PDA

View Full Version : Orlando Pool Hall Recommendations?

ckaustin
04-17-2003, 10:23 PM
I'm planning a trip to Orlando next week and would like to check out the local pool scene. Can anyone point me to the places that will have tournaments and/or gambling action?

Nostroke
04-18-2003, 08:12 AM
Pro Billiards on Bennett near Colonial is the action room at the moment. Pretty ordinary room otherwise. I think they they still have an open tournament once a month but not sure.

DebraLiStarr
04-19-2003, 02:31 PM
There is also Jimmy's on Orange Blossom Trail and Beach Club Billiards in Kissimmee. There is also a place in Downtown Kissimmee called Q-topia, but I think they have changed the name, but it's easy to find.

Deb

eg8r
04-19-2003, 11:01 PM
Pro Billiards is the place to be if you want to get some action. All you need to do is ask the guy at the counter to give someone a call. If you want all you can get, ask for Louis Viera. I was watching him last night run 3 racks of 9 ball shooting 1 handed. LOL, he is a blast to watch.

There are handicapped tourneys there on Mondays, Thursdays and Sundays. One Sunday a month is an open tournament and it is tough to win. They also have a 1 pocket tournament on Wednesday nights.

Jimmys on OBT - Absolute dump. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I say that nicely but the place is terrible. Actually might be a good place to find action, but I would rather play in day light and stay very late. It is in a very bad side of town (Oakridge is a pretty tough area).

There is another pool hall over near the University out past the Expressway, and you should be able to get some action.

Beach Billiards is a has been in my book. You might like it I am not sure. It is way the heck out of the way. Unless you are planning on already being in Kissimmee, then don't go. It is an hour to get out there and you just fight traffic the whole time. This is tourist heaven.

If you cannot get a good game at Pro Billiards, then you are probably not really trying to hard. There are C players all the way to A players there playing for money every day. If they are not playing when you get there talk to the bartender and he can get someone in there or tell you when they will be back.

I am in Orlando right now, and last night guess who walked in to Pro Billiards? None other than Charlie Williams. I stayed a little to see if he would play but he did not while I was there.

Other than that, take the 1.5 hour drive to Tampa and head the Planet 9 Ball. There are even more great players out there including Buddy Hall, Richie Rich, Richard Broumpton and a whole cast of others.

Enjoy,
eg8r

Kato
04-20-2003, 12:07 AM
Luis can play a little one handed huh Ed. I've seen.

Kato

eg8r
04-20-2003, 01:57 PM
Well, I guess you could say he plays a little. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

He plays great 1 handed.

eg8r

DebraLiStarr
04-20-2003, 04:54 PM
Eg8r was so positive in his approach and said:

Beach Billiards is a has been in my book. You might like it I am not sure. It is way the heck out of the way. Unless you are planning on already being in Kissimmee, then don't go. It is an hour to get out there and you just fight traffic the whole time. This is tourist heaven.

Pro Billiards is not the only place in Orlando to get a good game of pool. I recommended two places that are right on the gateway, mainly because most people that visit Orlando are staying within close proximity of Beach Club Billiards and Q-Topia, and nowhere near Pro Billiards. One of the rooms that you bashed is run by a close family member of mine, and Blackjack used to be the house pro there as well. Though Jimmy's is not what it used to be, it is still a pretty good place to find action, and they do have tournaments there. One of the reasons local rooms suffer is because of posts like yours. Not every room is ideal for everybody, and just because a certain environment does not suit your taste, does not mean that someone else may not find it enjoyable. As for bad neighborhoods, one of the owners of Pro Billiards was abducted and murdered in broad daylight right outside the business. There's no such thing as bad neighborhoods, just bad people.

eg8r
04-20-2003, 10:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One of the rooms that you bashed is run by a close family member of mine, <hr /></blockquote> This does not matter or tell a prospective patron how good a room is, so I did not ask if I would hurt any feelings just in case you might own one of the halls. I just tell it like I see it.
[ QUOTE ]
One of the reasons local rooms suffer is because of posts like yours. <hr /></blockquote> This will come across mean, but so it goes...This is quite an ignorant post. If you really think a local pool room does not do well because of some obscure post on the internet, then you might want to look at you establishment and make a few changes. If my opinion does ruin your family members room, I am sorry but I probably called it right. I am in no means any type of authority, so if my post brings down the house, well then the place had to have been bad already.
[ QUOTE ]
Not every room is ideal for everybody, and just because a certain environment does not suit your taste, does not mean that someone else may not find it enjoyable. <hr /></blockquote> I don't care if you find it enjoyable or not. I think the environment should be explained prior just incase someone does not like that environment. Since somewhere in your post you mention of vistors to Orlando staying in the vacation sections of town, do you really think tourists want to go to the seediest side of town to play pool? Get a life. I am sorry if Jimmys is the house your family member owns (I know you did not say they owned Jimmys) but I really don't care. That area of town is poor and not a real good place to send visitors without fore-warning them of the dangers.
[ QUOTE ]
As for bad neighborhoods, one of the owners of Pro Billiards was abducted and murdered in broad daylight right outside the business. <hr /></blockquote> Yes this is a sad event and things do go bad, however that area of town is nothing like Oakridge (I hope I am not ruining a community now).

By the way, what was so positive in your post to start it out the way you did? I also remember your wonderful insight when replying to Fran, and you so boldly stating that her opinion should not dictate the board and we can say what we want. Well debbie practice what you preach. I said what I said and sorry it ruin your family business. I am not the minority in my feelings for the pool halls you mentioned. Beach Billiards does alright business because that is all you have out in Kissimmee. Otherwise you take the 30 to 45 minute drive to another pool hall.

eg8r

DSAPOLIS
04-21-2003, 12:14 AM
Just for the record, I'd like to say that this post went to hell in a hand basket. When recommending rooms, there is a fine line between giving your opinion and outright bashing. My family is also involved in the the same business that Deb referred to (her sister is married to my brother). Also, it's not Jimmy's in Oakridge (which by the way is not half as bad as Ed makes it out to be). I think we do a disservice to the entire industry when we bash any billiard establishment. Give a small list and let the asker make his own decision. In Memphis, I always go to The Rack on Lamar. It's in a REALLY bad neighborhood. I know the owner (Harold Noe), I'm treated well while I'm there, and I know that Harold works his butt off to keep the place maintained, AND he provides for the players in good equipment, and well run tournaments that pay good $$$. I could go to High Pockets in Memphis, but I choose not to. It's not what I prefer. I don't slam High Pockets, I just make my own choice as I do in every city I go to. If you don't like Debra, (and believe me, you are not alone) do not take it out in a post that will effect others that have nothing to do with it. Beach Club Billiards is a well run establishment that has had its doors open for a long time now. Of course the current management differs from the previous management, but that is to be expected. It's not a high level gambling atmosphere, but then again, understand that has been done on purpose, not by accident, or by deficiency or location. Pro Billiards has it's advantages, but if I wanted to, I could write a list as long as my arm about things I hate about the place, but I fail to see where that would be a service to anyone, as everyone should be able to come to their own conclusions.

eg8r
04-21-2003, 08:05 AM
Without going back and reading my posts, I cannot remember where I was bashing a pool establishment. You said it yourself, Beach Billiards is not what it used to be, I called it a has been.

I do not remember bashing Jimmys, I was bashing the neighborhood. I still believe, whether you like it or not, the neighborhood should be explained if you are going to send someone there. Jimmys has been around a long time and has some great history for me also. All I am simply doing is letting everyone know, that the pool hall is located in a poor side of town. You have a very serious chance of getting hurt down in that side of town if you are not paying attention to your surroundings. I am not even bringing up all the other stuff you might catch down there.

By all means go play where you want. I am sure you can get a game at any of the local Trick shots, Pro Billiards, Beach Billiards, Backstage Billiards, Jimmy's, Q-topia (if it is still there), and any bar in town. There are many more pool halls in town and they all have their advantages and disadvantages.

eg8r

Voodoo Daddy
04-21-2003, 09:34 AM
The truth is thst Pro Billiards is the best room to hang in...Jimmys is a "old school" pool room and has its place in Florida pool folklore. If it wasnt to Nick Varner, Luis Viera and Mike DeStefano &lt;all very good friends of mine&gt;, that town is /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gifnit-fuggin-heaven/ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif!!!

Predator314
04-21-2003, 10:11 AM
Check out the Doll House on Orange Blossom Trail. I could have sworn I saw a pool table in there. Maybe I just spent enough to buy a pool table.

Ward
04-21-2003, 12:55 PM
It pains me to agree with Ed but I would want to know if a place is in a bad part of town.

Later

eg8r
04-21-2003, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It pains me to agree with Ed <hr /></blockquote> Why?

eg8r

Predator314
04-22-2003, 11:32 AM
If you're a Moose Lodge member, there is a Lodge on Orange Blossom Trail that has tables. They are free too. Just not the best. When I played in the internationals down there last year, they brought in about 30 bar tables and left those tables (8 footers I believe) as practice tables.

eg8r
04-22-2003, 04:07 PM
Those tables are quite worn out (last time I was there). I had the wonderful opportunity to see Jeanette Lee play against Steve Mizerak in a 9-ball exhibition match at that Moose Lodge. This was done for the APA in Orlando. It was great. We sat behind Mike Sigel and Nick Varner and got to hear the two of them chat about the match.

eg8r