PDA

View Full Version : Pool Hall Pet Peeves or Positives

Wally_in_Cincy
04-14-2003, 10:35 AM
Well here's a subject that has not been beaten to death ( lately ) /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

In a previous thread Popcorn stated that he preferred to discuss the positive rather than dwell on the negative so feel free to post the things you like about the places you play as well as your dislikes.

My biggest pet peeve lately is this. The place I go to hosts a Viking tourney each year and they get these big boxes of Silver Cup chalk for free. I try to carry Master's with me but sometimes I forget to pack some. If the owner is working the front and I request Master's instead of Silver Cup he rolls his eyes like I'm some kind of ass. I mean the stuff cost 12 cents for pity's sake /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Positives: The equipment is top quality and well maintained and the employees are helpful and friendly.

UWPoolGod
04-14-2003, 10:45 AM
The place I play-
Positives: Great well maintained GoldCrown 3's, Diamond lights, spacious..but the best is two giant Air Flow Conditioners sucking the smoke out of the place, that were installed in the past year. Used to walk into a haze...couldn't see the other side of the room.

Negatives: Certain players who "live" there, and are always in a pissed off mood...probably cause they are living in their car...and b!tch at any reason to be loud and boisterous.

Stan Shuffett
04-14-2003, 10:48 AM
Hi Wally,

Do you know enough about the new place in your area, Rhino's, to share any positives or negatives?

Landon and I hoping to make it to Cincy soon.

Stan

Paul_Mon
04-14-2003, 10:54 AM
Wally,
What do you percieve as the differences between these chalks? IMO, if your chalking prior to each shot then whatever you're using will suffice. If your chalking every 3 or 4 shots then maybe the Masters is better because it adheres to the tip better. At home I use all three (Masters,Tweeten and Silver Cup) and don't notice any differences. BTW, given a choice I buy Masters but don't ask me why.

What peeves me is people who grind the cue tip into the chalk. All of my chalks at home are almost flat on top. I wipe the chalk on the tip from side to side instead of rotating.

Paul Mon

UWPoolGod
04-14-2003, 10:57 AM
Oh I hate that too, but the worst of all is people putting the chalk on the table UPSIDE DOWN, so all the fine dust gets on the rails, then your hands/clothes, then the shaft....I have never understood that. I finally broke my dad's habit of that after telling him over..and over...and..

Kato
04-14-2003, 11:07 AM
I play a guy who turns the chalk over so when it's my turn to shoot I walk around the table and turn over all the chalks he turns over. It's like a dance. What I hate is people walking past your table or running around in the room causing a ruckus.

Kato

UWPoolGod
04-14-2003, 11:22 AM
What I hate is people walking past your table or running around in the room causing a ruckus. <---Kato

Yeah that is another good thing about the place I play, there is a seperate room for all of the kids to play in the back of the place with a small opening to go through. Most of the time only players are on the front 7 tables, and kids on the back 8. But still they have to walk right next to the main gambling table, and two of the others to get to the back.

Tom_In_Cincy
04-14-2003, 11:26 AM
It opened last week.. $5/hour per person.. about a dozen Brunswick NEW 9 footers. Its suppose to have a full bar and great food Located near Eastgate shoping center just off I274

9 Ball Girl
04-14-2003, 11:36 AM
I know everyone and they're all pool players
I get discounts since I help run the tourney (incl. food, drink, etc.)
Good equipment
Internet jukebox so I can play Led Zeppelin to my heart's content
There are more I can't think of at the moment

Peeves. I hate it when:
The chalk is upside down on the rail
When the person I'm playing with picks up the chalk after they miss and it's my turn. What are you chalking for? Wait til your turn!
When the person uses the chalk and instead of putting it back on the table, they keep it by their cues
When the person racks and throws the rack under the table instead of hanging it where it belongs
When they place the bridge on top of the other bridge on the same side of the table
When they throw the bridge on the floor instead of putting it back on the bridge rest
When they walk away while I'm shooting. For God's sake, pay attention to the game!
When they scratch and don't have the courtesy to give you the cueball (exception: If I'm already by the ball return then I'll get it)

Wendy~~so I'm a neat freak, can't help it

Wally_in_Cincy
04-14-2003, 11:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> It opened last week.. $5/hour per person.. about a dozen Brunswick NEW 9 footers. Its suppose to have a full bar and great food Located near Eastgate shoping center just off I275 <hr /></blockquote>

That's a bit of a drive for me but sounds like it would be worth checking out. Is there another place opening near West Chester/Tri-county or did I hear wrong?

Wally_in_Cincy
04-14-2003, 11:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Paul_Mon:</font><hr> Wally,
What do you percieve as the differences between these chalks?

<font color="blue">Master's is not as coarse. </font color>

IMO, if your chalking prior to each shot then whatever you're using will suffice. If your chalking every 3 or 4 shots then maybe the Masters is better because it adheres to the tip better.

<font color="blue">I chalk every shot. </font color>

At home I use all three (Masters,Tweeten and Silver Cup) and don't notice any differences. BTW, given a choice I buy Masters but don't ask me why.

What peeves me is people who grind the cue tip into the chalk. All of my chalks at home are almost flat on top. I wipe the chalk on the tip from side to side instead of rotating.

<font color="blue">I also wipe. I don't grind. Bob Jewett would be proud of me. My chalks look like his. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>
<hr /></blockquote>

Wally_in_Cincy
04-14-2003, 11:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stan Shuffett:</font><hr>

.....Landon and I hoping to make it to Cincy soon.

<hr /></blockquote>

So how is that young-un ? /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

=k=
04-14-2003, 11:46 AM
wally positive they clean the balls regularly!!
negative they don't get them in matched sets.. they get the centenial balls mixed up with the bar box tables.

Rod
04-14-2003, 12:00 PM
Likes -- I like clean rest rooms
Dislikes -- I hate dirty rest rooms
But the biggest granddaddy of them all is slow rails! Bars are the worst with there rugs and mush cushions but there are plenty of slow rails in pool rooms. Get a clue room owners, these things DO have to be replaced sometime.

Rod

Stan Shuffett
04-14-2003, 12:09 PM
Wally, thanks for asking about Landon.

Landon is doing great! He won his first tournaments this past winter. One had 37 players and the other had 28 players.(Races to 3 in 8-ball on bar tables) The tournaments were for amateurs, but the average age for both tournaments was about 25. In an open tournament last month, Landon won a 7-4 match against an "A" player and went 6-7 with another "A" player. He started practicing "99" this past week and yesterday his average was 50 and that is on a pro-cut 9 ft. diamond. He's breaking and beating the ghost with 5 balls on the diamond also. Landon will be 9 in July.

Popcorn
04-14-2003, 12:15 PM
For me, it would be, having confidence in the equipment, even if it is just in my head. I want to use what I like and not ever think about it.

NBC-BOB
04-14-2003, 12:28 PM
dislikes:no smoke eaters,loud music.
My idea of a perfect room is,clean,nonsmoking,music in the backround.So far I've only found rooms with one of the three.We have one room locally that has great table conditions,but the strobe lights bother me and the music vibrates the table.

Predator314
04-14-2003, 12:34 PM
Positives:
- Pool is free (big plus... It's my local Moose Lodge)
- Brunswick Contendor tables w/ Simonis 860 cloth
- No youngsters running around raising hell
- 2 Big Screen TVs
- Really good competition

Negatives:
- Only 8 ft tables
- Not a big variety of people that shoot pool
- Not really accomodating to an all-night gambling session
- Only 1 "big" tournament a year

There are a couple other pool halls around my immediate area. They are kid hangouts mainly. There are no real pool shooters there and their tables suck. I have to travel an hour to find a good place w/ 9 ft tables.

nAz
04-14-2003, 12:39 PM
I like to have the chalk kept of the entire table (take with you what you bring to the table)

I hate fooking reggae music playing for more then 2 min.

I like carpeted floors

I hate Bathrooms without paper towels!!

cycopath
04-14-2003, 01:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> ...but the worst of all is people putting the chalk on the table UPSIDE DOWN...<hr /></blockquote>I'm trying to break my wife of that right now. Damn she gets pissed when I mention it. But man, that erks me to no end. It's amazing how such a little thing can get under your skin.

Rod
04-14-2003, 01:57 PM
I thought of one more, people standing between tables when it is not their shot. Makes you wonder why chairs were invented. LOL

Rod

Rod
04-14-2003, 02:00 PM
I thought of one more, why the hell do people put ketchup on hot dogs!! LOL ok another thread. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Scott Lee
04-14-2003, 02:02 PM
Stan...I just wanted to tell you that I have heard many fine things about Landon! It seems that people all over the country have seen him on t.v.! Many do not know his name (YET), so, of course, I clued them in! LOL I look forward to seeing both of you sometime when we're in the same place at the same time! Keep up the good work with your son!

Scott Lee

Stan Shuffett
04-14-2003, 02:34 PM
Scott, Thanks for the positive note about Landon! He sure is a fine young boy and needless to say I am quite proud of him.

I hope our paths do cross. I would like for you to take a look at Landon's fundamentals. And dinner's on me. If you're ever passing through Kentucky on I65 N or S, give me a call.

Stan

snook
04-14-2003, 02:41 PM
positive, i really enjoy the guys i play with

negative, crap 6 foot quarter table with no rails, and nobody that can really give me a good "run for my money" anymore

but thats at the legion. i prefer to play on my home table its just harder to get new people here seeing as how father doesnt want complete strangers coming into the house all the time(neither do i) so im normally either practicing or playing dad(whom i rarely beat)

is regulation 8 or 9 foot for nine ball?

bluewolf
04-14-2003, 02:47 PM
POSITIVES

Great tables- Brunswick gold crown 9 ft
Centennial Balls
Nice atmosphere
Places to eat/drink while playing
Nice artwork on the walls
Marble sinks
Free Ice Tea
1/2 price Burgers on APA nights
Nice chairs
Masters Chalk
Good house cues
Great service from wait persons
Wait person knows you personally and what your usual is

NEGATIVES

Balls only cleaned infrequently

Laura

Michelle
04-14-2003, 04:29 PM
Good: Never having to leave the table to order food/drinks.
Bad: Wait staff interuppting you for your order.

Good: Having enough new chalk to go around the room.
Bad: Having so much chalk that you step on pieces all over the floor.

Good:
Clean house cues
Clean ash trays.
Friendly faces.

Bad: People who think it's cool when they break so hard (and incorrectly) send their cue ball flying halkway across the room. Same for jumping.
Glare from the sun thru the windows.
Music so loud you can't think.
Low lighting.
(The happened to me at a tournament this past weekend...)
When guys pants ride WAY low, they don't wear belts, and they bend over at the table in front of you as you are trying to shoot. Ew.

stickman
04-14-2003, 05:45 PM
Positives: Well maintained equiptment. Clean tables, clean floors, clean balls. I like a well managed place, with no drunken brawls, etc. I carry my own Masters. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Pet peaves: The opposite of the above, plus, I hate when players smear talc all over the table.

I'm sure I could add endlessly to this, but it covers the primary points.

snook
04-14-2003, 07:28 PM
oh yea, no i carry my own masters on one of those magnetic chalk holders, i just got tired of chasing the freaking chalk!

#### leonard
04-16-2003, 06:30 AM
Ohhh But But Butt.####

#### leonard
04-16-2003, 06:32 AM
That cracks me up too.####

Ralph S.
04-16-2003, 07:24 AM
The one thing that aggravates me to the point of going postal is how so many people, when drinking, think they can grab just any cue and most of the time try to grab mine. Then they get an attitude when you tell them no.

Steve Lipsky
04-16-2003, 07:43 AM
It makes me nuts when someone walks in front of my shot, realizes it, and then freezes like a deer caught in headlights. Do they really think this is less distracting than if they just continue walking through the shot??!?

I couldn't believe it, but in an issue of BD some time ago, Ewa Laurance actually suggested this (in an article on etiquette) - saying, if you accidently walk into someone's shot, freeze right where you are until the shot has been taken.

I don't understand how a seasoned player can offer that advice.

- Steve

9 Ball Girl
04-16-2003, 07:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph S.:</font><hr> The one thing that aggravates me to the point of going postal is how so many people, when drinking, think they can grab just any cue and most of the time try to grab mine. Then they get an attitude when you tell them no. <hr /></blockquote>Argh! They do it when they're sober too! I was practicing by myself once and while I was racking the balls I had rested my cue right next to me against the table. Well this one dude walks over and grabs it, then places it on top of the table next to mine and starts to roll it to make sure it's not crooked! As if! "Um, that's my cue.", I said to him and he looked at me and said, "Oh". He walked away to grab a house cue. Duh!

Talk about clueless.

04-16-2003, 08:13 AM
I got one how about when you go to practice when its not busy and out of all the tables they stick the next bunch of people on the table next to you especially this one place that has about thirty tables packed in a room that resembles my 10x10 shed, not to mention tables that are as hygenic as a crackhead.
Likes: good place to hook up /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Deeman
04-16-2003, 08:59 AM
I like it when a place has high seats (stools) for you to sit and see the action while not shooting, I love the few places that add notched trim to the rails of drink tables so you can rest your cue without it sliding over (You should not have to carry a cue dude type thing with you). I like the places that give you just another foot or so between tables to allow shooting without bumping the adjacent table.

I hate upside down chalk layers (surprising how many good players will do this), people who need to stand too close to the table while you shoot (within a foot or so!), people who carry a cigarette around while lining up a shot and I really hate places that can't decide if they are a pool hall or a game arcade.

I do love to see bangers play as I know they enjoy the game, despite their playing level, as much as most of us do. I like to see kids luck in a ball and smile at thier mother like they meant for it to go there. I like to see a parent "throw" the game so their kids can win. I like the click of the balls and the sound of a ball hitting in a pocket at warp speed.

Big_Jon
04-16-2003, 06:50 PM
likes: Kim Steele 9' Tables Sim. 860, super pro balls, master's chalk (my own), enough room between the tables, not having to go to the bar to get stuff, i can pick the table i want, high chairs, people walking around trying to sell cues, then come to me and my dad desperate for money /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif, perfect lighting.

Bad Stuff: Rap Noise (sane people can't call that s#it music), idiots that can't stroke a marble through the front door but try to impress their friends, more than 4 people standing around the opposite table, mexicans that seem to always have BIH behind the line when i'm at the foot of the table, Room owners that think i'm rude to Pro players in forums lol, people that walk up to you at the front door and ask if they can get in on your membership (yes Dafatman... that other place lol), upside down chalk, coke products only, people that walk (run) by and hit the butt of your cue while playing a shot and not even turning around and if they do they look at you like you did something wrong, and ok i'm rambling.

Dafatman... take notes on all that bad stuff BAHAHAHA, i know you can't help some things but come on.. the coke has to go...

Thanks

Jon (Master of the Run-On Sentence)

CarolNYC
04-17-2003, 04:38 AM
Steve,
I hear you-especially when they're walking right past the table and stop in the middle of your view-I would rather them "Keep walking":)Maybe that will become a rule!ha ha ha ha
Carol~left league last week,yep,car was hit-only mirror!Boy Im looking forward to driving my car to league tonight!UGH&lt;UGH&lt;UGH!

PoolFan
04-17-2003, 09:38 AM
Pros: A well kept room, room with lots of action, good racks, comfortable high chairs, well kept equipment

Peeves: tables to close together, inconsistence with balls, disgusting bathrooms, players who don't put the down facing up, opponents with bad BO,

Michelle
04-17-2003, 10:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Big_Jon:</font><hr> Bad Stuff: Rap Noise (sane people can't call that s#it music
Jon (Master of the Run-On Sentence) <hr /></blockquote>

I hate being called an idiot, especially by someone who doesn't even know me.

Big_Jon
04-17-2003, 03:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Michelle:</font><hr>
I hate being called an idiot, especially by someone who doesn't even know me.
<hr /></blockquote>

well, would you like it any beter if we got to know each other and then i called you an idiot, and i didn't call you an idiot, i just said that you have to be insane to call that s#it music, get real it's a pathetic excuse for noise, i'd rather hear a cat being raped by a horse...

Thanks

Jon

ras314
04-17-2003, 04:05 PM
Positive ... get to play with same size and weight cb as ob

Negatives ... 200 mi to nearest pool hall
... great big picture windows right on busy street
... more light in the room than on the table