PDA

View Full Version : need help buying first cue

dmgwalsh
04-15-2003, 09:23 AM
I've now got a nice used brunswick vip pro 8 table in my basement. I've been using the cue that came with it which is ok for now. I used to play a little 35 years ago and would like to get better now than I was then.

Can anyone suggest to me ways to go about getting a good cue. I know I used to like a 19.5 ouncer. My brother had a Viking back in the mid seventies that was pretty good. I've been reading about predators. How do I find out what is good for me and theb where is the best place to buy? Thanks for any suggestions. Dennis

Sid_Vicious
04-15-2003, 09:31 AM
Whatcha going to spend on this cue? I'm certain you'll get advice to buy custom if you are looking to spend $400 or more, so it'll help knowing what your budget is...sid

dmgwalsh
04-15-2003, 09:39 AM
I'm not sure about price. I was thinking of getting sort of a resonably priced starter cue for now and maybe getting a better one later. Probably a couple of hundred for now. Dennis

Fred Agnir
04-15-2003, 09:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmgwalsh:</font><hr> I'm not sure about price. I was thinking of getting sort of a resonably priced starter cue for now and maybe getting a better one later. Probably a couple of hundred for now. Dennis <hr /></blockquote>JOSS

Fred &lt;~~~ doesn't think anyone should buy a "custom cue" for their first

Predator314
04-15-2003, 09:53 AM
Viking has some good cues. Predators are really good, but have a love/hate relationship with the pool community (at least where I live).

I recommend looking at Seybert's (http://www.seyberts.com). They are awesome and have Vikings, Predators, and other cues.

dmgwalsh
04-15-2003, 09:53 AM
Yeah, I think a custom cue could probably wait until I felt I deserved one. (I've got a friend with a Richard Black and a Ginacue, but I think he likes collecting more than playing.)

Sid_Vicious
04-15-2003, 09:54 AM
Frankly speaking I couldn't be more impressed with value in a cue any more than I've been so far with Cuetecs cues. They have these for wall sticks at my playing house and I have had many other local players say the same thing, "Those cues play WELL." You can internet shop and get quite a nice Cuetec for $200, and if you want something for under $100, Cuetec is still your cue. I don't own one, but I have decided that I would promote them to anyone looking for a first cue...sid

Rich R.
04-15-2003, 09:58 AM
Not in any particular order:
Joss
Viking
Falcon
Pechauer
Mali

I'm prabably missing some others.
All make fine hitting cues and they have some models in your price range. They all feel a little different.
Find a dealer in your area and see if you can hit some balls. Make your choice based on how the stick feels to YOU.

WaltVA
04-15-2003, 10:54 AM
I would look for a dealer near you where you can hit some balls with several cues. Viking, Mali, and McDermott (NOT the "Shamrock" imports!) make good sticks, IMO.

If you can't find a local dealer, or just want to price different models, Seybert's, Hawleys, Muellers (poolndarts.com) and billiardsexpress.com are sites you can check out.

Walt in VA

NBC-BOB
04-15-2003, 11:31 AM
Where are you located?I know a few places around NY-NJ area.

dmgwalsh
04-15-2003, 12:29 PM
I'm in the southwest suburbs of chicago.

04-16-2003, 12:03 AM
pool depot (http://www.poolanddartdepot.com) There are some good prices on this sight best I have seen.

dmgwalsh
04-19-2003, 04:00 PM
You're not kidding about the prices at pool and dart depot. Predators are much cheaper than all the other online spots i"ve found.

I went to a billiard supply shop yesterday and tried a predator, a Joss, a McDermott, viking, schmelke, and maybe one more. I liked the feel of the predator. The Joss wasn't bad either. I wonder if I should just bite the bullet and get a Predator or whether I ought to look around some more. Any good reason to just use a predator shaft with a different butt? DW

04-20-2003, 01:59 AM
My advice would be to take the couple of bills you're looking to spend and look into used cues. In my area one of the local billiard companies takes lots of trade-ins and usually has a good selection of quality used cues.

Sure, you could take your 200 bucks and buy a new cue-tech (a cue which I would give a 3 on a playability scale of 1-10), but you may also be able to spend 150 on a nice used Bludworth sneaky pete or something similar (as fine a hit as you will ever find).

dmgwalsh
04-20-2003, 05:04 AM
I noticed you mentioned two bills. Then I looked back and saw that was what I had mentioned for a budget. As I've been looking, my budget seems to keep going up. I was looking at new predators from anywhere to 400 to 900, yesterday. I really don't want to spend that much money yet, so maybe I'll just look for some used. By the way does a 99 predator 3k-7 of LE-9 hit any better than a 350 3k1?

pooltchr
04-21-2003, 10:10 AM
I have been shooting with a Lucasi with the unilock joint and a predator 314 shaft for quite a while. I like the looks and balance of the Lucasi, and the P-shaft is a great fit for it. You can find the shafts in the $200 range.
Steve

04-22-2003, 06:01 AM
well, their are plenty of great cues, but the one i like and am in love with is meucci, they have never bent, broke, warped, i've never had a tip come off, i've had 4 or 5 different cues, and meucci really does the job for me. i spent 400 for my cue, i shoot with a meucci 97-10.

Snyder1
04-22-2003, 07:57 AM
I'm a relative beginner &amp; picked up a Lucasi with the Uni-Lok joint on ebay. THere are some really excellent deals to be had. At the stage I'm currently at, I just needed a good two piece cue to learn with &amp; this GM20 fits the bill - the wrap is nicely done &amp; I really like the finish Lucasi uses ... virtually friction free.

JS

dooziexx
04-23-2003, 12:43 PM
Hi Dennis,
I live in Aurora, Illinois and I deal in cues. Email me at dooziexx@yahoo.com and I can help you get a cue at really good prices.
-Erik