PDA

View Full Version : First concert....best concert

Wally_in_Cincy
04-19-2003, 11:10 AM
The Doors thread got me thinking. What was your first concert? What was the best concert you have seen.

My first was 1973 or 1974 at Cincinnati Gardens.

Opening act Edgar Winter's White trash with Rick Derringer. Before "Frankenstein"

Second act Alice Cooper. They were blowing up big time as this was right after "Eighteen" came out.

Final act Black Sabbath "Master of Reality" tour. They had a hard time following Alice Cooper. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Price $4.50

Best concert, Paul McCartney and Wings 1977 at Riverfront Coliseum.

also Pink Floyd, "Animals" tour, The Who in 1975, seen Rush about 4 times and they were better each time.

Montrose with Sammy Hagar at Dayton's Victory Theater right when their first album came out. Ronnie was powered by 6 Marshall stacks. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also Lou Reed at the Victory about 1978

Saw Budgie at a small club in Dayton about 1978

Finally saw my favorite band Wishbone Ash in Chicago in 1999.

Wally~~former garage band drummer

9 Ball Girl
04-19-2003, 11:19 AM
My first concert was a Merengue band (Cuco Valoy) at Radio City Music Hall. This was back in the early 80s.

I've seen Santana perform at the band shell at Jones Beach in Long Island, NY. I was kind of disappointed because I thought he was going to do all of the old stuff but he wound up performing his whole Smooth album with 3 old songs. That was back in July 2000.

The last concert I went to and it is by far the best one to date, was Eric Clapton at Madison Square Garden in June of 2001. Whew! When he switched up to his electric guitar, Whoo Boy! Were we in for a treat!

I'm into Classic Rock so my concert goings are few and far between. I missed out on the Rollings Stones when they were in NY. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Oh, I forgot to mention that the World Trade Center used to have lunchtime concerts everday every Summer. Each day was dedicated to a genre. I always went for the Oldies which would include performers from the 50s-70s. Of course, it was touch and go on the original members, but good stuff nonetheless.

dg-in-centralpa
04-19-2003, 11:22 AM
My first concert was Chicago before Terry Kath died - I saw them for Chicago X and it wasn't the same. Some of my best concerts- Emerson,Lake, and Palmer at Hershey for $4.50, Genesis, Queen, Rush twice 1979 and 1981, Beach Boys 4 times, Styx, Paul McCartney in 1990, Todd Rundgren at a small club in Harrisburg, Grateful Dead twice, I could go on and on .... if only I still had some of the brain cells I fried. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
04-19-2003, 11:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr>

...I always went for the Oldies which would include performers from the 50s-70s. Of course, it was touch and go on the original members, but good stuff nonetheless. <hr /></blockquote>

I started a new job in 1995. I saw on the employee roster a name "Carl Dobkins Jr". I thought that sounded real familiar. Sure enogh he's an old rock-and-roller. He said every time some company re-releases a collection of oldies that includes one of his songs he walks out to his mailbox 6 months later and find a residual check for 4 or 5 G's /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

http://www.carldobkinsjr.com/

Wally_in_Cincy
04-19-2003, 11:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> My first concert was Chicago before Terry Kath died - I saw them for Chicago X and it wasn't the same.

<font color="blue">Terry Kath was a guitar god. </font color>

Some of my best concerts- Emerson,Lake, and Palmer at Hershey for $4.50,

<font color="blue">Missed them. Would have liked that. </font color>

Genesis,

<font color="blue">They put me to sleep. Good thing I was standing up. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif </font color>

Queen,

<font color="blue">Saw 'em. Fantastic. </font color>

Rush twice 1979 and 1981, Beach Boys 4 times, Styx, Paul McCartney in 1990, Todd Rundgren at a small club in Harrisburg,

<font color="blue">Was he recording "Back to the Bars" ?

Man how could I forget Todd. Saw Todd and Utopia at Dayton's Hara Arena touring for the album "Black and White". They came out in at first in black jeans and white t-shirts, no flash at all, and jammed on some simple rock-and-roll tunes. Then after a break the stage lights came on, the curtain opened and there was Todd in full regalia descending on a trapeze of some sort off of a 30-ft. pyramid. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Then they played the more progessive stuff. It was quite enjoyable. Todd is a god. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif </font color>

Grateful Dead twice,

<font color="blue">They put me to sleep too /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

I could go on and on .... if only I still had some of the brain cells I fried. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I forgot one... UFO, one of my all-time faves, 19.....?? /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

dg-in-centralpa
04-19-2003, 12:27 PM
Wally - ELP had just recorded Works Vol. 1 - I missed them with the orchestra that had been touring with them. I can't remember what Todd was promoting. It was after Back to the Bars though. I think the one time was P.O.V. I saw Todd with the Tubes at the Tower theatre in Philly. Phenominal show. The show was highly charged and sensual, if you ever saw the Tubes, you'll understand. I went to the Dead for the parking lot atmosphere. Sting opened up for them at Giant Stadium. I also saw David Bowie on the Let's Dance tour. Dave Mason and New Riders of the Purple Sage separately in a bar that only held 200 people. Little Feat at the Tower Theatre when they had come back in the early 90's. I went to an after show party across the street at a little club where Little Feat was signing autographs and schmoozing with the people and the Delaware Destroyers came in to party as well, minus George Thorogood. Although he was at the concert. So I sat and drank a few with Thorogoods' band. What a trip! Also saw Asia when there first album came out, Saw an outdoor show in '79 that featured Edgar Winter(washed up), Blackfoot, Mahogany Rush, Scorpions, and Ted Nugent was the headliner. Also saw Yes on the 90125 tour. "Those were the days my friends we thought they would never end..." Who remembers this song and who did it?

nAz
04-19-2003, 12:40 PM
My first really big concert was Pink Floyd back in the '80s went with a buddy got high On Acid and Tequila I think I had a great time /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I would catch the next best thing to going to a live concert a Laser show at the Hayden Planetarium in NYC. What a trip they would have laser Zeppelin, Floyd, Hendrix and sometimes a mix of others. Man with all Blatter I took back then is it a wonder why I am so messed up now?

As for the Doors I love most of their unpopular music, At 6 flags great adventure NJ I saw a tribute band called The Crystal Ship, they were pretty good and the lead singer looked and sang like Morrison.

Wally_in_Cincy
04-19-2003, 01:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Wally - ELP had just recorded Works Vol. 1 - I missed them with the orchestra that had been touring with them. I can't remember what Todd was promoting. It was after Back to the Bars though. I think the one time was P.O.V. I saw Todd with the Tubes at the Tower theatre in Philly. Phenominal show. The show was highly charged and sensual, if you ever saw the Tubes, you'll understand. I went to the Dead for the parking lot atmosphere. Sting opened up for them at Giant Stadium. I also saw David Bowie on the Let's Dance tour.

<font color="blue">I would have loved to have seen Bowie. He's a true star. </font color>

Dave Mason and New Riders of the Purple Sage separately in a bar that only held 200 people. Little Feat at the Tower Theatre when they had come back in the early 90's.

<font color="blue">Probably with Cincy's own Craig Fuller (formerly of ...uh... they sang "Aimee whatchoo gonna do.." /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif damn CRS disease /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif</font color>

I went to an after show party across the street at a little club where Little Feat was signing autographs and schmoozing with the people and the Delaware Destroyers came in to party as well, minus George Thorogood. Although he was at the concert. So I sat and drank a few with Thorogoods' band. What a trip!

<font color="blue">Cool. I saw Throgood at Bogart's in Cincy (500 seat capacity) right when they came out. Talk about stripped down rock and roll. </font color>

Also saw Asia when there first album came out,

<font color="blue">Asia with John Wetton. He did one album with Wishbone Ash back in the early 80's </font color>

Saw an outdoor show in '79 that featured Edgar Winter(washed up), Blackfoot, Mahogany Rush,

<font color="blue">Saw Mahog Rush at Hara arena in Dayton. They were very good. </font color>

Scorpions, and Ted Nugent was the headliner. Also saw Yes on the 90125 tour. "Those were the days my friends we thought they would never end..." Who remembers this song and who did it?

<font color="blue">Mary Hopkin, on the Apple label. Wonder if she had to service McCartney to get that deal? /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif </font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

Wally~~does pretty good at Trivial Pursuit

John G
04-19-2003, 02:10 PM
It was in the 60s. I was there, I think. I don't remember. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Barbara
04-19-2003, 02:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> I saw Todd with the Tubes at the Tower theatre in Philly. Phenominal show. The show was highly charged and sensual, if you ever saw the Tubes, you'll understand. <hr /></blockquote>

The Tubes at the Tower?? I was there, too! Funny, I don't remember Todd though, so you may have some competition in the "brain cell damage" category!

Barbara~~~trying to remember that Tubes song and can't... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Karatemom
04-19-2003, 03:34 PM
First concert: Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble, 1986. At that time, Cold Shot was my favorite song. There was no one better on the guitar than Stevie, except Jimi Hendrix, but I never got the chance to see him. Those were 2 fellas that will remain guitar icons for a long time to come.

Best concert: December 2001, Rob Zombie and Ozzy Osbourne. Ozzy had broken his leg but was still performing. You could tell he wasn't quite up to the job, taking breaks after each song and sometimes in the middle of one. The best part of the whole show was Zombie anyway. His special effects are unrivaled! Huge, 10 ft mechanical, flame throwing robots with glaring red eyes, a huge stage set up. Absolutely unbeatable! That was a night none of us will forget. Didn't want it to end.

Heide

L.S. Dennis
04-19-2003, 05:06 PM
As I said in another post, my first concert was at the old Fillmore auditorium the featured The Grateful Dead, the Chicago Blues Band and the Doors. The admission was $3.50 for that one! This was in 1967 I beleive. Over the years I've seen just about all the great guitar heroes, Clapton, Page, Hendrix, Alvin Lee, Jeff Beck, but in my opinion the best of all was (is) Robben Ford.

dg-in-centralpa
04-19-2003, 06:12 PM
Wally - It was with Craig Fuller, he was with Pure Prairie League. Barbara - The Tubes biggest hit was "She's a Beauty", "Talk to Ya Later" and then "White Punks on Dope". I also got to meet the two remaining members of Badfinger, Billy Preston, Gerry Marsden from Gerry and the Pacemakers, Johnny Johnson who was the piano player for Chuck Berry and then played with Clapton on the Royal Albert Hall album and had a phone call from Eric Bloom from Blue Oyster Cult. Very good on the Mary Hopkin. I'm not bad either on musical trivial pursuit. Speaking of oldies performers, Jimmy Clanton who had one hit, was a minister in a town about 10 miles from where I live. He would not acknowledge his past in the early days of rock and roll.

dg-in-centralpa
04-19-2003, 06:16 PM
Wally - as a former garage band drummer, did your band ever cut any records? The 60's garage bands had a great sound that you just couldn't find. Some of that stuff is worth quite a bit of money.

dg-in-centralpa
04-19-2003, 06:30 PM
<font color="purple"> </font color> Hello..this is Mrs. DG in central pa. Most memorable concert for me wasn't until I was around 35. Took a bus trip to see the Dead in Giant Stadium with my husband. I'd never seen the dead and wanted to experience it. Wow. /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gifThe parking lot was amazing. I've never seen the american spirit of entreprenurialship as much as I did there! People were selling everything from tie-dyed underwear to bottles of air and everything in-between. And the wonderful part about that (and all the other events happening in the parking lot) was that nobody pushed, or shoved, or harassed you. The cops were there, but only in case someone was getting hurt...it really was a "we are all brothers and sisters" feeling. Now I've been to a James Taylor concert where the crowd got very nasty and started throwing lit matches at the people in front of them. But I'm proud to say that I was at a Dead concert when Jerry was still with us. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy the concert as much as the parking lot...

dg-in-centralpa
04-19-2003, 06:41 PM
I almost forgot, I also saw Cheech and Chong right after "Up in Smoke" came out. I laughed so hard I damn near pissed my pants.

L.S. Dennis
04-19-2003, 07:18 PM
I remember going to a Doors' comcert sometime in the early 70s' and Jim Morrison was so out of it he couldn't remember the words to his songs and just made gutteral noises. He eventually fell down into the light well in the stage. As he crawled up and out of the light well Bill Graham the owner of the Fillmore made his way up through the audience to the front of the stage to try to catch him in case he fell down off the stage. At this time Morrison picked up the microphone stand and hit him on the head with the heavy end cold cockting him! I've never seen anything like that before or since. This is a true story!

eg8r
04-19-2003, 10:45 PM
Wow Wally, and I was going to brag about the talent night that I won. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have not had the luxury of attending too many concerts and I am sure the ones that I have been to will not excite anyone but here they are... Maynard Ferguson, Doc Severinsen and the Tonight Show Band, Allen Vizzutti, Arturo Sandoval, The Marsalis family, Branford Marsalis (touring with his youngest brother Jason, who plays drums), Garth Brooks, Boyz 2 Men, Eagles, Billy Joel, Blues Traveller, and Jewel.

The beginning few are all famous jazz trumpeters and they are my favorite concerts ever. I was an aspiring performance major and had a scholorship to the University of Miami music program, but they only paid half the tuition. At the time, I could not afford the other half. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif Just think, maybe people would be coming to hear me play. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

What a mix. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I was also part of a concert of sorts, I played in the Macy's Parade.

I have also been to see Phantom of the Opera, Cats, Chicago, and Miss Saigon.

eg8r

Kato
04-19-2003, 11:32 PM
My first was Black Sabbath w/Ronnie James Dio singing. Best, by far, Metallica during the Ride The Lightning Tour. Favorite stage show, W.A.S.P. in the Omni in Atlanta. Unbelievable. My favorite band is/was Armored Saint. Saw them in a club in 1998, loved it. Only band I want to see now is Dream Theater. I can't wait 'till they come back to So Fla, I bet they are amazing. Another great show to see is the Moody Blue with the orchestra.

Kato

PS. I saw Marylyn Manson and the Spooky Kids before he hit the bigtime. He is from South Florida, saw a Halloween concert, really wierd. The Genetortures opened, not for the faint of heart.

Voodoo Daddy
04-20-2003, 04:45 AM
First Concert; At a theme park called Pirates World located in North Miami in the early 70's, my aunt &lt;hippie/burnout&gt; took me there and we saw LED ZEPPELIN. I didnt know it was them until decades later when I asked her who we saw...HAHAHA. She took me to see everyone before I could drive. Lucky for me I saw some great guitar slingers like Randy Rhoades, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Clapton, Jeff Beck, Van Halen, Leslie West, Tom Sholtz, Allen Holdswroth and Robert Fripp.

The BEST concert; its a toss-up. Grand Funk's comeback in the mid 80's...Deep Purples comeback in the mid 80's or the Pink Floyd show at the Orange Bowl in the mid 80's make up a top three...if I didnt see STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN/JEFF BECK...weeks before SRV's untimely death.

Voodoo Daddy
04-20-2003, 04:55 AM
I too grew up a horn player with influences like Al Hirt, Dizzy Guliesppe {SP}, Doc Severenson and the imortal's...Miles Davis and Maynard Ferguson. I went as far as to save money to own a Maynard Ferguson "Super Horn". Arturo Sandoval is another story all together. I have seen him several times in small venues in Miami when he defected from Cuba. What most people dont know is that he is a awesome piano player. Anyone interested in listening to some quality horn...buy/burn Arturo's CD's "Flight for Freedom" or "I remember Clifford"..

eg8r
04-20-2003, 11:15 AM
Arturo rocks. I love listening to him play. There are a couple more CDs of his that are just as good as I Remember Clifford, my favorite is Latin Train (I am not positive about the name). If you like the I Remember Clifford Cd, then you should buy some Clifford Brown CDs. Clifford Brown is the man Arturo pays tribute to. What Arturo struggled and took about a year to play, Clifford Brown was doing as improv while he was in his 20s. All the music that you hear Arturo play was from the songs that Clifford help make famous, and all the lines that are now seen as melody were originally improvised lines from Clifford perfomances. He was a great.

You brought up Al Hirt and I forgot to mention him. While I was in New Orleans I had a chance to go to Al's club and he was playing a few short sessions with the band. He was awesome also. I love dixieland jazz. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I just went a couple weeks ago to see Maynard Ferguson. He reminds me of watching Mizerak playing pool. Maynard could play his butt off but only for very short bursts and he was gasping for air and panting like a dog. Age and weight have become a problem. A couple years ago I saw the Miz play J. Lee in an exhibition match here in Orlando. The Miz would be playing great, but instead of continuing his run he would play safe so he could sit down and rest (This info I overheard Nick Varner telling Mike Sigel. we were lucky to sit behind these two.)

As far as Dizzy Gillespie, I love him. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif What range and flexibility with the chops. If you like Dizzy, then look for a CD called Into the Faddisphere, by Jon Faddis. Jon is Dizzy's protege and he does things Dizzy was never able to do. Amazing to start a gig off with a double C and hold it for 48 beats. Jon is the high note king.

eg8r

dg-in-centralpa
04-20-2003, 05:58 PM
I also was a horn player once upon a few decades ago. I was into Herb Alpert and Bill Chase, remember him? I saw Maynard but didn't care for his style. I saw him in the early 70's at a small college where I live. His lead trumpet player was from my hometown. I listened to Al Hirt and Doc Severinson, but only cared for one tune by Doc - For Whom the Bell Tolls. Dizzy was good and Miles was different. How I long for the days when a whole album was that good that every song could be a hit. When songs meant something. I've been pretty much disatisfied with music and think the whole industry took a crap. Although I heard a guitarist last summer by the name of Esteban. Catch him if you can. This dude is unreal. He studied under Segovia. The master himself. Lately he's been found on the shopping channel, but you gotta give him a listen.

eg8r
04-20-2003, 09:58 PM
I tend to like the more recent musicians, just because I did not have much of a chance to hear the older ones. Thanks to the internet that has changed. I also have picked up a ton of music at the library. For some reason every library I have ever been in, they have been infatuated with Miles Davis. I hate Miles' style of play. It is tough to find some Miles music that I will listen to.

I will say, our listening styles might be a little different. I am very much into the high energy type play and IIRC Herb Alpert did not fit into that category. I love the Kenton and Dorsey bands, and they had wonderful brass sections. I also love to listen to Harry Connick Jrs. Red light Blue light CD. Those horns had some chops. LOL

I like Maynard because of the range and the length of time he has kept those chops. I think Wynton Marsalis is the greatest all around trumpeter however, Maurice Andre is the closest there is. I have seen Wynton play 2 songs when I was New Orleans the last time I was there, and he just showed up to the jazz club unexpected. He really plays dixie very well. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Another great trumpeter is James Morrison. He is from Australia and is amazing. He plays just about every instrument at the professional level. I have read in other publications, that James Morrison is the reason Wynton Marsalis has started doing serious practice again (not that he ever quit, James is just that good) /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif This guy is awesome. He has the range of Maynard Ferguson, the sound of Wynton Marsalis and the command of Allen Vizzutti. That is my opinion at least.

eg8r

04-21-2003, 12:35 AM
My first concert I went to see Oasis at Hammerstein Ballroom in New York city 1997.

CarolNYC
04-21-2003, 04:14 AM
Bob Seger,Who,Clapton,Pink Floyd,Bruce Springsteen,Zappa,CSNY,Joni Mitchell,Dead,Kinks,Allman brothers,John Mayall,Tina Turner( OPENING for Lionel Richie,ha ha ha),Yes,ZZTOP,Lynrd Skynrd,Meatloaf,Grace Slick,Doobie Brothers,Joan jett,ELP-
In Central Park they use to hold free concerts called the "Schaefer" concerts-also Nassau Coliseum-the Garden
Now kids groups-Whitney Houston,Spice girls ,Nsync
Carol~many years of music! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
04-21-2003, 06:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> I also was a horn player once upon a few decades ago. I was into Herb Alpert and Bill Chase, remember him?.....
<hr /></blockquote>

Of course, doesn't everybody? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I think I've still got that "Chase" album lying around somewhere.

Wally~~now thinking dg might beat me in musical Trivial Pursuit /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
04-21-2003, 06:40 AM
I used to like jazz a lot. I saw Lee Ritenour, Jean-Luc Ponty, Stanley Clarke, Yusef Lateef(free ticket, not my cup of tea) and probably others I can't recall. I guess that's more fusion than true jazz.

Actually I still like it but I don't listen to too much. My favorite anymore is Latin jazz, Tito Puente in particular. Any recommendations in addition to Arturo Sandoval?

BTW, I was about as good a drummer as I am a poolplayer. Barely adequate, but good enough to fake it for 1 or 2 sets /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
04-21-2003, 06:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Wally - as a former garage band drummer, did your band ever cut any records? .....<hr /></blockquote>

You're joking right? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Naw we played a few gigs. That's about it. We used to play at this place that was a combination fishing pay-lake and biker bar. Their motto "Fish to Live, Live to Fish". We could just jam on "Red House" for 20 minutes and those guys were happy.

Barbara
04-21-2003, 07:22 AM
Wally,

Pete and I went to a Stanley Clarke show at a little club in West Philly when we were dating.

Stanley spotted me in the audience, came down off the stage, parted the crowd, and played right in front of me. he had the wildest guitar - it didn't have fret lines but LED lights!!

Barbara~~~also saw Jean Luc Ponty with Stanley...

Ralph S.
04-21-2003, 07:54 AM
During the 80's I played in a number of hard rock/metal bands. Later on in the 90's I set up major acts at a major midwest nightclub. I have litterally seen them all and worked for a lot of them and have the proof to back it up.

The best concert, hands down Alice Cooper. Met him in person twice. Very nice person and very mellow off stage. He even bought me lunch the second time I met him.

The wildest concert would be when Metallica was opening for Ozzy Osbourne. This was right before Metallica;s original bassist was killed when they toured overseas.

My first concert....You just cant go wrong with AC/DC as your first concert. They also were right there with Ronnie James Dio as the loudest concerts I have ever been to.

Voodoo Daddy
04-21-2003, 08:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> I used to like jazz a lot. I saw Lee Ritenour, Jean-Luc Ponty, Stanley Clarke, Yusef Lateef(free ticket, not my cup of tea) and probably others I can't recall. I guess that's more fusion than true jazz.

Actually I still like it but I don't listen to too much. My favorite anymore is Latin jazz, Tito Puente in particular. Any recommendations in addition to Arturo Sandoval?

BTW, I was about as good a drummer as I am a poolplayer. Barely adequate, but good enough to fake it for 1 or 2 sets /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

The drummer for Jean Luc Ponte` is absolutely amazing. He sounds like 28 players...playin' all at once ala Neil Pert!!

Voodoo Daddy
04-21-2003, 08:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> I tend to like the more recent musicians, just because I did not have much of a chance to hear the older ones. Thanks to the internet that has changed. I also have picked up a ton of music at the library. For some reason every library I have ever been in, they have been infatuated with Miles Davis. I hate Miles' style of play. It is tough to find some Miles music that I will listen to.
<hr /></blockquote>

I always said that...he is a hard listen. I also say that if it wasnt for heroin, Miles Davis and Jerry Garcia would have been Insurance salesmen? HAHAHAHA Miles last effort before he died, "Doo Bop" was a cool combo of classic Miles and the urban sounds of the time. I would rather listen to Miles than listen to a two-dollar pool player whine about the bad rolls, anyday...HAHAHAHA!!!

SpiderMan
04-21-2003, 09:39 AM
Back in HS two friends and I had a psychedelic stage-lighting business, so we attended a lot of small concerts as crew (Mollock, Highsteppers, Caboose, Nugent/Amboy Dukes, etc). We were all underage by a mile, but they had to let us in or play in the dark. All the big performers generally had their own light shows.

Anyway, first concert was Three Dog Night around 1971 in Memphis. Best concert was Rolling Stones in 1989 at Fair Park, or Sonny Terry / Brownie McGhee with SR Vaughn &amp; the T-Birds in 1982 at the Agora Ballroom. Most memorable concert was Grand Funk Railroad in 1974 in Jackson. Worst concert was either KC &amp; Sunshine Band at Starfest in Dallas ('88?) or Three-Legged Billy at Harrison's Bait Shop in Walls, MS ('73).

SpiderMan

MikeM
04-21-2003, 10:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>

<font color="blue">Probably with Cincy's own Craig Fuller (formerly of ...uh... they sang "Aimee whatchoo gonna do.." /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif damn CRS disease /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif</font color>
<font color="red">Pure Prairie League. </font color>
<hr /></blockquote>

MikeM
04-21-2003, 11:33 AM
First concert: Aerosmith, 1978 Cap Centre

Best Concert: Live Aid 1985 Philly, or any Springsteen show (I'm up to about 18 of those since 1980)

Loudest: Robin Trower at the Bayou in DC in 1985. Small club VERY loud guitar, much ear damage!

'85 was my big concert year. Saw many modern guitar greats, Page (twice, once with The Firm and at Live Aid), Van Halen, Clapton (twice), Trower, Thorogood (at Smith Center GWU &amp; Live Aid), Pat Metheny (at Wolftrap - great place to see a show), George Benson (also Wolftrap).

Some of the best performances I've seen were opening acts. In '79 0r '80 I saw Ted Nugent with an unheard of act out of LA called Van Halen. Eddie's guitar blew away Nugent's and he wasn't happy about it. In '88 I went to see the Beastie Boys and Public Enemy opened for them.

More recently, my best friend and I chaperoned his 15 yr old daughter and a friend a few years ago at the Tibetan Freedom Festival at RFK. This was the day after the lightning strike so there were even more bands than planned. Saw Pearl Jam, REM, The Beastie Boys, Tribe Called Quest, Radiohead and The Red Hot Chili Peppers among others. Great show, but after 9 hours in the pit I realized how old I'm getting.

MM

Kato
04-21-2003, 12:14 PM
Loudest concert? Hah, ain't any of ya can beat this because it can't be beat. 2002, Lake Worth Florida in a club meant for 1000 people packed in 2000 metal heads. 2 opening bands warmed up for 30 minutes each and then Slayer came on and assulted all of my senses for 2 hours. Any band I've seen until then couldn't compare. Athrax, Megadeth, Metallica, Overkill, Death Angel, Armored Saint, Savatage, whatever. Not one of 'em pounded your brain that hard. I didn't spend 1 second in the pit that night. There were fights galore, guys stumbling out of the pit ever 5 minutes bleeding. I was drenched in sweat, 90% deaf, and exhausted. Must a been 110 degrees in that box. Security earned their money that night. That concert marked the last thrash/speed metal concert I'll ever attend.

Mike, you realized how old you WERE getting? That night I realized how old I AM.

Kato

Wally_in_Cincy
04-21-2003, 12:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MikeM:</font><hr> ....Some of the best performances I've seen were opening acts. In '79 0r '80 I saw Ted Nugent with an unheard of act out of LA called Van Halen. Eddie's guitar blew away Nugent's and he wasn't happy about it.

<font color="blue">
Did the Nuge shoot him? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

We went to see Mott the Hoople in 1974 and a little known band called Aerosmith pretty much blew them away. When I saw Montrose they were opening for Jo Jo Gunn if you can believe that /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.... I know the next question, "Who's Jo Jo Gunn?" LOL </font color>

...Great show, but after 9 hours in the pit I realized how old I'm getting.

<font color="blue">9 minutes would be plenty for me. </font color>
<hr /></blockquote>

Wally_in_Cincy
04-21-2003, 12:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>
....Most memorable concert was Grand Funk Railroad in 1974 in Jackson.

<font color="blue">I think I saw that same tour. Univ. of Cincy Nippert Stadium in 1974. They were very good. </font color>

....Three-Legged Billy at Harrison's Bait Shop in Walls, MS ('73).

<font color="blue">Well my band used to play at a pay lake so that pretty close to a bait shop LOL </font color>

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

SpiderMan
04-21-2003, 12:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>
....Most memorable concert was Grand Funk Railroad in 1974 in Jackson.

<font color="blue">I think I saw that same tour. Univ. of Cincy Nippert Stadium in 1974. They were very good. </font color>
<hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote>

Wally,

Do you remember a backdrop projection of seagulls just before the beginning of "Closer to Home?". If so, probably same tour.

We got my roommate's 302 shoehorned back into his '67 mustang just in time to head for the concert. It was about a four-hour drive from Oxford. We didn't have time to put the exhaust system back on, the headers stopped just below our feet, so our ears were already numb when we arrived.

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
04-21-2003, 12:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> I know the next question, "Who's Jo Jo Gunn?" LOL </font color>
<hr /></blockquote>

"load up your mama, ride on out to the line" /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan

Wally_in_Cincy
04-21-2003, 01:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>
...We didn't have time to put the exhaust system back on, the headers stopped just below our feet, so our ears were already numb when we arrived.

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

LOL

I drove my 1964 Chevy Bel Air station wagon. At one point coming home on the freeway I looked at the speedo and it said 35 mph...marijuana factor ya know /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thank goodness there was no traffic. I can't believe I only got arrested once (underage drinking) , all the s**t we did.

MikeM
04-21-2003, 02:04 PM
Kato,

Me and my buddy did find our true calling in the pit that day. We are talented at launching 15-18 year olds for crowd surfing!

MM...If I were to crowd surf there would be some crushed concert-goers.

Kato
04-21-2003, 02:09 PM
You're a big guy Mike. I believe you. You mentioned old age creeping up. How bad did you feel the next day? I know it was worth it. Sounds fun.

Kato&gt;~~~~hates Chili Peppers

MikeM
04-21-2003, 02:16 PM
The next day hell, I could hardly walk to the car that night. It was nine hours in the sun with no food and very little drink. The next day at work I could barely move.

MM...Loves THE Chili Peppers

Kato
04-21-2003, 02:36 PM
Typical "Old Man Still Rockin' Out" Syndrome. Play with the kids but the next couple days ya gotta hibernate.

Kato~~~believes the pit with Chilli Peppers is not quite the pit at Slayer.

dg-in-centralpa
04-21-2003, 03:09 PM
Wally- I'm dead serious. Many local bands across the states recorded on small labels in the 60's. I used to deal in rare records years ago. The records needed a fuzz guitar sound and a driving guitar solo. Those are worth, depending on the sound $100 each and up. I know it's crazy but there is big money in old records and memorabilia.

dg-in-centralpa
04-21-2003, 03:59 PM
Wally - Jo Jo Gunne 's big hit was "Run Run Run." Great song but I can't remember who came from the band and made it big. Boz Scaggs? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

bluewolf
04-21-2003, 04:13 PM
First- Iron Butterfly

Black sabbath=got to sit on the stage

But found out they sung about dark deeds and such. Back then I was too stoned to know the difference. Now listen to nice quiet stuff and dont get stoned anymore /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Laura

dg-in-centralpa
04-21-2003, 05:48 PM
Wally - it was Jay Ferguson who came from Jo Jo Gunne. He had a pop hit in the late 70's called Thunder Island. Only hit he ever had. He also came from Spirit to form Jo Jo Gunne.

DG - who used to get paid to know this stuff but forgot a lot after being out of the business for 7 years.

Barbara
04-21-2003, 06:18 PM
Thunder Island!!! I remember that song, too!!

White Punks on Dope by the Tubes, whatever. You are a man of a thousand memories!!!

Woohoo!!!

Barbara~~~next year you get some nuts so we can talk!!!

dg-in-centralpa
04-21-2003, 08:03 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gifBarbara, I'll take you up on the nuts. If not at VF, somewhere along the line. It will be most enjoyable.

It wasn't planes that got him, it was beauty that killed the beast. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Voodoo Daddy
04-22-2003, 04:29 AM
KATO...you lil ankle-biter. The loudest concert venue in Florida was "Summers" on the Beach. I saw Trower there a few times, Travers too. Robin Trowers "Stitch of Time" is/was one of my favorite songs...he played that so loud one night people were falling out from eardrum wounds. Travers...on the other hand played "Smokin' Whiskey, Drinkin' Cocaine" so loud I needed to break off cigarette butts off fresh smokes and put 'em in my ears!!!! HAHAHAHAHA

Wally_in_Cincy
04-22-2003, 06:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Wally - it was Jay Ferguson who came from Jo Jo Gunne.

<font color="blue">Oh yeah. I had forgotten about the short but dreary solo career of Jay F. </font color>

He had a pop hit in the late 70's called Thunder Island. Only hit he ever had.

<font color="blue">Probably one of the worst songs of all time, on my list right below "Beagle Jet Air-O-Liner" by the pathetic Steve Miller (although I did like "Your Cash ain't Nuthin' but Trash) </font color>

He also came from Spirit to form Jo Jo Gunne.

<font color="blue">Hmm, never knew that. I liked Spirit. </font color>

DG - who used to get paid to know this stuff but forgot a lot after being out of the business for 7 years. <hr /></blockquote>

9 Ball Girl
04-22-2003, 09:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> KATO...you lil ankle-biter<hr /></blockquote>

Bahahahahaha!

Wendy~~~prefers nibbles... /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

dg-in-centralpa
04-22-2003, 03:29 PM
Wally- Don't judge Steve Miller on that disgrace of an album. Pick up The Joker, or anything prior to that. They are very good. I can stomach Jay F. over some of these other timeless forgettable classics like Afternoon Delight by The Starland Vocal Band, Magnet and Steel by Walter Egan, Wildfire by Michael Murphy, I Go Crazy by Paul Davis,
Stars on 45.

SpiderMan
04-22-2003, 04:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Wally- Don't judge Steve Miller on that disgrace of an album. Pick up The Joker, or anything prior to that. They are very good. I can stomach Jay F. over some of these other timeless forgettable classics like Afternoon Delight by The Starland Vocal Band, Magnet and Steel by Walter Egan, Wildfire by Michael Murphy, I Go Crazy by Paul Davis,
Stars on 45. <hr /></blockquote>

Or Beatles arrangements by the Carpenters. Or anything by Tony Orlando &amp; Dawn.

SpiderMan

dg-in-centralpa
04-22-2003, 05:22 PM
No argument there Spiderman. We might as well throw in all disco songs too.

Beatles4Ever

Kato
04-22-2003, 06:24 PM
Yeah, I saw some shows at Summers. My vote was the old Button South. I used to leave that place when the sun was starting to get warm. Saw some monster thrash bands there. Somehow I doubt Robin Trower puts out the same decibel levels as Slayer, maybe I'm wrong.

Kato~~~only bites ankles of the big man and avoids the flailing legs at all costs.

Rod
04-22-2003, 08:14 PM
I don't remember my first concert. I have given it some thought too. The 60's were rough! I would liked to have seen Lou Reed or David Bowie and of course Annie Lennox or a host of others. To many to name really.

Rod

MikeM
04-23-2003, 07:45 AM
HEY,

That "disgrace of an album" - Book Of Dreams - was my very first LP, so it has a warm place in my heart. Although once my father told me he liked it I immediately made Cat Scratch Fever my second album. I followed that with a few Kiss and Aerosmith albums and my father hated my music as it should be.

MM

dg-in-centralpa
04-23-2003, 03:03 PM
MikeM - sorry we won't hold that against you.

Fran Crimi
04-23-2003, 06:17 PM
First concert: Sly and the Family Stone.(Mid 70's?) Dance to the Music, at the Garden. They had everybody jumping out of their seats. Great music.

One of the best ones I'd seen was Jethro Tull at the Garden doing their entire Aqualung and Thick as a Brick albums.

Wally, I saw Edgar Winter too. He actually did Frankenstein which became an immediate hit right after. I think he opened for Johnny that night and I remember liking Edgar's performance better.

Fran

Rich R.
04-24-2003, 04:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> One of the best ones I'd seen was Jethro Tull at the Garden doing their entire Aqualung and Thick as a Brick albums.<hr /></blockquote>
Fran, I saw Jethro Tull when they were touring after release of the "Benefit" album. I think that album put them on the map.
I saw them in my home town, in northeastern Pa., in an old movie theater. The sound in the theater was amazing, compared to any arena or stadium concert. One of the best concerts I have ever seen.

I can still picture Ian Anderson, in his bathrobe, standing on one foot and playing the flute. Not your normal rock and roll image. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9 Ball Girl
04-24-2003, 08:45 AM
Wow. You guys saw all of these bands when they were at their prime. Sigh.

Wendy&lt;---Oh man! I think, no, I know I was born 20 years too late.../ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
04-24-2003, 09:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr>
Fran, I saw Jethro Tull when they were touring after release of the "Benefit" album. I think that album put them on the map.
I saw them in my home town, in northeastern Pa., in an old movie theater. The sound in the theater was amazing, compared to any arena or stadium concert. One of the best concerts I have ever seen.

I can still picture Ian Anderson, in his bathrobe, standing on one foot and playing the flute. Not your normal rock and roll image. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Sweeeet... Yeah, Benefit was their big breakthrough LP. Man they were really in their prime at that time. In that venue that would have been awesome. cool....

Rich R.
04-24-2003, 10:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Sweeeet... Yeah, Benefit was their big breakthrough LP. Man they were really in their prime at that time. In that venue that would have been awesome. cool.... <hr /></blockquote>
Wally, there ain't nothin' like hearing a good band in a real theater, with decent acoustics. Tull sounded way better live than I have ever heard them on a recording. Just unbelievable. I had fifth row seats. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The kids today do not know what they are giving up, when they go to an ultra large arena or stadium for a concert. It just ain't about the music any more. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

That town in Pa. had two theaters, that were once used for stage performances, but at that time, were primarily used for movies. It was not hard for them to hoist the movie screens out of the way, to open up the stage.
Unfortunately, the theater I saw Tull in, is no longer there. However, a very well healed business man purchased the other theater about 10 or 15 years ago, completely restored it to it's original glory, and they bring in major performers. Not too much rock though, mostly the Vegas type performers. It is still nice for that community.

Fran Crimi
04-24-2003, 10:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> Wally, there ain't nothin' like hearing a good band in a real theater, with decent acoustics. Tull sounded way better live than I have ever heard them on a recording. Just unbelievable. I had fifth row seats. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<hr /></blockquote>

You're so right about that, Rich. I saw Chicago at Carnegie Hall, first tier balcony seats, which accoustically was supposed to be the best spot for Carnegie. It sure sounded like it. Absolutely incredible sound.

Fran

Rich R.
04-24-2003, 10:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Wow. You guys saw all of these bands when they were at their prime. Sigh.

Wendy&lt;---Oh man! I think, no, I know I was born 20 years too late.../ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Wendy, keep the 20 years. Your ahead of the game. Trust me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

BTW, at one of the local colleges in that town, I also saw the Vanilla Fudge, shortly before they broke up. Although it was in the colleges athletic arena, they still sounded great. There was nothing like Tim Bogart on "the Fender Bass" and Carmine Apice (sp) on the drums.

Fran Crimi
04-24-2003, 10:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr>
I can still picture Ian Anderson, in his bathrobe, standing on one foot and playing the flute. Not your normal rock and roll image. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, what was with that bathrobe? LOL! He was one weird looking guy. But man he could sure play that flute. What was your favorite Tull song? Mine was: I think it was a strange title, something like "Charlie Stole the Handle."

...and the train it wouldn't stop going, no way to slow it down....

He brought down the house with that one.

I used to think it was called "Locomotive Breath" but that would've made sense so I don't think that's the title. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran

Wally_in_Cincy
04-24-2003, 11:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> Yeah, what was with that bathrobe? LOL! He was one weird looking guy. But man he could sure play that flute. What was your favorite Tull song? Mine was: I think it was a strange title, something like "Charlie Stole the Handle."

...and the train it wouldn't stop going, no way to slow it down....

He brought down the house with that one.

I used to think it was called "Locomotive Breath" but that would've made sense so I don't think that's the title. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

"Locomotive Breath" is correct.

My favorite is from their first album. It's called "Nothing is Easy"

Wally~~remembers my hillbilly acquaintances saying "That Jethro Tull feller sure can play that flute" /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rich R.
04-24-2003, 11:48 AM
Fran, I just fell in love with just about the whole "Benefit" album. I still think it was the best album they ever did, although others got a lot more attention.

What I think is very amazing about Jethro Tull, is that they had many changes in personnel, through the years, but Ian Anderson was able to keep a very distinctive sound for the band.

Voodoo Daddy
04-27-2003, 07:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> There was nothing like Tim Bogart on "the Fender Bass" and Carmine Apice (sp) on the drums. <hr /></blockquote>

After the demise of Vanilla Fudge {I love the 17 minute version of "Keep me hangin on"} Bogart and Appice hooked it up with Jeff Beck forming Beck, Bogart and Appice, the power trio from hell. I once went to a Bass seminar with Tim Bogart was the guest speaker/player/instructor, boy could he play......

Predator314
05-01-2003, 01:04 PM
I live in the sticks, so we don't get many concerts in these parts. All the concerts I've been to are country concerts. I've seen Hank Williams Jr, Lynyrd Skynyrd (not the original band), John Anderson, Little Texas, Aaron Tippen, Alabama, Reba, Confederate Railroad, David Alan Coe, Charlie Daniels Band, Joe Diffie, and probably a few more.

The best was Hank/Skynyrd.

Bands I would love to see (some which will never happen):
Guns n' Roses
Godsmack
Alice in Chains
Kid Rock
Ozzy
Korn
Creed
Alan Jackson
Metallica
Ted Nugent/Damn Yankees