PDA

View Full Version : Most Racks Run

03-23-2002, 11:34 PM
Hello all,
What's the most racks strung together you have seen (not heresay) on a big table in 9-ball? This includes short racks.
The most I have seen is seven. I have heard of these mystery superman roadplayers stringing 15 and I just ain't buyin' it, after all I am from the "Show-Me" state (Mo.)

Tom_In_Cincy
03-23-2002, 11:46 PM
I saw Earl Strickland string a 10 pack for 50 a rack in the early 80s with a Meucci cue. The poor guy was getting a spot and after forking over the beans in the last rack, he just unscrewed his cue and walked out... never to be seen again..

Harold Acosta
03-23-2002, 11:57 PM
Did not see it but read about it in BD or P&B. Roger Griffis down 12-1 in a race to 13. He ran 11 consecutive racks in one of CJ Wileys Tournament. Lost the match 13-12. I'll do some research to try to find the article.

Another come from behind win was Reyes vs Strickland in that $100,000 tournament a few years back.

Harold

cuechick
03-24-2002, 12:06 AM
Yes I have the 100,000 on tape and it is a great comeback, though he does not run more the a few consecutive racks. I do remember reading when he won the World Championships in Cardiff he ran 10 racks on Bustemante. Afterwards (forever humble)Efren said "Yeah I play ok sometimes."

A few years ago in the New jersey State Championships, Allison broke and ran 5 racks to beat Karen Corr 7-0.

stickman
03-24-2002, 12:10 AM
I have seen 5 in a row. At our local poolhall the action table is a barbox time table with simonis cloth. For some reason everyone likes to play on it. I played a friend of mine, and he spotted me two games. It was a race to five and I never got to do anything but rack. He always shoots well but not always that well. He's a very good instructor, and has been very helpful to me. That was one lesson I didn't forget. /ccboard/images/icons/blush.gif

Ralph S.
03-24-2002, 01:47 AM
I have seen some roadies play and they were all verrrry good players, but one in particular that i have seen string racks in double digits is Weldon Rogers Jr. This guy was a very heavy player during the late 70's thru the early 90's. Not to mention he played as well 1 handed as most of us do 2 handed. He is originally from the N. Carolina area and played a great deal through out the mid- west. Possibly some of the elder statesmen of the CCB might remember him and have a little more info. Ralph S.

Tommy_Davidson
03-24-2002, 02:12 AM
I witnessed Johnny Archer run out an entire race to 13 on a Diamond,playing Bustamante for the cash. They agreed to a race to 13 for 5000,post up 2 sets. Francisco won the first set 13-10,won the lag for the second,broke,made nothing,then watched helplessly as Johnny ran out the set. Johnny turned around and asked Francisco "what do you think about that PAL?". Francisco stood up,looked Johhny dead in the eyes,and said "would you like to double the bet PAL?" I have also seen an entire 8-ahead on a bar box ran out,by a Memphis player that who snorted an entire 8-ball of cocaine,half up each side,right before the set. During this set,he hit a 9-ball into a corner pocket so hard that it broke a rail bolt,then wiped up the coke that fell out of his nose before the shot and licked his fingers. Efren's performance in the 100,000 dollar challenge match with Earl was also very impressive,breaking and running out 30 out of the last 36 games. Earl himself has an 11 rack run during tournament play,although most were short racks. Earl also has a bunch of 7-8 rack runs in tournaments,and claims to have run 15 racks in a gambling game once,although he said the table had 5 inch pockets. Another display of freakish strength I have witnessed was Alex Pagulyan running 14 racks of 10-ball,playing the ghost an 8-ahead set for 10,000,with the ghost on the hill. Tommy D.

Rod
03-24-2002, 03:43 AM
Scott the most I have seen is 8 racks against me and another guy in a ring game no less. It was a bar box and about half of them was a 9 or short rack.

The most I've run is 9 racks, against Louie Roberts.
The year abt 1974 in Phoenix, His backer Jackie Wright pulled up, I sure could have done a double digit that day!
I'll never know. I have 2 guys out here that said Bobby Hernandez( Bakersfield Bobby ) years ago run 11 racks!
BTW I forgot to add, my run was on a 9 footer, 1 nine ball break and one short rack.

03-24-2002, 04:17 AM
that's some incredible stuff tommy. i wish i was around for any extraordinary pool feats. the story i have to share is when i watched an old man who was a mentor to a friend of mine run 22 racks of nine-ball in his home while we racked the balls for him.

Rod
03-24-2002, 04:17 AM
Weldon Rogers! Thats a name out of the past. Ralph, I knew Weldon he lived here in AZ and owned a pool room years ago in Tucson. He and I are of the same time more or less. It dates back to the early 70's. Weldon was a dam good player especially when the money got high. I've never heard of or saw any double digit runs, but it doesn't mean he didn't.
He played better on the bar boxes in my opinion. We never played, but become friends. Its probably better because he would have tried to high roll me. He did spend some time in the joint and I saw him afterwards, in the 80's. I heard he went to Nashville and was 1/2 owner in a room there.
Weldon and Ronnie Allen played one pocket, 5 ahead for 2 or 3 thousand. The game was Weldon giving up 9 to 7 playing 2 handed and Ronnie playing one handed. Alternate breaks. Ronnie could play good one handed. I went back the next day and they were still playing the same set! I really don't remember who won. I may have heard but its been to many years.

Cuemage
03-24-2002, 08:37 AM
The most I have seen is 6 by Earl Strickland. He was behind in a race to 9 by 2-8 to Sparky. Sparky missed an easy 9 ball & Earl made the 9 & ran 6 & out.

The Cuemage

03-24-2002, 12:33 PM
Cuemage, that's a good story.....but I've seen better arithmetic
The Cuemage <hr></blockquote>

cheesemouse
03-24-2002, 12:42 PM
vapros,
yours must be that new math they speak of /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

cuechick
03-24-2002, 02:32 PM
It's you guys that can't add, he said Earl "made the 9 the guy missed", making it 3-8 THEN ran 6 racks. 9-8...hey I'mblonde and still figured it out/ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

cheesemouse
03-24-2002, 03:17 PM
Hey cuechick,
If your one-eyed cat, Eferen, was chasing me and I ran up your leg could you still count???
http://www.animation-station.com/anigifs/anim1394.gif http://images.animfactory.com/images/jerboa_stomp_sm_wht.gif

Cuemage
03-24-2002, 05:08 PM
Thanks Cuechick...I'll let'em go this time...we can't all be perfect.

The Cuemage

03-24-2002, 07:10 PM
Yep, I seem to have a little egg on my face. Mea culpa. Mea embarrassed. I'm semi-illegitimate. I can read and write, but not very good.

03-25-2002, 07:28 AM
I guess if were talking about running racks it includes 14.1?.....anyway....While I was working in a great little pool room here in S.E Pa I watched the local killer play a guy 80 no count straight pool!! talk about strong!...for those of you who never heard of that you have to run at least 80 or you get "0" on the string.He pounded the guy into submission 3-150 point games running 100's in 2 of them.Then while watching him practice one day while I was cleaning tables, he had me pick out a break ball from the rack for the next rack BEFORE he broke the rack open!! meaning he had to maneuver the one I picked out into a break position while running the balls. Friggin amazing!....Oh yea....He did this for 8 racks...didnt miss to stop the run,but coul'nt use the one I picked to continue....friggin amazing player......Gerry

Rod
03-25-2002, 12:19 PM
Scott, just curious because you started this thread.
From the eye witness stories, do you believe this stuff happens? I have a Missouri family background, and you don't have to show me, it's more a question of when?

03-25-2002, 01:34 PM

03-25-2002, 01:39 PM
Hi Rod,
Honestly, when I here or read stories about a guy who loses a high dollar set by four games, and then wants to quadruple the bet and his opponent agrees, to end up sitting, only to get up to rack 14 more games of 9-ball on a big table, then yea, I am just a little skeptical. My first clue that it is fairy-tale-land is I can't think of someone being so stupid to pump up the bet four times the amt after one set against someone they have never seen before.
Of course, it could be jealousy since I have a hard time stringing three together on a regular basis.

Rod
03-25-2002, 02:30 PM
Scott, that set between Archer and Busta is documented at some web site. I just saw it the other day. What better hustle or mind game can there be? It would make me feel a little insecure if I was Archer. Archer did lose that next set!

03-25-2002, 02:35 PM
I have personally seen 8 racks run in a race to 9. On the 9th rack, no ball was made on the break.

This was on a 9-foot Gold Crown, with Simonis 860. Pretty standard size pockets. About 2 balls width. Not really tight, but not really buckets, either.

Rod
03-25-2002, 03:27 PM
whitewolf, I'd come off the road in 71 when Cole come through Phoenix. I didn't know who he was, but then I doubt he knew who I was. He asked to play for $20. He played good, but not the Cole Dixon I've heard stories about since.
Cole didn't win and never asked to raise the bet.
I saw him in Vegas for a breif moment, early 80's, but I haven't seen him since. I always wanted to keep a low profile myself.
About 4 years ago Cole was here in Phoenix. My friend watched him play someone 1 pocket. I guess the bet was pretty good, but I don't remember who won. My friend did say Cole played terrible, and was drunk. He wasn't around long, and I guess he makes a living as a carpenter.
I'll bet there are a lot of good players, you never hear about again, I know a couple more myself.

03-25-2002, 04:38 PM
Hi Rod,
The Archer Busta match is not the match I am talking about (I guess I should have made that clear). My previous comments are not pertaining to any of the replies made here.

BillPorter
03-26-2002, 07:06 PM
Tommy,

Did you actually witness and HEAR Bustamante say, "would you like to double the bet, PAL?" That has to be one of the all-time strongest replies to someone running rack after rack on you! And then you have to tell me who won that next set!

03-26-2002, 07:09 PM
Yes, that is a true story. Maybe not those exact words, but Franscisco did want to do it again, at double the bet. And Francisco won.

Patrick
03-26-2002, 09:26 PM
Of course he would double the bet, Fransisco Bustamante had a bigger advantage. It is a very small chance that Johnny Archer would run another 13 racks. And maybe Johnny would be thinking of his 13 rack run all the time in the next match and wouldn't be able concentrate.

Patrick

Kato
03-27-2002, 01:41 PM
Johnny didn't double the bet. I think the story is on AZ Billiards.

Kato

Patrick
03-27-2002, 11:29 PM
I didn't say Johnny doubled the bet.
Francisco did.

Patrick

BillPorter
03-28-2002, 07:58 AM
Thanks, Kato...I found the story on AZ Billiards and learned that Bustamante won the next set! Pretty strong to step up and win the set after your opponent has just run 13 racks on you. Be nice to have that level of confidence...

Kato
03-28-2002, 08:11 AM
Patrick, Bustamante, who by all accounts is a monster asked to double the bet. Archer declined and yes, Bustamante won the next set.

Kato