PDA

View Full Version : Schmelke?

Geoff
04-18-2003, 12:03 PM
Any opinions on Schmelke Cues? I dont know much about them, my fiance is looking for a cue, and she likes the look of one of the Schmelke's ...I'm interested in opinions on their quality, how they play, etc.

Hopster
04-18-2003, 12:30 PM
I had one of their sneaky petes, didnt care for it at all.
I just recently gave it to a friend of mine to get rid of.

pooltchr
04-18-2003, 12:34 PM
I have been shooting with a Lucasi for years and LOVE it. In my opinion, you can't beat them for the money! Have her take a look at them.
Steve

ChrisW
04-18-2003, 12:45 PM
I've been using a Schmelke for about 8 years for breaking. Even though I have been using it that long I can not really suggest buying one. I would buy a dufferin for the same price and get a better quality cue.

I have used the Schmelke on some bar tables with heavy cue balls that I could not get any action off of with my shooting cue. I think that was simply because I had to hit harder with a heavy cue ball and my breaker held up better. ???

Chris

Geoff
04-18-2003, 01:23 PM
its looking like the general consensus is its not a real high quality cue? Sounds like there are better quality cues for the same money?

Rod
04-18-2003, 01:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Geoff:</font><hr> its looking like the general consensus is its not a real high quality cue? Sounds like there are better quality cues for the same money? <hr /></blockquote>

That would be correct.

04-18-2003, 02:03 PM
Contrary to other opinions expressed here, I think Schmelkes are OK cues--at least they were the last time I messed around with lower end cues about six or eight years ago. They usually play OK and are reasonably durable. I haven't seen near the number of problems with Schmelke as I have other entry-level (and some not-so-entry-level) cues.

One problem that is common with Schmelke cues, though, is that they tend to be big (HUGE) at the joint and frequently won't fit in a Porper case. Don't buy a Schmelke and a Porper case.

I wouldn't mind adding one of the old, fancy (points and lots of veneers) Schmelkes to my collection somed day.

bell
04-19-2003, 10:29 PM
Nyet, comrade.

Chalks Billiards
04-20-2003, 06:48 PM
They are a decent cue for the money. I have sold many over the years and never had one come back for any mfg. defect. For an entry level cue you could do a lot worse.