PDA

View Full Version : Will Barry Bonds ruin pool?

wolfdancer
04-18-2003, 08:37 PM
Barry's always been an all-star, but these last few years; he's all-world. Barry is now the natural,Roy Hobbs...and like Mr. hobbs, he has a special bat..unlike Hobbs, dozens of them. Barry's are made in Canada, by a company called Sams Bats, and they are made from Maple, not ash.
AND..it's catching on..there's both the A-bat, and the X-bat, and several others. They're using our precious shaft maple to make baseball bats!!!! And since we're already paying around $300 for a Joss shaft; what's the price gonna be when the wood gets scarce? We'll be buying shafts on the installment plan. Maple will cost more then gold, and we'll go off the gold standard and onto the maple standard, like Canada (and they're broke)Wait...we're already off the gold standard???? what's backing up the dollar?? I see it now "In god we trust"

nAz
04-18-2003, 08:44 PM
We can always go with the gay EURO instead of the Dollor. remember that why we at war with Iraq.

wolfdancer
04-18-2003, 09:29 PM
hey naz, you've come up with some neat sites...keep up da good work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kato
04-18-2003, 09:34 PM
Barry switched to the maple bat a few years ago. They are stronger than ash. Several major leaguers use them now. Rich Auerilla uses one I noticed. Juiced ball? Nope, juiced bat.

Kato

nAz
04-18-2003, 11:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> hey naz, you've come up with some neat sites...keep up da good work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <hr /></blockquote>

Okee Dokee /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I will try I have not been up to doing much lately but for you i will spam away

Rich R.
04-19-2003, 07:59 AM
I may be wrong, but I believe a lot of players have switched to the maple bats. However, I don't know if they are stronger.
I see more bats just shattering on impact, much different than the bats of years past. The maple may be harder, but it is also more brittle. IMHO, that is why they are shattering. I think it is only a matter of time, before a player gets seriously injured by one of these exploding bats.

Kato
04-19-2003, 11:47 PM
You may be right Rich but I'm under the impression it is the ash that is shattering. I don't think the wood is nearly as good. Unless of course you are Sammy Sosa. I think your average player does not get the same lumber as a Derek Jeter or Sosa.

I've watched Barry use that bat for years now and I don't think he's shattered one yet. Now not many pitchers come in on his hands because he's so quick. That might be another reason.

Kato

Voodoo Daddy
04-20-2003, 04:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> I think your average player does not get the same lumber as a Derek Jeter or Sosa. Kato <hr /></blockquote>

LOOK everyone, he mentioned a YANKEE with being nasty...write this down. A day that will go down in KATO-BASEBALL-YANKEE bashing history!!!

Rich R.
04-20-2003, 04:34 AM
Kato, I certainly don't know for sure, which players are using ash and which are using maple. All I know is, years ago, when all the bats were made from ash, you never saw a bat explode into four or five pieces. Sure, ash bats would break, but in a much different way.

It would be very interesting to find out which bats are exploding so violently. Is it the ash? Is it the maple? Are other factors involved and is it both?

Until such a study is done, I have to believe it is the maple bats that are exploding.

Kato
04-20-2003, 09:16 AM
Voodoo, did you mean without? Sure Jeter is a great player, I know this. As a baseball fan Cooperstown is littered with Yankee greats. Ask my Dad, a life long Red Sox fan who the greatest hitter ever was and he'll tell you Ted Williams. Ask him who the greatest player was ever, he'll tell you it's a toss up betweeen DiMaggio, Mantle, and Mays.

Kato

PS. Nomar is a better shortstop/hitter than Jeter.

Kato
04-20-2003, 09:18 AM
Rich, as of now the maple bats are easy to spot. I believe there is only 1 manufacturer (at least I've only seen one). Look at the bat Bonds uses and you will have seen them all. For now, that's what they look like.

Kato~~~please consult your ESPN programing guides for the next Barry Bonds telecast.

Kato
04-21-2003, 08:21 AM
I saw Raphael Palmero sitting on the bench last night, it was the same style bat as Bonds. Another future Hall of Famer switched to maple.

Kato

SpiderMan
04-21-2003, 09:46 AM
$300 for a Joss shaft, eh? I don't think the price of maple is a big factor in that one! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan