PDA

View Full Version : Just re-read the "I Am God" post

Kato
04-14-2003, 10:58 AM
It's freakin' hilarious. C.C. was in rare form and eg8tr was hilarious.

So does anybody have a vote for their favorite or funniest thread?

Kato~~~starting to get bored.

9 Ball Girl
04-14-2003, 12:08 PM
In no particular order:

Anything by Ken (Rackmup)

Tom_in_Cincy's Pool Story that we started back in June of '02 I believe

Carol's story on her adventure with Fran on the boat

My catastrophic travel stories

The "Chawwwwwlk It Up Earl" story

SpiderMan
04-14-2003, 04:04 PM
Patrick has really come up with some stupid stuff. He could make my dog laugh, even though I suspect he's actually trying to be serious.

Here is one of my favorite "Patricisms", posted in followup to a lengthy (and deserved) rebuke by Scott Lee of Patrick's pool prowess. Scott had just expended several paragraphs in serious belittlement of Patrick's talents, only to get this response:

"Imagine you are living on a planet with only apes, and you are the only human there, then one of the apes say that to you! Is this fair?" Patrick

Then there was the thread where Patrick spent a week trying to tell us that in a tournament with a field of 64, your statistical chance of winning was 1 in 128.

BTW, where's he been lately?

SpiderMan

eg8r
04-14-2003, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the kind words. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I do miss those days when Ken would whine about the rolls.

eg8r

Patrick
06-09-2003, 09:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Then there was the thread where Patrick spent a week trying to tell us that in a tournament with a field of 64, your statistical chance of winning was 1 in 128.

BTW, where's he been lately?

SpiderMan
<hr /></blockquote>It is double elimination, not single elimination of course.

It is 1 chance in 128 to win every match in a double elimination tournament (64 player field, 50% chance for everyone), and it is 1 chance in 64 to win every match in a single elimination tournament.

Patrick

wolfdancer
06-09-2003, 10:41 PM
Patrick, I'm not claiming to know anything about statistics; can't help but think though, that your odds against winning are wrong. If you win 7 matches in a row, in a 64 man, double elim. tournament(7 To 1?)...you are the Champ..lose one anywhere along the way, and the odds change, but since you would never have to face the whole field....never 1 out of 128
You would be correct though in stating that the odds against, anyone player winning the event are 63 to 1,or 1 out of 64, even if it's triple elim....
Maybe the math is different in your dimension?????

Patrick
06-10-2003, 12:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Patrick, I'm not claiming to know anything about statistics; can't help but think though, that your odds against winning are wrong. If you win 7 matches in a row, in a 64 man, double elim. tournament(7 To 1?)...you are the Champ..lose one anywhere along the way, and the odds change, but since you would never have to face the whole field....never 1 out of 128
You would be correct though in stating that the odds against, anyone player winning the event are 63 to 1,or 1 out of 64, even if it's triple elim....
Maybe the math is different in your dimension????? <hr /></blockquote>If you have 50% chance per match to win.

Single elimination (64 player field): 6 matches in a row to win the tournament: 1 chance in 64.

Double elimination (64 player field): 7 matches (all wins) in a row to win the tournament: 1 chance in 128.

Losing a match and win the tournament: 1 chance in 64.

Also read these articles:
http://vp3.0catch.com/articles.htm#15

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccbboard&amp;Number=47773&amp; page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1

Patrick

wolfdancer
06-10-2003, 08:11 AM
Oops!!!...I was wrong, and you are right
2 to the 7th power is 128, and the correct mathmetical odds.

SpiderMan
06-10-2003, 09:48 AM
Don't fall into the trap of circular logic. Apply this sanity check:

At the beginning of the tournament, assuming equal skills, all players have the same chance of winning.

Now assume that you believe this chance is only 1 in 128. Let the players compete in 128 tournaments and each player wins his statistical mean of one tournament. IF EACH PLAYER WINS ONE, THERE HAVE ONLY BEEN 64 WINS. Who won the other half of the tournaments?

The only way it can work is for each player to win two, which means he started with a chance of 2 in 128 or 1 in 64.

SpiderMan

Qtec
06-10-2003, 10:04 AM
Spiderman,i dont know that this will help,but here goes.
If you play roulette ,excluding the house numbers, red or black is a 50/50 chance. if red has come up 8 times in a row, the chances are that the next number will be black.If you have just walked in and you place a bet on red, you would expect that you have an even chance .
A roulette wheel has no memory so every time you throw the ball in you do have an equal chance, but in this case statistically speaking you dont.

The fact is , ODDS only come true in the long run.
[ just a thought]

Q

Patrick
06-10-2003, 09:15 PM
You have a 50% chance everytime, even when you got the same one 1000 times in a row.

Patrick

rackmup
06-11-2003, 04:22 AM
Math makes my head hurt.

Ken (the statistical chance of me winning a 64 player field, double elimination tournament does not exist. Period.)

Qtec
06-11-2003, 06:46 AM
That would seem logical, but whats the chances of Black coming up 14 times in a row? I understand that the record is 13.I know that with each spin there is a 50/50 chance but the reality indicates that it isnt.
Q

TomBrooklyn
06-11-2003, 07:02 AM
The chance of black coming out 14 times in a row is 16,384 to 1 or .00610%. However, the chance of black coming out on the fourteenth spin after black has come out on the last thirteen is 2 to 1 or 50%, the same as it is on any other spin.

The chance of any prespecified sequence of fourteen results on the roulette table is 16,384 to 1. For instance fourteen reds in a row, alternating red and black for 14 spins, or six reds followed by 8 blacks etc.

Deniel
06-11-2003, 09:28 AM
ROLMAO /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
It's official, Ken is definetely my favorite person in the room, you crack me up dude ^_____^

Patrick
06-11-2003, 10:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr> Math makes my head hurt.

Ken (the statistical chance of me winning a 64 player field, double elimination tournament does not exist. Period.) <hr /></blockquote>It is impossible not to win, what if all players resign so you win? You will win unless you resign everytime yourself.

Patrick