PDA

View Full Version : DCC newspaper article Dated Feb 2nd 2003

Tom_In_Cincy
04-16-2003, 11:34 AM
From a post at AZbilliards

Its like a Clink Eastwook Dirty Harry movie.. if the review says if you liked the first one.. you'll like this one.. enough said..
http://www.courier-journal.com/features/2001/02/feature20010202.html

Popcorn
04-16-2003, 08:25 PM
Doesn't sound like it painted pool in a very good light. Any time you talk to a guy from a newspaper you run the risk them printing some goofy preconceived ideas out of left field. They are total idiots. I once did an interview for the business section of a local paper about the poolroom business. I was a real idiot thinking I was getting some free advertising. The guy called my place seedy, and scary to enter, not a place for the family. He described me as a somewhat underworld type. I called my attorney and he told me not to talk to newspapers again.

MikeM
04-17-2003, 10:32 AM
Popcorn,

Why do you call this guy an idiot? It seems to me that he painted a pretty accurate portrait of the pool world. What specifically do you think he misrepresented? It's a very well-done piece IMO.

MM

Popcorn
04-17-2003, 12:02 PM
I think every story has a positive side and a negative side. He chose the negative. I would not think a story like that did pool any good. He seems to even have chosen the most negative quotes to use. He arrived with a preconceived idea and went about writing it that way. Try to read it objectively as someone who knows nothing about pool and see what kind of impression you get. I remember the first time I got an accountant and told him the business I was in. He asked me if I was not afraid of all the criminal people with guns and so forth that would come into the poolroom. He was not some moron, just an average guy who knew nothing more about a poolroom then what he saw on the "Beretta" TV show. You may be surprised what the average person thinks a poolroom is. It is still hard in many cities to open a poolroom due to the stigma attached. Stories like that one do nothing to help, no story would be better then that one. In my opinion.

MikeM
04-17-2003, 01:46 PM
Popcorn,

I did read it objectively. The only part that seems overly negative to me is his treatment of Corey Deuel. Corey obviously rubbed him the wrong way. But, if you'll read through the archives you'll see he's not alone there.

I still think the article is very fair. He gave a pretty accurate portrayal of what goes on at these tournaments. It's not his job to help promote pool. It IS his job to go to the event, observe what he sees and write about it. I think he was insightful as far as pool being more comfortable "out of the mainstream". He pretty well captures a lot of the warts that keep pool where it is.

You may be right that no story would have been better for pool than this one, but that's certainly not the author's fault. He's a columnist and as such it's he supposed to offer HIS view of what he sees. Again, I think he was nothing but truthful.

I know what the average person thinks about the pool world. I was not surprised when my wife's professor put down her plan to write her MBA thesis on starting a pool hall by asking if she thought there were enough of those kind of people around here to sustain it.

MM /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ross
04-17-2003, 02:16 PM
Popcorn, for the most part I have to agree with MikeM - the article seemed to be a fairly accurate depiction of the usual pool tourney scene and the current state of pool.

I love pool, but it is true that there is little money and that most (but not all) of the players trying to make a living playing pool are, to put it nicely, pretty rough around the edges. Many seem to have more than the usual share of social, monetary, and emotional difficulties. Some are self-destructive physically and few have much in the way of higher education. And some are just hustlers who think of little beyond how to make the next score.

That's just the way it is. I still tend to like them and find them just as interesting as my educated, hard-working, health-conscious, happily married buddies. But it would be hard to tell the truth about the tournament pool scene and not paint this major part of the picture.

I guess the positive side that could have been noted is that there are some top players (examples- Mika and Tony Robles) who do appear to be fairly well adjusted and to have some fulfillment in life outside of pool. But they are the exception rather than the rule, IMO.

Interesting conversation with Corey. He used to seem like a fairly happy-go-lucky kind of guy, but for the last year of so I've noticed that he seems like he is just going through the motions. I mentioned this to a friend several months ago. I wonder what's up with him?

Sally
04-17-2003, 02:22 PM
"Unglamorous" doesn't begin to describe this scene. It's like being at a convention of extras from a Martin Scorsese film, right down to the guy checking tickets at the door, a burly man in a sweat suit and pompadour right out of "The Sopranos."

Hi Mike! We met in Vegas last year. I'm sorry, but I didn't like this article at all. I found it to be very negative and quite untrue, for the most part. Just my two cents, but I was at the DCC for the whole stretch. I think that guy was way off in his interpretation of it, which is, of course, his right. My personal opinion of that writer is that while he may be a good writer, he obviously knows nothing of pool.

04-17-2003, 02:42 PM
Popcorn,

Guess story may seem a little grim or cliched, but what amazed me most was seeing so much space devoted to the game in a large-circulation newspaper. I've been in the news business for 15 years and have yet to edit a single story on the subject. Can't be all bad.

TomBrooklyn
04-17-2003, 02:43 PM
Any publicity is good publicity, mostly.

Nostroke
04-17-2003, 02:52 PM
Not that it makes much difference but the article appears to be dated 2001. I dont recall anyone with a pompadour at the door the last 2 years either.

I have to agree with Mike. Personally Im sick of the OPPOSITE ARTICLE which i have been reading for 30 years which usually starts off

"Pool Rooms are no longer the dingy smoke filled rooms of yesteryear. In todays rooms, blah blah upscale, blah blah, good food, females etc.

It was refreshing to read something more realistic for a change. Of course if i owned a room i might feel different.