PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know about Cognoscenti Cues?

Eric.
04-15-2003, 08:07 AM
Just looking for some opinions, hearsay, rumors, etc.

I'm thinking about a Cog. They have a crisp hit to them and I like the balanced feel. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with them? How does the resin joint screw hold up? What kinds of tapers are available?

http://www.cognoscenticues.com/

Thanks for any and all opinions.

Eric

Kato
04-15-2003, 08:16 AM
All I know is that they are beautiful. Scott Lee used to rep for Joe so I'm sure he'll have a things to tell you. The one I'd like to buy is one that Billy Incardona used to play with. I'm not sure what the price tag is, probably $4000 or so.

Kato

Eric.
04-15-2003, 08:39 AM
Dude,

They are beautiful. I had a chance to talk with R. de Rueda @ Valley Forge and the cue hits really sweet. I loved the feel and sound of the hit!

I thinking about one and am curious as far as anyones experience. I'm also interested in how that resin screww holds up.

Eric

Kato
04-15-2003, 10:15 AM
My buddy Dick Weaver plays with an ebony and ivory Cog. That cue is so darn gorgeous but he won't let anyone hit a ball with one (I can't say I blame him, I think he once told me that cue was worth 10K, at least to him). Joey sent his wife one for her birthday a few years ago and I hit a few balls with that one (now that I think about it) and I didn't think it magical in any way though I liked it. Unfortunately those 3 balls doesn't qualify me to tell you anything good or bad other than the craftmanship of the cue. Construction-wise, Joe Gold is right there with any cue maker and his imagination is second to none.

Kato

Scott Lee
04-15-2003, 11:36 AM
Eric...I represented Cognoscenti for five years, played exclusively with the cue, and sold many plain and fancy cues. They are an excellent cue. The epoxy joint screw is something unique. I love the hit, and am asking Samsara to make me a cue with that screw. They will hold up fine, and are guaranteed for life, anyway. The only reason I switched to Samsara is because Joe Gold and I had a falling out! Samsara is every bit as good, and they have treated me very fairly.

Scott Lee

Eric.
04-15-2003, 12:28 PM

04-16-2003, 12:29 AM
i've handled a few ..for some reason they are relatively popular with around New Orleans.. i had my doubts in seeing the g-10 joint but they do hold up. magnificantly made..really Joe Gold pioneered the epxy-g10 joint that other terrific makers use. CHudy..even Barrenger offers that as an option. Mr. Gold is certainly in the top five current cue makers so surely not a poor choice... i've noticed more traveling pros with Cognescentis in the last two years than any other cue, including Southwest. the best cue makers in the last 20 years seem to be from Chicago...hmmm. my personal favorite cue craftsman is also from Chicago. i wonder why?
anyway buy it Eric.. having a cue to love definitely does elevate one's game. Cogniscenti's hit very similar to Southwest although far more feel and response. superbly well made, individual even with the growing fame. sure to increase in value if you care. better if you don't.
best regards,
^v^

SRpool
04-17-2003, 02:00 PM
I have played with a Cognoscenti for about 8 years now and I love it. The light-weight pin allows me to have a cue made of ebony, pink ivory, ivory and silver and still only weigh 17.8oz. that is pretty remarkable. the pin also allows you to have a solid hit similar to a one piece cue. It is durable, the pin can take alot of force if it is hit straight up and down (that is what Joe shows people when he shows his cues, hitting the pin into a 2x4) but they do break if hit on the side or if the cue is bent a little, mine broke once when it fell over and hit the ground, but Joe will fix it for you for free and when it breaks the pin breaks clean so he just has to drill it out and put a new pin in. I say it is a great cue. just my opinion

Sarah Rousey