PDA

View Full Version : Top Black Players (Cont.)

TomBrooklyn
04-14-2003, 09:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>Bugs Rucker is considered one of the all-time greatest bank players.[/b] (from this (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccbboard&amp;Number=51942&amp;Foru m=All_Forums&amp;Words=black%20players&amp;Match=And&amp;Searc hpage=2&amp;Limit=25&amp;Old=6months&amp;Main=51929&amp;Search=tru e#Post51942) inexplicably archived thread.)

TomBrooklyn
04-14-2003, 09:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> cannon ball was John Chapman<hr /></blockquote> I heard he was probably the best banks and one hole player in Chi town back in '63.

TomBrooklyn
04-14-2003, 09:38 AM
Grady Matthews has shot it out with "Chicago Bugs" many times. Maybe he can tell us some stories about him. Bug's has claimed he can outbank any human who ever lived; however he doesn't count Eddie Taylor whom he considered a "Bear." /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Deeman
04-14-2003, 10:15 AM
I was fortunate enough to see both "Bugs" Rucker and Eddie Taylor play, unfortunately never against each other. My take was that both men shot banks I could never master but that Mr. Taylor shot a few I just could not believe were even possible.

It is possibly unfair to ever compare really great players. I think Mr. Taylor was, maybe, just a hair better. However, as someone said, I'd hate to live on the difference. I might add that some said both were over the hill when I saw them play the last times. I would hope to be that over the hill one day. I just wish we knew how their wonderful minds work.

eg8r
04-14-2003, 10:16 AM
I like to hear about the greats. Sure wish I could have seen them play in real life.

Deeman, you screwed everything up. I thought Tom was going to be the only one posting in this thread. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Deeman
04-14-2003, 10:18 AM
Darn! I knew I was going to get on someone's list already this week! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Hey, at leasti didn't mention our Pal!!!

Rod
04-14-2003, 12:35 PM
Never saw Bugs play. I have had the pleasure of watching Cicero Murphy and Rags Wood. His name was mentioned before but Marvin Henderson in LA was a strong one hole player. I played the man several times, getting a little weight of course. He made a fair game but I won few. The man had a nack of making those odd long rail banks, well any bank for that matter. Always a gentelman and I learned a lot, it was a cheap investment.

Rod

eg8r
04-14-2003, 01:00 PM
No sir, no mention.

This week is a good week, I can feel it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I refuse to define good until a later date. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

These guys all know much more than I about the players of late, so I come to listen to the stories. Tom was on a roll earlier this morning.

eg8r

04-14-2003, 10:23 PM
I played Bugs some cheap one pocket in Philly a number of yrs ago and lost $60 to him. It was the best investment I ever made in that I picked up a number of things playing him that I could use on others. I can attest to the fact that he was a banking machine even though he was stalling. Fred

Rod
04-14-2003, 10:31 PM
Fred,
I had the feeling Marvin had more left in the bag too!! When I got better so did he. LOL

HalSmith
04-15-2003, 06:20 AM
There used to be a black fellow from Dallas by the road name of Cannonball, he took 30k off Fats at Le Cue in Houston back in mid 60's.---Smitty