PDA

View Full Version : First Cues

teen1216
04-15-2003, 07:40 PM
Got my first real cue yesterday! It is a Dufferin Phantom, and it feels amazing in my hands. I knocked a few balls around at my house with the tip unshaped and everything, and it still felt amazing. I shaped the tip last night and it is ready to go. I can't wait to try it out this weekend. It was almost like a new baby lol. What were some of y'alls first cues?

9 Ball Girl
04-15-2003, 07:56 PM
My first cue was a 21oz Dufferin that I got when I was about 18. I've since sold the shaft and kept the warped butt for sentimental reasons. (Oh yeah, the butt got warped 'cause I kept it right next to the radiator in a soft case!)

BillPorter
04-15-2003, 07:58 PM
As best I can recall, my first cue was made by the A.E. Schmidt company. They also made pool tables. They were never known for their cues, and with good reason. I think I paid about $20 for the cue. The shaft became so warped that I finally put a mark on one side and tried to always shoot with the mark turned toward the top. It was a big step up to move to a Willie Hoppe model by Brunswick.

Rod
04-15-2003, 09:39 PM
Mine was a leather wrapped Willie Hoppie by Brunswick. I believe they were $18.95 when I started, then went to $19.95. I didn't like paying that extra buck. I believe at some point they went to $24.95 but I wasn't buying them anymore.

Rod

eg8r
04-15-2003, 09:59 PM
My first cue was a Meucci sold under the name AMF (at least that is what Fl. Billiards told me it was). I was using it as a break cue for a long time once I got my newer Meucci.

eg8r

WaltVA
04-15-2003, 10:12 PM
My first cue was a 20 oz. McDermott. Shot with it for years until I graduated to a Schon.

Walt in VA

L.S. Dennis
04-15-2003, 10:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BillPorter:</font><hr> As best I can recall, my first cue was made by the A.E. Schmidt company. They also made pool tables. They were never known for their cues, and with good reason. I think I paid about $20 for the cue. The shaft became so warped that I finally put a mark on one side and tried to always shoot with the mark turned toward the top. It was a big step up to move to a Willie Hoppe model by Brunswick. <hr /></blockquote>

Ditto Ditto,

My first cue was also a Schmidt and my second was a 21oz Hoppe (which I still own by the way). I think I bought the Hoppe for $19.95 and the Brunswick case that went with it for another $12.00 as I recall. This was back in 1963 and afer playing with the Schmidt and house cues of the time, playing with the Hoppe was like switching to a car with power steering! As I mentioned I still have the Hoppe and the Brunswick case and wouldn't sell them because of sentimental reasons. I bought them both from Dorothy and Jimmy Wise.

JosefS
04-15-2003, 10:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote L.S. Dennis:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote BillPorter:</font><hr> As best I can recall, my first cue was made by the A.E. Schmidt company. They also made pool tables. They were never known for their cues, and with good reason. I think I paid about $20 for the cue. The shaft became so warped that I finally put a mark on one side and tried to always shoot with the mark turned toward the top. It was a big step up to move to a Willie Hoppe model by Brunswick. <hr /></blockquote>

Ditto Ditto,

My first cue was also a Schmidt and my second was a 21oz Hoppe (which I still own by the way). I think I bought the Hoppe for $19.95 and the Brunswick case that went with it for another $12.00 as I recall. This was back in 1963 and afer playing with the Schmidt and house cues of the time, playing with the Hoppe was like switching to a car with power steering! As I mentioned I still have the Hoppe and the Brunswick case and wouldn't sell them because of sentimental reasons. I bought them both from Dorothy and Jimmy Wise. <hr /></blockquote>

So what are you using now if I may ask.

04-16-2003, 12:41 AM
My first cue was one of those Meucci wood to wood joint copies commonly sold in bars in the 80's.. it was actually a decent cue for $25, far better than the crap they sell for $100 these days. i really feel for the poor guys that buy sticks worse than $2house cues at head shops. those Chinese aluminum fake brass cheap things command over 100 dollars around here. people buy them.

then i moved to a nice Joss(that i miss..sold it too quickly)..then a Meucci Original "Road Hustler" the kind with no stain at all and exposed original wrap that i'll never sell.. it's dated late 1983. according to those in the know it's supposed to be one of the first ten made. since then i've never owned less than 5 cues..never more than seven for superstitious reasons.

yea, a bit off topic but signifigant to me. one cue i sold to my league team captain... for his wife that i deeply regret selling. it was a 1960's Mali with a pair of tiny shafts.. probably 11.5 mm but a solid hit..terrific for bad bar boxes with heavy cue balls.. for bad cue balls and bad tables i usually prefer a 14mm shaft but that little Mali could offer more options in serious games. ebony quality splice. at the time the word was out that i bought cues.. when ebay started i had a 11mm little business. oh i miss that Mali..lol@ myself for posting this
best regards?
^v^

04-16-2003, 01:00 AM
My first cue I bought when I was 14 (1988). It was an el cheapo snooker cue with a 12mm tip. Sold it through the pool hall I played at when I got a John Parris in London (1990).

My first pool cue was the cheapest two-piece I could find... sold it to a friend who still plays with it...and quite well at that.

Now I play with a McDermott I bought through Ebay. It spent 1-2 weeks in water a year ago. I was on holiday abroad, and the guys I co-owned a 9' table didn't play at all during that time... Sooo the cue was all swollen &amp; covered in mold, the wrap was partly loose. Well I cleaned it, dried it etc... and still play with it. Maybe it has more mojo (to use electric guitarist lingo) in it now. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif It weighs at 16.8oz by the way, I wonder if it weighed more or less before... /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

q4summit
04-16-2003, 03:40 AM
It is what I am using right now!

An Eliminator. Spun fiberglass over wood. Composit shaft.

Personally I find its a step down from a good Cutec. A great starter stick. Only ran $150 and was my Christmas gift this year.

Marc

bluewolf
04-16-2003, 05:19 AM
ww, at one time was selling sceptres. He gave me one, which was a good first cue for me. I did not even know where to put my hands on the cue. I was actually worse then than I am now. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gifThis one had knobs so I knew to place my hands on the third knob. Over time, the knobs irritated me, and I got other cues.

It was a good company back then. When they sold to someone else, the cues weren't much good anymore and they seem to have gone out of business.

Laura

dg-in-centralpa
04-16-2003, 05:34 AM
My first cue was a mid 70's low end Palmer, which I eventually sold to a friend and he wrecked it. Then I went to a low end Meucci,(which I still have), then I bought a predator in '99, Richard Black in 2000, and I bought a Schon SL15 from a guy who needed money. I use the predator and Black every week for league, the Schon for a possible sale sometime.

Fred Agnir
04-16-2003, 06:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote teen1216:</font><hr> Got my first real cue yesterday! It is a Dufferin Phantom, and it feels amazing in my hands. I knocked a few balls around at my house with the tip unshaped and everything, and it still felt amazing. I shaped the tip last night and it is ready to go. I can't wait to try it out this weekend. It was almost like a new baby lol. What were some of y'alls first cues? <hr /></blockquote>Mali from their Trophy Series. Circa 1986.

I wish I still had that cue /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Fred

Kato
04-16-2003, 07:09 AM
http://www.poolndarts.com/cu.cfm?SKU=WW&amp;imgs=81

I sold it the day after I bought it. The nylon wrap through me way off.

Kato

Wally_in_Cincy
04-16-2003, 07:13 AM
Orchid (Chinese) for $50 (I overpaid /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif ) , black butt with a stamped-on fake wrap /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif about 6 or 7 years ago.

I gave it to a girl APA player about a year layer. Believe it or not that thing is still floating around the ladies' league and still shoots pretty well.

MarkUrsel
04-16-2003, 07:31 AM
First cue was a Dufferin Silver Anniversary snooker cue. I was playing more snooker than pool back then. After that was a Genuine (by McDermott) that I still use occasionally as my break stick.

Deeman
04-16-2003, 07:32 AM
Palmer 1968, $96.00, Balabuska in 1969, $175.00, Meucci 1972, Free, Meucci 1982 Free, Schon in 1997 $875.00, Meucci 1999 Free (won), now use Schon for playing, gave my brother the 1982 Meucci "Oldie", break with the 1972 Meucci "Gambler". Balabushka is nicely displayed in my parent's home in Alabama. Other sticks (6) were just "collected" but not worth a mention.

Paul_Mon
04-16-2003, 07:48 AM
First cue: 1967 or so?? - Some kind of Minnesota Fats cue.

Second cue: 1976 - Adams AA-24, dark walnut forearm and butt sleeve, MOP circular inlays and light gray/green linen wrap, still have the cue and the receipt for $61 including a soft case. The shaft is dead straight the butt is warped.

L.S. Dennis
04-16-2003, 07:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JosefS:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote L.S. Dennis:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote BillPorter:</font><hr> As best I can recall, my first cue was made by the A.E. Schmidt company. They also made pool tables. They were never known for their cues, and with good reason. I think I paid about $20 for the cue. The shaft became so warped that I finally put a mark on one side and tried to always shoot with the mark turned toward the top. It was a big step up to move to a Willie Hoppe model by Brunswick. <hr /></blockquote>

Ditto Ditto,

My first cue was also a Schmidt and my second was a 21oz Hoppe (which I still own by the way). I think I bought the Hoppe for $19.95 and the Brunswick case that went with it for another $12.00 as I recall. This was back in 1963 and afer playing with the Schmidt and house cues of the time, playing with the Hoppe was like switching to a car with power steering! As I mentioned I still have the Hoppe and the Brunswick case and wouldn't sell them because of sentimental reasons. I bought them both from Dorothy and Jimmy Wise. <hr /></blockquote>

So what are you using now if I may ask. <hr /></blockquote>

Now playing with Helmstetter model number 8716. Had it now for several years with lots of different shafts.

rackboyut
04-16-2003, 08:02 AM
My first was a Players. That thing felt like it weighed 25 ounces. But man it was great. Had it for about a year and sold it so i could afford my first Meucci. Now i have 2 Meucci's, 2 McDermotts, and now another Players. I personally think Players are great cues for first time buyers with a low budget. You get the hit and the look for less than $100.

UWPoolGod
04-16-2003, 09:28 AM
I sarted with a Spalding Big 5 cue. $20. Had that about a month before graduating to a blue McDermott. And then on to a Schon two years later.

Predator314
04-16-2003, 09:44 AM
21 oz Players. First "good" cue was a McDermott w/ the Panthers airbrushed on the butt.

Popcorn
04-16-2003, 09:49 AM
My first cue was a Brunswick Tru-balance house cue. The pool room had a lock up for personal cues and you would could buy a cue you liked, ($4.00) and keep it locked up. If I went to another room I would bring my cue. I may have played with that cue for more then a year before getting a Willie Hoppie, what a club, but it was two piece. My next cue was a big jump up, I got a Paradise cue with the ugly plastic rings. The superiority of that cue over what I had been using was big.

Rich R.
04-16-2003, 10:07 AM
My first cue was a custom cue. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Don't be impressed. It was made by a local, part-time, cue maker in northeastern Pa. He made cues more as a hobby, than a business, but he made a very nice cue.
I bought mine, second hand, from a friend for $20.00.

About eight months later, another friend of mine had a cue made by the same cue maker. I loved it from the day he got it. Fortunately for me, but unfortunately for him, he found himself in some financial difficulty about two weeks later. He asked me to buy the cue for $80, which I did gladly. I never asked how much he had paid for it.

This was in 1969. Cues have gone up in price since then. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I still have that cue, although it has been retired. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

A lot of good memories are associated with that cue. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pizza Bob
04-16-2003, 12:38 PM
Got my first cue around 1964. It was a Brunswick Medalist. Just a straight-grain maple stick (fat-butt) with a green nylon wrap. Sold it about two years later. Gave-up the game and took it up again several times in the interim. When I started playing again (the last time) around 1991 I was musing to a friend, with whom I grew up, about, "Gee, I wonder where that first cue is now?" When he shocked me and said he knew. I had sold it to him and he still had it - 25 years later. Wow! After several years of cajoling I got it from him and sent it to be restored (sentimental reasons only). The cuemaker I sent it to disappeared, like he dropped off the face of the earth. Cue went missing for four more years. In March of 1997 I had a wedding to go to in Cleveland (that's somewhere close to Hamiltucky, I think), that fell on the weekend of the VF show. I went to the show Thursday evening and all day Friday and then drove to Cleveland on Saturday. Came back on Monday to a message on my answering machine. A friend called and said, "Hey Bob, I think I found your cue....call..." and he left me a number. I called and it was the cuemaker I had originally sent it to. He apologized up &amp; down, said he'd had some trouble and lost my address, etc, etc, etc. Said the cue was done and he'd ship immediately. He was as good as his word, and it arrived two days later - along with a new Sneaky Pete (which he is known for). It was better than new. So after absences of 27 years and then 4 more, it has once again come home. It was this episode that caused me to start collecting Brunswicks from that era (actually mid-60's to mid-70's). I haven't hit a ball with that stick since I got it back.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

cycopath
04-16-2003, 01:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pizza Bob:</font><hr>So after absences of 27 years and then 4 more, it has once again come home.<hr /></blockquote>
Wow! Really cool.

Michelle
04-16-2003, 02:29 PM
My first cue was actually a custom , too. A Jerico, by Jerry Powers here in Dallas -- it was a very pretty purpleheart, but, alas, over 20 oz.

I switched to a Predator 98-3, which I sold recently, and "upgraded" to an SPWU.

I have had a Predator BK, but a friend borrowed it and couldn't live without it, so I obliged, and I recently turned a 98-1 into a break cue, with a little primping from another local cuemaker, Michael Givens of Michaelangelo cues.

Zims_Rack
04-16-2003, 02:58 PM
My first cue was also a Dufferin Phantom. I actually found it broken in a bar when I was 18, the but was in perfect shape, but the shaft was in 3 pieces. I threw away the shaft and bought a new one from a friend for 6 pack of Bud Light. I used it for about 3 months, then bought a McDermott EN-6, the teal stained cue. That was in 1996, which is when I started to play pool, now I shoot with a Prather custom cue and am waiting for my custom Jacoby J/B cue from www.onthehill.net (http://www.onthehill.net) <font color="black"> </font color>

04-17-2003, 08:56 PM
Hi guys, Pool player all the way from NZ here. My first que was given to me 3 months ago and I have been playing for 4 years. It's a cheap Scorpion. Dodgey to play with and not very well balance but it's all mine!!!. Looking forward to a predator at the end of the year though. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif