PDA

View Full Version : Chess: Kaspaov Loses After 4 Yrs and Gets Angry.

TomBrooklyn
04-15-2003, 09:10 AM
The Scotsman
by John Henderson

March 10, 2003

ALL good things must come to an end, and for Garry Kasparov at Linares it proved be the end (and a bitter one at that) of his remarkable four-year winning-streak at elite tournaments as the world number one finished behind Peter Leko and Vladimir Kramnik.

In a remarkable turnaround in his game (and his health due to the false and tasteless rumours of his death in a car crash last year!), Leko, who in the past has been dubbed one of the most boring players on the circuit due to his many draws, again produced the best fighting chess of the tournament to deservedly take the title on tiebreak (decided by the fewest draws) ahead of Kramnik, who was the only unbeaten player among the field.

In the last round, Leko expertly neutralized Kramnik's advantage in their game to hold the draw for his first Linares title as the two Einstein World Championship contestants finished equal first on a plus two score of 7/12. Coupled with his victory last year at the Dortmund Candidates, Leko now looks to be a formidable force to reckon with, and the forthcoming world title clash between Kramnik and Leko now looks to be an intriguing contest with two of the toughest players in the world going head to head.

Einstein TV, who have already outlined their plans to FIDE, are reported to be making a statement next month as to the full details of the upcoming Kramnik-Leko match; the winner of which is set to play the victor of the FIDE Buenos Aires showdown between Kasparov and Ponomariov in a unification match set for November.

For world number one Kasparov, as age catches up with him as he fast approaches 40, it was the end of a record-breaking ten consecutive elite tournament victories stretching from Wijk aan Zee 1999 through to Linares 2002. As expected, Kasparov fought to the bitter end in an interesting tussle with old foe Vishy Anand, who avoided all the complications to hold the draw. The main difference in the scores between Kasparov, Leko and Kramnik proved to be Kasparov dropping .5 points to Baku teenager Teimour Radjabov, who finished at the foot of the table at his first Linares.

According to reports on the Spanish website "Jaque", it seems that the press really knows how to kick a man when he's down - despite the Herculean efforts in the past of his ten elite tournament victories.

Radjabov was controversially awarded (in a vote decided by journalists) the tournament's 'beauty prize' for his win against Kasparov - anything but the best game of the tournament. While the Baku teenager - with his proud mother videotaping the proceedings - was being handed the prize, an enraged Kasparov stormed up to the microphone and said, "I don't believe that this was the best game of the tournament. It has been selected only because it was the only game that I lost and I consider this to be a public insult and humiliation."

While everyone looked on in shock, Kasparov went after a group of journalists and worked his rage up to shouting level. "This is the worst insult you have ever done to me in my life! It is an insult to me and to chess! You consider yourselves chess journalists? If you think this was the most beautiful game of Linares, you are doing a great deal of damage to chess with your reports and articles. Radjabov was completely lost in that game!"