PDA

View Full Version : Paul Newman, Shame If They Don't...

Sid_Vicious
04-14-2003, 02:07 PM
...get a pool based movie done with him before he's not able to do one. I saw him in Road To Perdition over the weekend, and it was impossible for me to not have flashes of visions, seeing him again in something orbiting pool, even if it is only a cameo appearance. Something tells me that the time, his time, is running slimmer by the day. Is this a new subject for this board? Hardly. Maybe to Joe Public, it won't be missed that much if and when Neuman is out of the movie making business and a pool movie isn't done with his being in it. Personally though, I sure wish somebody would bank roll another hustler type movie and pay Neuman's price for an acting roll, while the gettin' is good....sid

sneakypapi
04-16-2003, 12:06 AM
Hey I agree, you have to remember the ending of The Color of Money with Tom and Paul at the table playing for the envelope. Obviously, that was setting up a possible sequel or keeping the door open for another movie.

04-16-2003, 12:48 AM
But both Hustler and COM were supposedly based on a novel by W. Tevis (Yes, I know, the COM plot didn't have anything to do with the novel). And to my knowledge there isn't a third novel to base a movie on.

But yes, they left it open, and I love the ending... "Cause I'm back!". Soooooooooo many sport movies end up with same old rags-to-riches story with a climatic ending. Or then there are maybe the odd art house movies that have an anti-climatic ending... but in COM, it's sort of like... you believe him or not... it's up to you. And when you leave the cinema after COM, your mind start creating pictures of how the story continued after the cameras stopped rolling. A classic.

I wonder how the plot for the third flick would be? He'd die in it for sure. But the rest? He'd find some straight pool action finally, and realize that you don't need those young 9ball eyes for it. The game he loved the most, would resurrect his game. Hmm...

Photoguy
04-16-2003, 01:50 AM
My vote from a pure entertainment value would be for the next pool movie to be written and directed by Ron Sheldon who is responsible for Bull Durham, Tin Cup, White Men Can't Jump . . . he certainly has the sports genre down.