own Corona) . We don't have 12 onz beers except Heineken or Corona's (bottles). We also have 7 onz beer bottles.

pooldaddy9
04-15-2003, 08:44 PM
NONE is best. One drink, if you can stop there.They only get better and better.