PDA

View Full Version : Antics after a missed shot

TerryArdeno
04-16-2003, 10:03 AM
My home town has a 10 table room that hosts a weekly 9-ball tournament every Sunday afternoon. This past Sunday, while in the finals match, I missed a slow roll on the 8 for great straight in po on the 9 when the 8 slowed to a dead stop with about a 1/3 of the ball hanging over the edge of the pocket. I usually just freeze & then drop my head & pause after such a blunder but this time, I don't know what happened. I grabbed my $500.00 stick with 2 hands ala Hank Aaron & sort of growled / grunted / groaned on my backswing as I prepared to smash it as hard as I could into the wall when all of a sudden the room owner (Ed) yelled at the top of his voice "BREEAAKK THAT STICK!!!) Hearing him root FOR the swing froze me & I sort of came out of whatever stupor that botched shot had induced & I started laughing as I lowed the stick. I thanked my buddy Ed for saving the stick for me. I honestly don't know what came over me but I think I temporarily went insane. Anyway, my opponant won that game but our match continued. When HE missed a shot in the final game, this quiet guy (who I had never seen exibit any outbursts) simply turned towards the open front door that leads out onto South Main Street & from table 2, threw his cue like a spear over table 2, over table 1, past the counter w/ Ed & some spectators & out the door. It made a funny sound as it landed on the street & rolled. A couple of cars dodged like they do when a ball rolls onto the street. Anyway, when I finished out the game, he calmly turned to me & shook my hand saying "Good match." Nobody else missed a beat, it was as if what had just happened was totally normal. It was a funny moment because neither of us had ever displayed such goofy conduct before & everybody here gets along real well. After the fact, those spontaneous outbursts, while not the model of acceptable behavior, added to the good times of that day by seeing how abnormal behavior is viewed as "just another day" at the pool room. Any similar stories? *Sorry this was so long

Kato
04-16-2003, 10:09 AM
I have a tendency to get animated while I play. While playing in a 9 ball league match Monday night and handling my opponent by a wide margin the girl who was keeping score asked me what was wrong with me? I didn't know, so I asked why. She said, "You should see the faces you're making, shaking your head, talking to yourself" I told her it's because I didn't know where the cue ball was going. She said, "If I got position like you I'd be a much better player". Relaxed me a little though I kept making the faces to keep her entertained.

Kato

9 Ball Girl
04-16-2003, 10:21 AM
I broke the tip off of my Viking on Saturday night! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif I broke and ran, got to the 9 ball, straight in shot, no more than 10 inches away from the CB and about 4 inches to the pocket, and I missed! It landed perfectly for my friend but I conceded the game by trying to whack the $hit out of it and then I missed that one too! That's when I banged my shaft on the rail and I saw the tip fly off. Oops. That's better than breaking my cue in half which I really have to stop myself from doing! Of course, had I been playing in a tourney, none of that would've happened. I'm a little more sane under those circumstances. LOL

Wendy~~has even had bitemarks on her shaft but winds up buffing them out. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

UWPoolGod
04-16-2003, 10:55 AM
I was playing one time and broke and ran to the 9, and dogged it (I think I have more break and runs to the 8 and 9 and missing than break and runs). This time however really angered me. I was playing my good friend a tough set, for no money. Just bragging rights/pride. I missed the 9, saw the chalk, swung my cue one handed at it...perfectly level to the table and whacked the chalk 5 tables over before it hit the wall. Least to say I had a huuuugeee dent in my shaft that never came out. I just can't believe I hit the chalk so perfectly I didn't hit the table. That was the last time that I have lost it and took it out on my equipment.

SpiderMan
04-16-2003, 11:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr>
Wendy~~has even had bitemarks on her shaft but winds up buffing them out. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif <hr /></blockquote>

And this line would normally draw out my warped sense of humor, but I like you and I'm zonked from tax time so I'll let it slide .....

SpiderMan

Paul_Mon
04-16-2003, 11:44 AM
Good question Terry you should get some interesting replies.

Two weeks ago at the Joss tournament Keith McCready was playing Earl Strickland in the finals. Earl was on the hill and Keith had just come back after being down 3 games to tie him at hill-hill. Keith makes a perfect break pocketing two balls and squatting the cue ball close to center table. The three ball rolls up as everything is slowing down and kicks the cue ball into the side pocket. Keith rears up and starts to swing the cue stick right at the table. Just then Earl jumps up and screams “Don’t do it”. I thought Earl was going to tweak but instead he says again “Don’t do it, I probably won’t get out from here”. Keith put the cue down and Earl got out.

I stopped breaking sports equipment about 25 years ago. I was playing golf and missed a short putt on the first hole. I tapped in the remaining putt and then swung the club real hard in the air. The head came off and flew about 50 feet into a swampy area where it would never be found. I looked down at the shaft in my hands and tossed that into the swamp too. What I realized then and there was that that club head could have killed someone.

Paul Mon

NBC-BOB
04-16-2003, 12:54 PM
Well I've never broken,a cue, but sure felt like it a few times over the years.I was practicing 14-1 and a guy that I've seen come in and play, but didn't really know very well
asked if I wanted to play some. I said sure why not, and he said give me 30 out of a hundred points and I said ok. The game starts and I ran 30 on him on my first shot. Well this guy went crazy,and throws his cue into the wall, and now I'm trying to get him, to calm down.He leaves and the owner tells me that he knows the guy and he's a gun collector and keeps one in his car.Well I played in that room for a couple of years after that incident, and never seen the waco anymore.The most upset I ever got was when my wife beeped me and when it vibrated on my belt,I missed the ball in a game of one pocket and lost $50. When I got home my wife was looking at me and wondering what I was ranting about.

MikeM
04-16-2003, 01:00 PM
Thanks Spidey,

I'm having a hard time keeping myself from asking Wendy if she can buff out the bite marks on my shaft, but I'll just let it slide too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

MM...maybe Naz can jump in here, if he even reads this forum. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9 Ball Girl
04-16-2003, 01:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MikeM:</font><hr> Thanks Spidey,

I'm having a hard time keeping myself from asking Wendy if she can buff out the bite marks on my shaft, but I'll just let it slide too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif<hr /></blockquote>[b]You guys are way too dirty...and I like it! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif You should see the looks I get in the poolrooms from the male patrons when I'm vigorously swiping my shaft up and down with my slicker thingy. Hahahaha. I had this one guy stop dead in his tracks and just stare. LOL

Wendy~~stop it! I'm a "good" girl! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Karatemom
04-16-2003, 01:39 PM
I'm playing leagues last night. I run 6 balls, and am looking a 7 ball straight in. I missed the darn 7, got so mad, I slammed the butt end of the cue on the floor, but wasn't paying enough attention and slammed it on my foot. Now that's smarts! I ended up winning the game anyway, so the sore foot wasn't worth all the pain.

Heide ~ thinks the next time she does that, I'll look down first to make sure my toesies are out of the way

9 Ball Girl
04-16-2003, 02:03 PM
LOL Heide. I got one up on yours:

I forget what the situation was. All I know is that I got so pissed off that I kicked the butt portion of my cue only to have it act as a pendulum when the shaft came back and whacked me in the head! That got a few laughs, including myself, and I felt a little better.

Wendy~~talk about having some sense knocked into you!

Rod
04-16-2003, 02:16 PM
Heide,
Experienced cue butt slammers always do it to the side. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif One time should be enough experience. That's about the extent I've ever done. Never hit my toes but due to a thin rubber bumper and hard floor I busted a butt plate. It was years ago and I haven't done it since.

By reading the replies it looks like some people should take a Valium before play. LOL In your case a Valium and if needed a pain killer. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rod

Rod
04-16-2003, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wendy~~stop it! I'm a "good" girl!

<hr /></blockquote>

Well you know the difference between a nice girl and a good girl. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9 Ball Girl
04-16-2003, 02:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Well you know the difference between a nice girl and a good girl. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Yes I do. A nice girl swipes her shaft up and down. A good girl puts bitemarks in it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Deeman
04-16-2003, 02:30 PM
I think I need a cold shower! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

cheesemouse
04-16-2003, 03:03 PM
Terry,
This one still rates at the top of my list...myself and a very volatile friend were playing 9-ball for blood and money, he was running out when another friend approached the table and asked to borrow his car. Mr Hairtrigger said, throwing him the keys " it's parked out back". He continued to make the run but hung the nine in the jaws where upon he when screaming out the front door of the poolhall and got hit by his own car......LOL...he was stunned but unhurt...

stickman
04-16-2003, 03:10 PM
I'm pretty even tempered. On a blundered shot, I'll usually grin, shake my head, and quietly walk back to my table. I don't remember losing it on a missed shot. I do get pretty animated on the good shots sometimes. I've been known to throw my arms up, yell, or dance a jig on particularly good shots. LOL I just can't contain the excitement. This is usually while playing friends.

Rod
04-16-2003, 03:12 PM
That's close enough! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hopster
04-16-2003, 03:28 PM
Around 1994 or so i used to play straight pool with this old guy who was 87 years old. His name was Tom Elliot and he used to be a ref during the 40,s at all the big matches. He showed me clippings of him refing Mosconis matches and a few others. The guy had more stories than Robert ludlum and he was interesting as hell. Anyway he could still play pretty good at the time and i enjoyed his company.
One day were playing to 75 and i needed 5 to go out and he steps up and shoots and misses. After the miss he yells "ARRRRRRRRR", takes his cue and scatters the balls on the table. Im dumbfounded, lol. I step up and im so hot at him but dont say nothing, that i miss !!! He steps back up and runs 15 or whatever the hell it was and goes out.
I could have choked him on the spot i was so pissed.
After about 10 mins i started laughing and said Hey Tom, ya dont like to lose much, eh ?
He just grinned.

smoothstroke
04-16-2003, 05:03 PM
I have only broken one stick in my life, after missing a straight in 9 ball for the set ( $200) I gently set my $2000 stick down and walked to the rack, asked the room owner how much was this house stick I had in my hand, he said $10, I broke in half, threw it in the garbage, walked to the counter and paid him the money and proceded to rack for the next set..the whole room broke up and I sure felt better...and still had my good cue....

Barbara
04-16-2003, 06:00 PM
Terry,

Here's a $10,000 story. And the name has been altered slightly to protect the guilty.

Tony Squadsmith is playing. Misses one ball and proceeds to start whacking his very expensive Barry Szmith 4-pointer-with-the-unbelievable-ivory-inlays on the side of the table. He breaks off the shaft.

The room owner tells him to "finish the job" (room owner just about as crazy as a sh$thouse rat), so Tony starts whacking the butt end of the cue, and manages to crack it, too.

I heard the story a while later when I stopped in the room. I saw the cue in the Szmith shop a couple weeks later. I couldn't believe the cue got fixed - the man's a genius.

I also lost a lot of respect for Tony that day.

Barbara~~~has a cue with a couple little boo-boos, but not from whacking it... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Mike H
04-16-2003, 08:16 PM
So little of what I hear happening there surprises me anymore....hahahaha....BTW, did you get a chance to see Frosty play while he was there?

Mike H
04-16-2003, 08:28 PM
I'm a horrible tosser, dropper, and snapped my break cue once. But I had an opponent who put me to shame one night. I was playing a guy from either PA or Delaware (can't figure it out....he told me 2 different stories) some pretty expensive 9-ball. It's 6AM, and we're the only two players in the room. I have him stuck 3 sets, down in the fourth, and he dogs another 9. I wasn't playing too bad, but he played the worst I had ever seen him play. He proceeds to throw his cue across the room like a javelin!! It landed between the tables pretty smoothly, lucky for him! He actually started to play a little better, but quit after that set. Anyone out there think there's something to going off to settle yourself down at the table? Anyone out there "go off" in another way to get it out of their system before they continue playing?

Vapros
04-16-2003, 09:07 PM
This is not a pool story, but since you have mentioned golf, I'd like to pass it along.

A guy finishes his round and pays off his bets, and is sitting around stewing about it. All at once he jumps up and grabs the two-wheeled cart with his clubs on it and makes a mad dash for the water hole by the 18th green, and gives the cart his best push and it goes pretty far out in the water and sinks. He sits down on the bank, mumbling to himself, and no one wants to approach him.

Finally he stops a passing caddy and speaks to him and gives him a bill from his wallet, after which the caddy goes into the pond and retrieves the cart with the bag and clubs still on it, and returns it to the unhappy golfer. The golfer unzips the pocket on the side of the bag and takes out his car keys and then makes another running start and launches the cart back into the water.

Vapros
04-16-2003, 09:10 PM
Bite marks on your shaft, you say? You will never know how tough it was to pass up a straight line like this one.......

04-16-2003, 10:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vapros:</font><hr> This is not a pool story, but since you have mentioned golf, I'd like to pass it along.

A guy finishes his round and pays off his bets, and is sitting around stewing about it. All at once he jumps up and grabs the two-wheeled cart with his clubs on it and makes a mad dash for the water hole by the 18th green, and gives the cart his best push and it goes pretty far out in the water and sinks. He sits down on the bank, mumbling to himself, and no one wants to approach him.
<hr /></blockquote>
...like a tennis player beating his racket on the court we think the easiest way to overcome failure is to beat the hell out of our expensive equipment! Luckily, I haven't done anything like that before.

CarolNYC
04-17-2003, 04:41 AM
Oh the hill-8 or 9 ball-"what a dog"-thats how I feel!
Carol~no expression!:)

CarolNYC
04-17-2003, 04:43 AM
The best reactions are Earl Stricklands and personally, I like Earl!
Carol:):):)

Carlton31698
04-17-2003, 06:41 AM
I was in a poolroom in Tuscaloosa Alabama about 10 years ago. I went with a group of friends to watch a match between one of my friends and a player from Tuscaloosa lets call him Bill (all names have been changed to protect the stupid). We ended up winning a set for 200 very fast. Bill got so mad he through his cue against a brass rail, and kicked it all the way across the poolroom. As he goes to pick up his cue hone of his buddies comes over and asked if we would play him some. We agreed and set up the game. Bill comes back over and sits down with his cue in his hand. The guy we are about to play turns to Bill and asked him if he could use his cue, This is the best part! Bill looks at him and says “You can use it if you promise not to put any dings in it, I just got it” I nearly fell out of my chair.LoL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara
04-17-2003, 07:24 AM
Mike,

This was at Mike Fusco's old place, not Tacony.

Who's Frosty?

Barbara

Mike H
04-17-2003, 08:07 AM
Which place, on the Blvd. or Maple Shade? I haven't seen Mike in about a year. Last I checked, still a bit looney.
Frosty is Scott Frost....he was in there for about a week or so right around the Marina 10-ball tourney.

Ralph S.
04-17-2003, 08:09 AM
While I can honestly say that I have never taken my anger out on my equipment, I can say that I am an excitable and animated kind of player. Usually everyone that I play with knows approximately what may or may not come out of my mouth though. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Barbara
04-17-2003, 08:29 AM
Mike,

It was the Maple Shade room where this incident occurred.

Barbara

Aboo
04-17-2003, 09:54 AM
About a year after I started playing APA I started having eye problems, it was really affecting my pool game, but I was determined to play through it.
During a match one night against a 6 (I'm a 4) I had him beat. The two ball and the 8 ball left and I was set up perfect for them. I dogged the 2-ball... where-upon a spun and started to smack my cue into the wall... the group around the table yelled and I turned to look. The 2 had slopped in the opposite corner, leaving me perfect on the 8.

I was not happy, but it was better than losing. So I got into my stance, and shot the 8-ball dead in the corner... the cue proceeded up the table and scratched.

I stood up from the table, cursed once, softly, and broke my cue over my knee. I walked over to my opponent, congratulated him on a good match (the look on his face was funny :P) and walked out of the pool room.

I have never broke anything, or even started to since then. This was about 4 years ago, I've had multiple eye surgeries since then and have started to play competitively again this year actually.

I have learned that we all suck sometimes, there's just no getting around it /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
04-17-2003, 10:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Mike H:</font><hr>
....Anyone out there think there's something to going off to settle yourself down at the table? Anyone out there "go off" in another way to get it out of their system before they continue playing? <hr /></blockquote>

Maybe, but I don't think that would be very sportsmanlike to do that with your opponent present.

I've thrown a couple of cues, broke one, and thrown more chalk than I care to remember. But only after the match is over, so I don't know if it can help you calm down during a match.

I do know it used to help me at work though. I was a manufacturing supervisor for a furniture/cabinet company and it could be very maddening. Occasionally I just had to throw, or preferably break, something. Fortunately there was always a lot of scrap parts around which were suitable for smashing. I always felt better afterwards. I think it burns off adrenaline or something.