PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here got .....

Karatemom
04-15-2003, 01:25 PM
an air cleaner in their home or office? Been thinking about getting one for the house, but just not sure. I've seen the infomercials from The Sharper Image, and I've seen all the HEPA filtration stuff. Anyone got any recommendations?

Heide

Popcorn
04-15-2003, 03:42 PM
I have one from Sears, the big round one with multi filters, see the difference. Around the desk area there used to dust all the time now almost nothing. I had to replace a processor and was told it was due to not keeping the machine clean and too much dust around the office area.

Rich R.
04-16-2003, 04:21 AM
Heide, in a thread a short while ago, Carol mentioned that she has the HEPA filters in her home. If she does not see this thread, you may want to PM her to get a little more information.

bluewolf
04-16-2003, 05:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> an air cleaner in their home or office? Been thinking about getting one for the house, but just not sure. I've seen the infomercials from The Sharper Image, and I've seen all the HEPA filtration stuff. Anyone got any recommendations?

Heide <hr /></blockquote>

Heide, I know a really good one. It is better than anything I have ever seen. Covers 1000 sq feet. it is very pricy, however.

If you are thinking of something for Chris, personally, if it were me, I would want the very best. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It filters out pollens and almost all bacteria.

Laura

Wally_in_Cincy
04-16-2003, 06:33 AM
I would be leery of the ionic type cleaners. Here's a link to some consumer comments, warning it's loooong.

http://s-2000.com/netdir/Reviews/921.html

The basic opinion is the Ionic breeze is over-priced, poor quality, and possibly damaging to the lungs (due to ozone).

HEPA filter is the way to go. I'm allergic to cats and my GF has two. I'm ok in the summer with the windows open. In the winter we use a HEPA and it helps immensely. The replacement filters are expensive but they last a while.

Sid_Vicious
04-16-2003, 07:07 AM
Heidi...I have two cheap ones($35 a piece on sale at Wally World) but I've gotten compliments from friends about the way they keep the pet odor away. I imagine that they are not as energy efficient as the expensive ones, but I also imagine that some of these expensive filters are yuppy filters, marketed to snag your wallet. You are doing the right thing in asking questions, and I will be interested in following the answers. I ain't against investing in better technology, but I AM against tossing money away on gizmos. If "the best" means it works the best, then I'm all for it...sid

eg8r
04-16-2003, 07:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Heide, I know a really good one. It is better than anything I have ever seen. Covers 1000 sq feet. it is very pricy, however.

If you are thinking of something for Chris, personally, if it were me, I would want the very best.

It filters out pollens and almost all bacteria.

Laura <hr /></blockquote> Were you going to tell us what it is called?

eg8r

bluewolf
04-16-2003, 08:41 AM
It is the defender made by Filter Queen. It is very pricy. A man who worked in intensive care units said that it was the closest to the air filtration systems used for critical care patients that he had ever seen.

Due to the expense, I think that most people that get it (besides those who have money to burn) are those with serious health issues.

Laura

TomBrooklyn
04-16-2003, 08:50 AM
I have a HOLMES Hepa filter machine that I got at STAPLES. It is about 12" H x 12" W and semicircular across the front. It has three speeds and works pretty good for a medium size room, but it is noisy. I don't use it much because of that, it's just too annoying. If I was going to do it again, I would make sure I got one that was very quiet.

=Tom
P.S. I'm curious. Why didn't you put the object in the subject of the thead?

Karatemom
04-16-2003, 10:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> =Tom
P.S. I'm curious. Why didn't you put the object in the subject of the thead? <hr /></blockquote>Just being difficult, LOL.

Heide

CarolNYC
04-16-2003, 12:20 PM
Hey Heide,
I have a Kenmore by Sears-cleans 20x40 area every half hour-circulates air-has hepa filters-I tried to see the exact model, but it doesnt state it-my area of living and dining is 36x21-so thats why I bought the 20x40-depending on your area, you should be able to find something decently priced,especially during sales(lador day,etc..)ionizers actually drop the dirt in the air to the flow-if you ever blew smoke towards an ionizer, you'll see it instantly drop-I have both!:)
Go under websites of hepa air filters-Im sure you'll find something!
Good luck!
Carol:)
Received her patches from the 1-866-NYQUITS!:):):):)