PDA

View Full Version : Who also golfs?

UWPoolGod
04-16-2003, 11:28 AM
I fell in love with golf before pool...three months before...and have struggled finding time for both. One summer I was playing every day for free (used to TA for the high school golf coach), and got my handicap down to around a 4. Now days since I play maybe two or three times a month with typical Seattle weather, I shoot around 82. What pisses me off about loving both, is that I had my clubs in my trunk while I was playing in a pool tourney. After winning $70 I came out to find my car had been broke into and my clubs/fishing gear/watch were stolen. I needed a new set anyway. So I bought some 1/2" longer Cleveland TA7's with Launcher drivers, Cleveland bag and Oddysey putter.
How much do you play, and what do you usually shoot?

Todd

Kato
04-16-2003, 12:05 PM
I really like to play but have "0" natural talent for the game. If I play once a week and go to the range 3 times a week I can play in the mid 90's. When I play 2 times a year like right now my scores are around 105. It's just something I do with my non-pool playing friends and my Dad.

Kato

Paul_Mon
04-17-2003, 08:02 AM
I play 9 holes once a week in a league and usually score around 45. So that make me a bogey golfer. I started very young and have learned to enjoy the game more for relaxation vs. competition. I don't work nearly as hard to improve at golf as I do at pool. One thing I'm really looking forward to is PGA Championship is being held at Oak Hill in Rochester. I have two Clubhouse passes for the entire week.

Paul Mon

Perk
04-18-2003, 10:26 AM
I am definately a golfer. Depends on how ya look at it, probably better at golf than pool. I hit the course as much as I can, and it limits my pool during the summer. With my family, I get usually two nights during the week year long for something. Summer= Golf/Softball Winter=Pool/Pool. On the weekends I can usually get a day to do either.

As far as scoring goes, I am usually at a 38-40 cap on fairly open courses, and usually 40-42 on cluster courses. I play better on longer courses than short, it is easier for me to hit full irons into the greens than hitting half wedges. Off the tee I range between 260-300 depending on the day and conditions. My goal this summer is to squeeze a Nike Driver 9.5 degree into my bag without my lady catchin it. I currently drive with a Cobra 10.5, but used a friends Nike last summer a few times, and it is an incredible difference.

Still looking to break into the 60's though. Havent figured out the putting consistently to put it all together.

UWPoolGod
04-18-2003, 10:54 AM
Yeah my best score ever was -1 at Heron Lakes Blue Course in Portland, OR. Chipped in out of the bunker for my birdie, and parred the rest of the holes. One of those perfect days where every drive was center cut, and every approach made the green. Nice at least being able to two putt for par.

Like you my putting has to definitely improve. They are remodeling my favorite course here in Seattle. It will look super when finished.

Rod
04-18-2003, 10:54 AM
The best I played was a 7 hdcp on good courses from the long tees. I loved golf, just as much as pool maybe more. I rarely play now and lower back surgery didn't help my back swing length. LOL Distance was never a real problem but now it is a problem. I still hit my little 60 degree wedge pretty sweet, problem is i can't use it if I'm 220 off the tee. LOL

Rod

Perk
04-18-2003, 10:57 AM
I have went out in 33 before, only to come in with a forty something....lol

I can say that for the past 5 years, I have yet to come close to a 50 or so. If I get to that point, I usually about explode and then I think of the "thread" about Pool antics, and I dont have time to write on a golf forum.

stick8
04-18-2003, 12:18 PM
hi fellows: I am 65yr and still play both golf, pool .enjoy both, in my prime my best golf score for 18- was66. and have 1 hole in one, my best score in pool was 2300 of apache indian, in germany while in army.lucky i did not get scalped ha he was good guy.i am playing in our v.f.w. state golf tourny in june, have played for the last 18yr. OLD MAN STICK

#### leonard
04-18-2003, 04:59 PM
Rod I always said I was sorry I didn't live next door to Arnold Palmer instead of Joe Canton. I caddied from 9 till 21, quit playing golf at 14 I was 4ft6 and 70 lbs. I was shooting in the low 90s at the private club where I caddied. When I graduated high shool I was 5ft 2 and 86 lbs. Over that summer I had a large growth spurt and at 18 I was 5ft7 and 120lbs. I was too involved with pool to switch to Golf, I should have followed Larry Nelson move he started playing Golf at 26 and became a pro in a few years. Later when I started playing golf again people would always say when I made a great putt it was the pool that made me a good putter.####

04-18-2003, 05:02 PM
Lugging bags around as a kid probably cured me of ever wanting to play much. Or maybe it was my incurable baseball-swing slice.

But I always thought it was hilarious that your typical 15 handicapper would be hot to fantasize that fans were lining the 18th fairway and Jim McKay was whispering in the background while he consulted with some hungover sub-duffer with bad hair (me) about whether to use a 5 iron from 160 yards.

wolfdancer
04-18-2003, 09:04 PM
I've been playing golf long before I wandered into a pool room. Played a few rounds with Kim Davenport (hope that is eye is healing), and 9 holes with Gerda, her first time on a course. Couple of weeks ago, I was waiting for my new Blackheart cue to arrive at the pool hall, and the regulars were as eager to see it as I was. Well, the package arrived, and not checking the shipping label, I opened it up in front of everybody, and there was my "2 ball-putter" instead (I have my packages delivered to the room) Took quite a ribbing about that "which end do you chalk up", etc
The cue arrived a few days later....nice workmanship..

nAz
04-18-2003, 09:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote afternooncaddy:</font><hr> Lugging bags around as a kid probably cured me of ever wanting to play much. Or maybe it was my incurable baseball-swing slice.

But I always thought it was hilarious that your typical 15 handicapper would be hot to fantasize that fans were lining the 18th fairway and Jim McKay was whispering in the background while he consulted with some hungover sub-duffer with bad hair (me) about whether to use a 5 iron from 160 yards. <hr /></blockquote>

Hey Caddy have you ever played @ Wingfoot in Westchester?
My lord i shot a round there back in '96 what and awesome place I'd love to play there again one day! ( Have not played in 3 years /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif )

My best round was an 89 /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif not great but it was only the 2nd time I played at a golf course.

04-19-2003, 09:01 AM
nAz,
Nope, never managed to get to Wing Foot ... played Leadfoot in Lodi ... shot a 68, but had a rough time on the back nine.

bluewolf
04-19-2003, 09:19 AM
Once in a while. Have my own clubs but they are cheapos.

Laura

04-19-2003, 09:37 AM
nAz,

Seriously, though, 89 at Winged Foot without years of lessons? Damned good ... I remember watching the Open on the tube a couple of times it was there, and it was like they were shooting pool on a ping-pong table with 3-inch pockets. Rough course. That's some hand-eye coordination ... would never try you in 3-card monte.