PDA

View Full Version : Consistency is the Key But..........

c.holtz009
04-17-2003, 09:45 PM
What can cause a player to lose the consistency of shooting well?
Normally I am a very solid player, however, as of late I've been "way off".
What are some common things, or uncommon for that matter, that can cause a player to shoot bad, and lower his/her confidence?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx!!

Sid_Vicious
04-17-2003, 09:55 PM
You've temporarily forgotten the reason you're playing. Maybe it's fun, maybe it's to prove yourself, maybe it's money but it's personal and whatever the reason, you've slipped on "feeling" it at that moment...sid

04-17-2003, 10:40 PM
environment is the main key. If you find yourself slipping and, potentially, going backwards in your game, try to get back to basics. Play the simple set and the simple shots. Evironment can effect this greatly. The best out of our APA NZ teams have the uncanny ability to switch off the outside world but others (Myself included) are not that lucky. You may find that the people you are playing with have changed or even not changed enough. You may also find that something in your stance may be out, something tiny that you are not adjusting for.

Another Idea is to play on as many different table in as many different clubs as time and money permits.

Hope this helps /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

randyg
04-18-2003, 06:52 AM
CHOLTZ009: Take note, Sid is right on one of the areas. There are three areas in your game that you must examine.

Psychological-Mental-Physical.

Whether it's our mechanics,
attitude or knowledge of the game, it is up to us to know/understand and correct......Randyg

Kato
04-18-2003, 07:12 AM
When I lost my eyes I lost my game.

Kato

c.holtz009
04-18-2003, 07:18 AM
Thanks for all the good advice. I just realized that I'm missing many shots just slightly to the right.
I'm going to work on mechanics tonight. Hopefully I can work it out.
There seems to be this helpless feeling on the table when this happens.

DSAPOLIS
04-18-2003, 07:36 AM
Confidence is the prerequisite to consistencey. It is impossible to possess consistency without confidence. Confidence is easily defined as faith in your abilities. It is faith in the fact that we will be successful. If you have lossed your confidence, you have lost faith in yourself and your ability to be successful at the table. My advice is to start looking at the the factors that exist below the surface. They are:

Goals
Determination
Commitment
Attitude
Concentration
Knowledge
Preparation

These factors support the foundation of our game that are our fundamentals, that include:
Stroke
Stance
Breathing
Sighting
Weight Distribution
Bridge
Follow Through

I have a chapter from Building the Perfect Game posted in the files section at my yahoo group that has a pyramid structure. If you would like a copy of it, let me know. In the center of the pyramid is Confidence. The Apex of the traingle (Invincibility) is supported by all of the other blocks in the structure. If one block starts getting cracks, the entire structure is weakened to some extent. Consistency is located further up the pyramid than confidence. When you manage your game you must ensure that the foundation is strong enough to support the structure. The same is said for each level in the pyramid. There are stabilizers, cornerstones, and center blocks in each level. Each Block in the pyramid must have substance, or it is just an empty block. Me thinks you may have a few empty blocks somewhere in your pyramid. Time to restructure and do some maintenance on your game. Develop each of the 35 blocks in the structure in much the same way a bodybuilder would develop a muscle group.

Wally_in_Cincy
04-18-2003, 08:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote c.holtz009:</font><hr> Thanks for all the good advice. I just realized that I'm missing many shots just slightly to the right..... <hr /></blockquote>

You might want to get the book "Black Belt Billiards". There are stroke drills in there that can make your stroke and ball-pocketing more consistent.

CrispyFish
04-18-2003, 09:17 AM
Well, I've been lurking for a while, but I just had to reply to this one!

Honestly, I've found HUNGER to be the single most devastating factor to my game. I might not even realize that I'm hungry, but it can destroy my game.

Last week I was playing an even race to 4 in 8-ball and lost the first match horribly -- I couldn't aim if my life depended on it. All it took was an orange soda to pick up my game and let me win four in a row!

cycopath
04-18-2003, 09:31 AM
I'll attest to that one. If I'm hungry my game goes down the drain. But I can't be stuffed either. Both pull my attention away from the table.

DSAPOLIS
04-18-2003, 10:15 AM
Great point about eating. It also depends on what you eat. Several years ago I remember reading an artilce in Golf Digest about Fred Couples having concetration problems towards the end of his round. It was suggested that at the turn around, he eat a bananna on his stroll between the 9th and 10th holes. It did the trick! I'll do a search and see if I can find the link to the article. It was quite interseting.

MikeM
04-18-2003, 11:10 AM
I recently was going through a stretch where I was playing very well, but occasionally I would miss everything to the right. I tried and tried to correct it by going back to the basics but couldn't figure out what was wrong. I had a lesson with Scott Lee a few weeks ago and was shooting pretty well as I progressed through his speed drills until I tried to hit at break speed. Then Everything started going right again. Scott had me concentrate on slowing my backswing down on my harder speed shots and voila! I was just rushing things when trying to hit with some speed.

I hope your problem is just as simple but also suggest a second pair of experienced eyes to help you out.

MM

pooltchr
04-18-2003, 11:25 AM
As a BCA instructor, your's is probably the most frequently heard comment I get from students. Consistency comes from doing the same thing the same way every time. There are really only two ways to miss a shot. You are either not aiming at the proper target, or there is a flaw in your stroke. The best suggestion I have is to contact a BCA instructor in your area. They are trained to work with you to determine any problems and devise a plan to overcome it. You can find a list of active instructors listed by state at www.bca-pool.com (http://www.bca-pool.com)
Click on "Play" then on "Instruction" and find the list of active instructors listed by state.
Once you have a consistent pre shot routine and stroke, you will be amazed and how quickly your game improves. Just as a golfer will go to a golf pro for help with his game, it only makes sense to get a qualified instructor to help with your pool game.
Good Luck, and Hit 'em well.
Steve

c.holtz009
04-19-2003, 07:52 AM
You know, I would love to have some time with an instructor, however, where I am, there are none. I guess its just a drawback of being in a small community.
Another thing I've noticed with my game is I don't "feel" comfortable when I get down on a shot. I think it's only because my confidence in down from this dry spell. I am looking to see if my stance is off, but I don't think so.

Barbara
04-19-2003, 08:42 AM
Randy G is taking his Pool School on the road to Conneticut, June 27-28-29. Contact him at randyg@poolschool.com for details.

If that's not convenient, then contact Fran Crimi in New York City via her phone number on the BCA website.

Either way, you can't lose!

Barbara /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif